“Adequate for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Winter Stay Package
Ranked #205 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Adequate for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed in Room 714 this weekend and it was perfectly adequate for me, with large luggage on the floor I had space to move around. If you want a street view (or any view) however this room is not for you.

The room itself did have a musty odour for whatever reason, perhaps from the carpet. Despite this it was clean. I will say that on my last day, around 11 am Sunday guests had no hot water. I wasn't affected by this as I had an early shower. I also have no idea whether this was rectified as I checked out at 12. For the cost per night I do think the hotel needs renovating. The socket on the right side of the bed is loose not only does it not work very well it's a health and safety suit waiting to happen, in hindsight I should have complained.

Overall I enjoyed my stay because I wasn't bothered by staff. Thanks to whom I believe was the floor manager who greeted me so politely.

I didn't eat here so have no idea about the food.

I'm returning next year with guests for a longer stay in NY whether I'd return to this location is questionable

Miss P

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
We appreciate your comments and want you to know that the outlet you pointed out to us has already been corrected. We do hope you will return to see us when you visit New York next year. We have several improvements planned for 2014 that I believe will be very pleasing to you. Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This hotel was chosen by my employer for my one night New York stopover Was allocated room 921. This room is very small and has a view into the interior area of the hotel. It wasn't possible to lay my suit case flat on the floor and still have some floor area in the room to move about Size of the room to one side, it was very clean and well appointed. I had some room service which was hot and tasty. The room was very clean and had all I needed for the trip. The Windows had double glazing which kept out the inclement weather perfectly. Staff here seem very happy and willing to help which is a big asset. Why it's being build as a boutique hotel , I'm not sure. Maybe this is to make up for the some but not all of the room size inadequacy Aside from the room size , it was a good place to stay and is in a good location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
We are thankful for your kind comments about our convenient location and the cleanliness of our hotel as well as the quality of service provided by our staff. We have a variety of room sizes so we hope that during your next trip we will be able to provide more spacious accommodations. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.
syd
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Location was good and not right in the centre of the business of NY but close enough for you to walk to Grand Central and the likes.
Building is very old, and the room I had included a very small window looking out into scafolding. Otherwise, it was clean and the bed was confortable.
The restaurant takes you back to the 70's , not sure if this style was deliberate but it was a novelty. One thing they didn't have was egg cups.. you can order soft boil eggs/soilders but no staff could find an egg cup which was very strange.
Staff were polite and friendly except for one of the front desk manager who was often quite rude to me and one time decided he didn't want to be helpful but changed his tone after I told him 'look, no worries if you can't be helpful, I'd be happy to just pack up, check out and move to the Westin!'

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
We appreciate the fact that you found our hotel to be conveniently located on the quiet side of midtown and that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff. You can be assured that your comment about one of our managers, which is not characteristic of the way we serve our guests, will receive my personal attention. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I was not impressed. I am a Hilton Diamond Member and stay at lots of Hiltons and I have to say this is the worst one I have experienced. The room rate was ridiculously high even for Manhattan. There was no doorman at 9 pm on a weeknight. I got stuck in the elevator. The hotel is old and creaky. The room was acceptable although the bathroom is more navigable if you have gymnastics training. The breakfast buffet was nice and was the highlight of the stay. Clearly, I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Please accept our apology for the absence of our doorman when you arrived at our hotel. We do have a doorman scheduled until well past 9pm every night so I would assume he was assisting another gust when you arrived. This is a historic landmark hotel so you are correct about its age, but we have never before been described as creaky. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking, but glad to see that you enjoyed your breakfast.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Good location for the business trip I was on in east Midtown. All aspects of my three day stay were great. Front desk, room service, doorman, Concierge, and the meeting room we booked were all as expected. As the other reviewers have noted, the rooms are small, but frankly, I wasn't hanging out in the room, only slept there, so not a big deal. Internet speed was good, the TV had good HD, and the bed was very comfortable. Works for me.

Also, the reason I picked this hotel was that hotel management was answering the reviewers comments. I use this to pick a hotel and haven't gone wrong yet. If they care enough to answer reviewer comments, they probably care enough to run the hotel right.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad to see that our meeting facilities as well as our accommodations met or exceeded your expectations. And thank you for noticing that we respond to all guest comments. You are correct .... we really do care!
Springfield, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Booked the romance package. When we arrived at 5:30pm our room was not ready. After waiting, we got into our room and noticed there was no Champagne or breakfast vouchers that came in the romance package. Called down and was told we did not book a romance package and were told sorry. While searching for my reservation on my phone, we received a call saying we were correct about our package and our items would be brought up. Arrggghhh, one thing after another with this place! Items arrived and person stood there expecting a tip, but in my eyes these items should have already been in the room. It was supposed to be a surprise. (Also if you get a room with a balcony, ask for a key for they do not leave in room...again, this should have been provided with our room key.) It was sad that no one could follow up with us at hotel considering all the issues we had. Had to contact corporate to express our concerns. The best they could do was put in a request to credit back the 5600 points we used to upgrade our room. Only positive note, room was clean. If you want excellent customer service and top notch service professionals, choose a Marriott over Hilton and that is what we intend to do for all our family trips next year. If you must stay in a Hilton, DO NOT STAY HERE! This hotel gives the Hilton Brand a bad name.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
I am very sorry that we did not deliver the service you rightfully expected and for spoiling what was supposed to be a surprise weekend. No excuses ...we obviously dropped the ball here. You will note, however, that almost every other TripAdvisor review describes our very caring staff and great service so your experience, while very regrettable, is not at all typical of the service provided by our staff or by Hilton Hotels. If you do visit New York again I hope you will contact me directly so that I can make sure you receive our usual excellent service. Once again, my apologies.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I was amazed at size of this room. My son stayed in room with me, and we had two beds in there. Everything was clean, showers were great and plenty of counter space. Really enjoyed our stay here and would do so again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
We are glad to see that you and your son had a great stay with us. Many of our rooms have plenty of space to work or relax so thank you for mentioning how convenient this was for you. Hope to see you again soon.

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!