“Great Night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Winter Stay Package
Ranked #200 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Pennsauken, United States
“Great Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We took a spontaneous trip to NYC one night and I was looking for a hotel that allows us to smoke. It didn't allow us to smoke in the room which I am okay with but it did have a balcony we were able to with a beautiful view of NYC and the East River. I could have stayed out there all night. Overall, we had a blast and we would recommend this hotel to anyone. Most comfortable pillows I've ever slept on.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Paul S, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Laura M,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide us with a wonderful review of our property. We have limited amount of smoking rooms however I was delighted to see you got to experience one of our balcony rooms. They truly are a top seller at our property that include great views of the River and of the UN building. We would be happy to have you back with us in the future.

Paul Schwartz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I stayed at this property for two nights in August 2014. I was sold a queen bedded room for $193 per night.

The “boutique style” property is located in a quieter, less travelled part of NYC, but is uniquely positioned in close proximity to the UN and Grand Central Terminal.

I arrived at approximately 10:00 AM after an early flight. Surprisingly a room was available and I was immediately checked-in by a friendly and efficient staff member. The lobby area was found to be modern, clean, neat and well kept.

Elevator service was prompt and the cabs were found to be clean and in good repair. This was encouraging as typically they provide a window to the remainder of the property.

Interior hallways were found to be clean and well lit. By today’s standards the hallways were narrow, but certainly manageable. The sleeping room was also found to be small. While the bathroom was adequate, the sleeping space is similar to a cruise ship cabin. The window view was of a building a few feet away.

Bedding and amenities were typical for the brand/price point and both the room and bath were clean and neat. All electrical devices worked as advertised, charging points were plentiful and internet service was speedy.

During my stay I had two meals in the hotel restaurant. Both were satisfying and service was as expected for the price.

The hallmark of my stay was a challenging, yet humorous situation that could have resulted in a significant customer service failure. Yet, it wasn’t. It was a tremendous customer service win for this property’s leadership team.

While alone on an elevator the cab began to move up and down in a strange manner. Within seconds, it stopped – and not at a location where the door opened. Given my situation I pushed the call button and spoke to the reception desk. A polite young lady informed me that help would be forthcoming.

Knowing I was not in danger, I settled in. I sent a few “Trapped in an Elevator Selfies” to my children (who, incidentally loved the entire dilemma that Dad was stuck in an elevator) and surfed the web with my phone. All was well.

Within about 30 minutes heroes from FDNY were speaking with me, got the door open and assisted me to the next floor. Freedom!

At this point the leadership team from the property went into high gear. I was met by Assistant Front Office Manager Harris Akhtar. He was genuinely concerned for my well-being, sincerely apologetic and assured me that that I would be well taken care of. I told him that I was fine and that my trust in the Hilton brand gave me no concern that the staff would be anything but gracious.

A short time later Harris and a colleague were at the door to my room. He provided me documents related to a substantial and appreciated contribution to my HHonors account, extra water and snacks for the room, coupons for drinks in the hotel bar and most importantly, another sincere and heartfelt apology. Simply put, service recovery worthy of presentation at a conference, delivered with textbook precision. It is obvious that senior leaders empowered Harris and his colleagues to fix things right away. They did so – and it worked.

In reality, the elevator failure was unavoidable and was really no big deal to me. Hotel staff could have shook my hand, sent along apologies and all would have been well. They didn’t. Harris and his team quickly stepped up, exceeded my expectations and earned a very satisfied guest in the process. Leaders from other hotels could take a few lessons from this team.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear cburley,

It is always a pleasure to see when one of our guests gives us a 5 star review but your review I have to say is one of the best we have ever gotten. I greatly appreciate your feedback and was very happy to see Harris took such great care of you. He is a great young asset to our team and it's examples like this that we hope all of our associates can follow. It is unfortunate when issues occur during a stay but like you stated we strive to provide the highest level of service to keep our guests coming back. In the future we hope to see you stay with us again.

