“Outstanding and Very Helpful Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast & WiFi
Ranked #197 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Plano, Texas
“Outstanding and Very Helpful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I travel to NYC very infrequently and consider it somewhat intimidating. Last week I arrived at the Hilton Manhattan East only to find out that my work partner failed to make a reservation for me. I was very concerned having just flown into town and knowing little about big, scary NYC. However the Hilton employee at the desk, Cynthia, was great! She helped me search for my reservation using different possible names, waited for me to make several calls and when we realized I simply did not have a reservation, she picked up the phone and got me a reservation at a hotel around the corner. It was even a competitor and yet she still did this. Cynthia took care of my problem and calmed my nerves. I will certainly be coming back to this Hilton again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We met friends in NYC for a weekend of Broadway shows and sightseeing. Very convenient location, especially since we arrived at Grand Central Station by train from Connecticut. Easy walk to Broadway and subway connections to uptown and mid-town. Easy walk to Rockefeller Center, etc. Hotel room rate was great, but everything else at hotel was a little overpriced, especially the $28 breakfast. Don't worry though because there are plenty of reasonably priced options with good food nearby.

Room Tip: We were both in the tower toward the rear of the hotel in rooms xx12. These rooms are in the corner...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

First of all, upon arrival we walked into a closet sized room where the bed is offset from the tv. If you are laying on the bathroom side of the bed, expect to have your tv viewing partially obstructed. First order of business after arriving was using the bathroom. Quickly found out that the toilet was not functional, but that was not until after using said toilet. This made for a pretty unpleasant first hour or two in our room...a functional fan in the bathroom would have been great at this time. Called the front desk and they quickly sent up a repair man (very pleasant and professional considering the pretty gross situation) who had to install completely new components into the back of he toilet. This process took about a half hour or so as he came to and from the room leaving to get parts. What was frustrating is that due to traffic we had already arrived later than we had hoped. These repairs obviously restricted access to our bathroom so we were unable to get out on the town as soon as we had hoped. While staff was great in resolving the problem, there was no sort of compensation or accommodation offered to us.

Our second and final night, we decided to head in to our room early as it had been a long day. The plan was to turn on a movie and eat some take out. While we were flipping through channels, the tv screen inexplicably went black but the sound continued to play. After about 20 minutes of trying to figure out the problem, we just gave up. Considering it was after 11:00 pm we decided to count our losses and go to bed. We did not call the front desk because we did not feel like having staff in our room for an unknown amount of time as we were already prepared for bed.

Upon checkout, I informed the front desk of our unpleasant stay. I asked if I could be refunded in any way. I was informed by the front desk that they could not perform a refund (I find this hard to believe) but they offered us a free breakfast which I declined. Finally after talking some more, they agreed to refund one day of parking ($55). I was satisfied with this outcome, hence why I did not leave this review at 1 star.

This hotel is full of gimmicky type of "luxuries" that look like they were probably impressive in the 90s (which is probably the last time the toilets were serviced as well). For instance, a strange master control pad on the wall that lets you control the lights and electronics in the room. This control pad looks dated and only works on the lights. It does not seem to really serve any purpose. Other strange items include a corded phone on the wall in the bathroom next to the sink and an overly complex shower mechanism that produces a weak steam of luke warm water. No actual amenities or luxuries that I would want or have a use for. Also, I could not find an ice machine or vending machine on my floor or the floors around me and there were no signs anywhere to direct me.

To conclude, I've always enjoyed staying in hotels. This stay was pretty miserable. Don't be fooled by the name. There is nothing "Hilton" about this hotel.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is an older structure that has undergone some rehab work. I definitely agree that your experience depends on which room you get. Some are extremely tiny, while just next door the room can have a very large bathroom and windows on 3 sides (corner room). They do have issues with the cable/tv system (which occurs in many older hotels these days). But what does excel at this property is the service. Management does a wonderful job dealing with problems an older building will suffer from. Everyone on the staff was so nice. The maintenance crew cheerfully addressed any issue I had. Housekeeping was most cordial. There is no full service restaurant, though they do offer a buffet breakfast which is adequate but can't be compared to the one's offered in Asia. Being in NYC there are so many places to eat that very few hotel focus on serious dining in house. To sum things up, if you need to stay in mid-town, you will be very pleased staying at the Hilton Manhattan East. The vibe is more boutique style. Just keep in mind that it's an older hotel and don't let little problems ruin your stay. The staff will go out of their way to make it up to you. GREAT TEAM!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms definitely are the best. Bathrooms are huge.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The hotel is in a quieter area and is conveniently located near grand central station. Rooms are small but perfectly formed and have a range of items that make your stay easier including safe, hairdryer and iron. Rooms were well cleaned throughout the stay. The lobby/ seating areas are really useful especially to catch up using the free wifi! We would happily stay here again!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed in the Hilton, Manhatten east for a couple of nights. This hotel is located on the 42nd street of the busy Manhatten area. I would stay it is a cental location. The Grand Central station is just a 5-min walk away from the hotel. The front office staff are very friendly. They accommodated my early check in request by providing the room in a 90-mins time from the time of my arrival. The hotel has a restaurant and a coffee pub. The rooms are tiny. The rooms have coffee machines, LCD TV, hair dryer and ironing facilities with wardrobes. Complimentary newspapers can be collected from the bell desk. The bell deskThey do offer wifi in the room and in the lobby. Good place to stay if someone is not very particular about the size of the room but, rather about service.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Groton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

On the plus side, this pretty central location (between Grand Central and the UN) is quiet by NY standards. The staff were efficient and pretty friendly, the lobby is well thought out for business visitors with places to sit and work.

On the downside (in my case at least) the room was very small with essentially a view of a brick wall.

Its not a terrible place, and if you can get a good rate and a good room worth it - but there are so many other options this would not likely be high on my list again.

Room Tip: Ensure you have a larger room - many are small - and shop around for rates.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!