Hilton Manhattan East is a charming little boutique-style hotel near the heart of Manhattan, close to many things like Grand Central, subways, restaurants, bars, and so forth, but it’s off a major avenue so the neighborhood is quiet (compared to hotels on the avenues).
The building is almost a century old, so the halls are super-small by modern standards, and the elevators are tiny. But the rooms are refurbished, very comfortable, and decorated with taste. The bathrooms are modern and gorgeous, lots of marble. The lobby is immaculate and also very modern. Staff is friendly and attentive. Each room has a closet (not just a closet cabinet) dresser, desk, and programmable personal safe.
If you’re looking for traditional Hilton uber-glitz with chocolate on the pillows, floor-to-ceiling windows, and power-operated curtains, then look elsewhere. But if you want a comfortable, quiet, happy property where staff remembers your face, then this is the place for you.
That being said, I had a couple of complaints, but they’re minor complaints (for me).
1. My room had two temperature systems, one was a standard in-room thermostat control, and a second system was automatic building-wide (surely a hold-over from past decades). The practical result is that the second system was always on, in this case cooling the room even when I was cold. My simple solution was to use the thermostat system heater to balance the temp. It worked perfectly, but it required some thought to implement.
2. My mattress was a bit saggy in the middle. Nevertheless, I slept well.
Neither of my complaints were deal breakers. Also, I didn't eat at the restaurant or drink at the bar. Both looked inviting, so perhaps I'll try them another time, but with all of Manhattan outside, hanging around in the hotel was not on my to-do list.
Overall, I loved this little hotel, and will definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Formerly the Tudor Hotel, this Midtown historic boutique hotel was transformed and reopened in 2010 as the Hilton Midtown East. 300 Guest Rooms and Suites located on East 42nd St. Walking distance to Grand Central, Midtown and the United Nations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Low Cost Holidays, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Hilton Manhattan East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Manhattan East Hotel New York City
- Tudor Hotel United Nations
- Crowne Plaza United Nations
- Tudor Hotel New York City