Yours in Hospitality,

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Awesome stay, especially considering the NYC midtown location. The manager Robert Ibanez and the rest of the staff were more than accommodating with reaching out before the stay and complimentary waters after walking in from the August heat and a couple free drinks at the bar for our first stay there.

We stayed on the top floor with a balcony and view of the East River, and it is worth every penny extra. Beautiful view, quiet and romantic.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a high floor with a view of the east river and balcony. It's a little ex...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Brett M,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review our property. It was a delight to host you for the weekend and it is great to hear Robert was able to take such great care of you. Our balcony rooms are one of our top sellers on property and it is especially great when the weather is nice to enjoy some great views of the city. We hope to see you stay with us again in the future.

Gloucester, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Nice Hilton hotel in great section of Manhatten East. Not so crazy yet accessible to other parts of town easily. Hotel is clean, service is good, Jose at the bar is fun and on top of his game. We had a corner room and it was very quiet.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Paul S, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Gina G,

I want to thank you for taking the time to stop by and send in a review of our property. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to having you stay with us again. Our location is perfect as we are centrally located to many attractions in the city however we are in a more quiet reserved area of NYC. It was also great reading how well Jose was able to take care of you during your time with us.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel, was easy to find and very close to grand central station. The room was spacious and had everything you would need for a great stay. The balcony view was great, we had a view from the side of the hotel allowing us to have the quietness of a side street and amazing view.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ablett6hp,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our property. It was great reading how much you enjoyed your stay especially your balcony room. These rooms are always a high request and they have magnificent views that we are all delighted you were able to enjoy. On your next visit be sure to stay with us again.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel. The location is great on 42nd b/t 1st and 2nd Ave. The hotel is a bit older but the rooms are nice and well appointed. The best part of the stay was the assistance from support staff especially JOSE (the bellman)! There were a few bumps in the road--room wasn't ready upon arrival around 6pm, valet parking doesn't allow in/out service, on-site restaurant had "quirky" restrictions about complimentary dining, etc. Overall the staff was friendly, the hotel was decent and the location was AWESOME! Definitely a possible accomodations contender for our annual trip to NYC.

Room Tip: "Higher floors have a bit of a view." "Double bed rooms are larger, but are extremel...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear CaliGirl32065,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review our property, I was very happy to see that Jose was able to take such great care of you during the stay. It is unfortunate to see that the stay was inconsistent however. We strive to provide an amazing experience for all of our guests that stay with us. Our agreement with our Garage, GGMC Parking located on 44th and 3rd does have In and Out privileges so I will be sure to contact them directly to see why there was a miscommunication. I would love for you to stay with us again in the future and another chance at showing you we are worthy of a 5 star review.

Best Regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Recently we went on holiday to New York and stayed at the Hilton Manhattan. I can only say what an excellent hotel this is. From arriving in the hotel the staff were so welcoming and we were greeted by Cynitha on reception. She was incredibly warm and welcoming and put us at ease. This warm and friendly manner continued throughout our whole stay in the hotel and nothing was too much trouble. The man on the door Josè was such a lovely guy and even research some good restaurants for us to visit during our stay. Denis was also amazing and was incredibly friendly and kept used supplied with water for our long walks round New York City during our many shopping trips. The atmosphere around the bar area during the evening was really friendly and josè kept us all entertained every night. Finally I would like to offers a special thanks to Paul the hotel manager who had many conversations with us during our stay, even though he couldn't understand our English accents. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to New York City and I can't wait to rebook for next year. Thanks to all the staff at the Hilton for an amazing holiday to celebrate my birthday.
Denise and Kate (Manchester)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dolly_080884,

It was great to host you this past week and it was a pleasure to have you for your birthday. I only tease in regards to your accent however it was great catching up with you each morning in front of the hotel. Everyone at our hotel was happy to make sure your trip was a great one and we hope to see you soon back with us in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Paul Schwartz

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!