“Great Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Winter Stay Package
Ranked #199 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Clearwater, Florida
“Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

One of the best hotels in the city, especially when it comes to service. Each time I stay at this hotel the staff is very friendly, greets me by name throughout my stay, and goes above and beyond to ensure I have everything I need during each stay. If you are looking for a full service restaurant/bar, this is probably not the hotel for you as they recently remodeled to more of a "convenience" type area. As I don't stay at this hotel to eat or drink, it did not bother me. The only possible negative I have is the shower water pressure is not very strong. (The reasons for 4 stars rather than 5). The rooms are very clean and everyone on staff has been great. The Front Office Director has even checked in with me personally to ensure I had a pleasant stay. If you stay at this hotel you will hopefully have the opportunity to meet Kevin at the check in desk who is always there when I check in and ensures a quick check in process and does everything he can to meet my room requests (location, view, etc). Overall one of the best and most consistent hotels in customer service.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have been coming to this hotel for a number of years, and it has always been my hotel of choice because of it's good midtown location and proximity to the UN. In addition the staff are always friendly and very helpful and accommodating - and I must say that hasn't changed (reason I have given 3 as opposed to two star rating). The reason for my disappointment is the recent changes that have been made to the provision of food and drink. The hotel has done away with room service all together and the lobby/café area has been modernised into what can only be described as something just a step up from a pret a manger only with alcohol - apparently this is in response to changing consumer tastes - this is really inexplicable to me. If I wanted a fast food or pret a manger/starbucks I wouldn't have any trouble finding one in NYC, I wouldn't expect the hotel I chose to stay in to only offer this kind of service and nothing else. I was sceptical but willing to be open and picked up a burger on my first night - I would have been nice had it been freshly made which it wasn't. I think it had been there for a good 2 hours. I honestly would have been better off going to a Mc Donalds, which I am loathed to do even in the worst circumstances. Incredibly disappointed that this was the only option, and nothing avaialble for a more discerning traveller. I would expect some kind of transition whereby a hybid model was introduced at first which combined this aparently new dining style with the more traditional, to test the theory about what people now want from their hotel dining experience.

Breakfast was another surprising disappointment - very limited offering compared to what I had been used to in this very hotel, again no room service option is available any more. and you cannot order anything freshly made - and the only egg option was scrambled (obviously the powdered variety), which really is unacceptable, even the most basic of hotels would at least have a few egg options available. No baked beans. I also found the dining area quite messy and disorganised. I don't blame the staff for this they were obviously working very hard and doing their best, but something about this model obviously doesn't work. One of the big draws for me to come to this hotel was the fantastic room service breakfast freshly made poached eggs, hash browns toast - really well made. Now this hotel no longer offers any room service or even the equivalent standard in the restaurant, after a number of years I really do feel it is time to spread my wings and venture back out into the midtown hotel landscape to see where my needs can be more closely met. It is a shame, I've never experience such a dramatic drop in service before. I have and still am more than happy to pay for a nice enjoyable stay in a hotel in NYC and this is never cheap - however for the first time I can say I think this hotel is overpriced, there ought to be minimum service standards given the lack of choice for food and no room service, this hotel no longer fits into the price band it is still in.

One last annoyance in the newly renovated café area is that it is a harshly bright and noisy sensory overload. I had a couple of post-check out hours to kill and as I usually do, I set myself up in the lobby to work. It is certainly very clean and tidy - but with 2 TV screens showing sports channels (volume on) and a loud radio blasting it was almost impossible to either relax or to hear myself think. Obviously this area is no longer set up to cater for people like me - it is designed to move people on quite quickly - which I did leaving 2 hours earlier than I had planned for the airport. Definitely a case of style over substance.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

No dining room no real bar no room service rooms are dated
How can they charge over 300 for a jr suite. I thought I was at super 8 or red roof. Hilton should be ashamed. Oh by the way 61.00 for valet parking too. And 5.00 for a bottle ginger ale

• Stayed December 2014
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

You know there is nothing you can do about the ridiculous pricing of hotels in New York other than try to find the best value for your money. The Hilton Manhattan East is a nice hotel, very pleasant staff, clean rooms and the food downstairs was decent. I would like to say it's great value for the money and I guess relatively speaking it is but a overpriced hotel room is a necessary evil if you're visiting New York. I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
boston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

staff, rooms, and food all met our expectations. If you need to be near Grand Central or UN this is more of a boutique Hilton Hotel. Wonderful stay. Will definitely return. Walking distance to Rockefeller Center and mid manhattan locations.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Everything about our 6 day stay was appalling!! Service was rude, dismissive and offhand even by New York standards. In fact, by comparison our experience everywhere other than the Hilton was excellent. Concierge and bell staff was often left unattended and other than booking shows which they get commission on was unwilling or incapable of providing assistance. Facilities- the business lounge had just been converted to a cafe with a hot desk. Given we were staying on both business and pleasure this was compromising and difficult. Between 8am and 6pm the area was taken over by lawyers and people being represented by the International claims court. There was a constant queue of police vehicles outside the hotel. The gym was tiny and bare bones- could scarcely be referred to as a gym. Sleep quality- The vents clanked and rattled all night. For the last 3 days, fire alarms were tested every 5 minutes throughout the day from 8am- hell given we were getting over jetlag. Pillows were lumpy. On the plus sheets were clean and pressed Cleanliness- the shower was full of mould. Staff felt unable to clean this off during the time of our stay. The bathroom was freezing with a draft galing in- one way to enforce a quick shower. The towels were threadbare. At least 2 years past their use by date! When fresh towels were requested we were advised that these were the hotel standard This was a solid 7 minute walk to Central Station. there are no cafes or other amenities around so everything requires moving to other parts of the city- very poorly serviced. A real pain in winter with some hereat adverse weather conditions. Even by NYC standards this has to be considered small. No mini bar or fridge, mould in the shower and a gale blowing from the bathroom. As a Hilton Platinum member, its going to take a lot of convincing to get me to stay in another Hilton -Ever! This property should not be under the Hilton brand .

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Lexington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Upon check-in room was available was not as booked (I booked queen with sofa bed, there was no sofa bed). We were upgraded to a king suite with a sofa bed and balcony. Very nice room. Clean and quiet. Walk to many sites.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!