“Friendly and comfortable with a good buffet breakfast.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Winter Stay Package
Ranked #212 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Singapore, Singapore
“Friendly and comfortable with a good buffet breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here with my family for 6 nights. Some walking to Times Square but taxis are everywhere.Excellent and Attentive Service from Front Desk Staff Kevin Law. He anticipates out needs without us asking. He has made our stay a pleasant one and we would definitely stay here again! Well done!

• Stayed June 2014
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Travelburger13,

I wanted to thank you for sending in a review of our property. Kevin is one of our all stars on property and always makes sure to take care of all the guests he encounters. Your loyalty is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you back soon.

Best Regards,

Paul Schwartz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, not too big so the service is personable and the public areas are not crowded. Rooms are a good standard although small - which is the norm in manhattan in my experience. Close to subway and tourist spots in midtown. On my list to consider in return trips to New York.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Neil M,

Thank you for reviewing our property and pointing out some of our key features. We do offer a great personable service to our guests and our location is prime for quickly getting around the city. We do have larger rooms that we would love for you to see on your future visits.

Best Wishes,

New Bern, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

You owe it to yourself to stay at this little gem to meet Pablo each morning at breakfast! I travel weekly throughout the US and beyond, and am well-acquainted with the hotel world. Never have I met an employee anywhere who was a better example of job exceedingly well done and genuine kindness. I always stay here; I would not miss the chance to be greeted by and so graciously cared for by Pablo. He is, for me and my family, "home away from home."

Room Tip: The South Tower is my favorite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sarah M,

It was great to read how great of an impact Pablo has made with you during your visits to our hotel. He surely is an amazing asset to our property and we are always pleased with his level of service he provides. Hope to see you with us soon.

Yours in Hospitality,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I travel to manhattan for work and have stayed at a few different hotels in the area. Ever since my first stay here it is now where I stay every time. The service is impeccable. All of the staff are courteous and happy to accomodate. They make your stay their priority.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Shannon T,

I want to thank you for taking the time and filling out a great review of our hotel. Your words speak true to the philosophy we are instilling in the team here. We always want to make sure every guest we encounter is thrilled with our level of service. We hope to see you back with us in the future.

Best Wishes,

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed here for the first 2 nights of our trip to NYC, The room was super tiny, But Clean, I found that most of the staff not so friendly, They had a nice bar area down stairs where you could grab a drink. Hotel was about 25 min walk to Time Square. Overall I found it not for the price that we paid per night .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lainey H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. While it is unfortunate you did not feel the price was up to par with the value, we do have many different rooms and bigger rooms as well. We also do offer a lot of different rate prices as well with different promotions. Hopefully in the future you will give us another chance and we can work something out for something that is better for you in terms of price.

Yours in Hospitality,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I just called this hotel and spoke to Jose Ramirez.

I had a reservation that I had forgotten about and I have been out of the country and did not receive an email notification. I realized it was for tonight about ten minutes ago. I called the hotel and Jose was very helpful and gracious and helped me cancel the entire reservation without penalty.

I have stayed at the hotel before and will be staying there again in a few weeks. It is always a treat to stay there and people like Jose really make the difference.

Thank you Jose, very much.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sporto7,

While it was unfortunate you were not able to stay with us this time around we are happy to see you will remain loyal to the hotel. It is a delight to see that Jose was able to accommodate you and we hope to see you on your next visit.

Best,

Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed two nights at the Hilton Manhattan East, located just a few blocks from Grand Central Station, while in town on business. The staff was professional and accommodating. I asked for a quiet room, and the room was quiet. No traffic noise or even much noise from other guests. The bed was comfortable--I slept well. The room had plenty of lights and was a decent size for NYC. Overall, it was clean, though there was chewing gum stuck to the side of the headboard.
Though a plaque outside notes this is a historic hotel, inside it just feels tired and outdated. The room had so little décor it's almost depressing. It's furnished with plain brown very scuffed furniture with beige walls and beige and gray striped curtains. the bed spread is plain white, and there isn't even a token painting on the wall. They do have a useful master light switch by the bed and at the door that controls all the lights in the room. You can turn them all on and off with one button. There is an in-room thermostat, but my room was a bit too cool and despite having the heat on, it never seemed to get any warmer.
The rooms do not have refrigerators, but they are available on request for a modest fee. I had requested one a few days before my arrival which was noted on my reservation and it was promptly brought up to my room after I checked in. Though it worked when the hotel employee plugged it in--he checked it to be sure--when I got up the next morning it had stopped running at some point and wasn't cold at all. I had to plug it into another outlet and turn the cold temp to maximum to get it to work.
The shower is so confusing to operate that there is a multi-step diagram with instructions on how to use it. I don't know how someone who isn't an English-speaker would manage it. It seemed quite confusing, and part of the diagram didn't even match the shower head I actually had. Water pressure was a bit low, but temperature was good. The toilet kept running about every half hour--I closed the bathroom door so I wouldn't hear it while I slept.
There is a fee of about $15 per day for internet access. But access for me was constantly flickering on and off. I managed to access it just long enough to pay for it, but not to really use it. There was also a note that the fee was for internet access on only one device. I don't know if they charge more for additional devices--I was never able to get a connection long enough to find out. I called the front desk for help, and a technician arrived quickly. He was polite and apologetic, and advised that I stand in the short hall just inside the door of my room where I might get a better signal or go down to the lobby. When I asked that the fee be refunded at check out due to this problem, the front desk agent was quite apologetic and understanding and did refund it. He said they had been having issues with iPads and iPhones. I was able to get a good signal on my phone on the 3G network in my room.
Room service is offered, but I walked a block down the street to the Pax Deli for breakfast. You can also find a food court on the lower level of Grand Central Station with a lot of counter-service dining options. And of course, New York is full of restaurants.
Overall, this hotel was just okay to me. Nothing overtly wrong with it, and if the price was good I wouldn't object to staying here again (if they can get the internet service working). It seems the staff is doing their best, but the hotel itself would benefit from an update. If you just need a place to sleep and are going to spend most of your time seeing the sites, this hotel is worth considering.
One final note, there is another Hilton that is also on 42nd Street, in Times Square. This hotel is at 42nd and 2nd Avenue, which you'll want to mention if you take a taxi. I had one cab driver take me to the wrong Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear ChrssyHny,

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed review of our hotel. While you surely brought up valid points where we can improve I am happy to see you were able to recognize the great staff that we have. We have a few projects over the next few months to update the hotel and modernize it a bit more while still keeping that historic value. Around October we are looking to have a lot of work done to our property in which we would for you to come back and see the results.

Best Regards,

Paul Schwartz

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!