“Hilton East Manhattan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

Save Saved
You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points!
Ranked #221 of 452 hotels in New York City
London, Canada
“Hilton East Manhattan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Good location central to most sights, shopping, cosy hotel, unpretentious very friendly, rooms rather small as like all Manhattan hotels, but attention to detail is good and staff very polite helpful and approachable. Genuine warm welcome, great for walking to Broadway and next to Grand Central Station. Prime location in Manhattan East so not inexpensive. Staff excellent.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

FrankCosentino, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and chosing to stay with us.

1,081 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is 2.5 blocks east of Grand Central station. I was able to take a bus from La Guardia then the subway--then walk--all for under $3. Took 50 minutes. FYI--cab ride from hotel to La Guardia took about 20+ minutes and I think was $40+.

The lobby has no windows and is not large but offers a bar/restaurant area. Staff were friendly.

My room on the 14th floor was great and the bathroom is especially well thought out. Views are pretty much of other buildings.

No extras here--no free breakfast or internet, etc. But I think that's the NYC norm.

Being on 42nd street is ideal I think. Just walk west to Grand Central and Times Square.

Room Tip: Colleagues on lower floors had views of trash area plus laborers right outside windows. That's...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
On behalf of the staff at The Hilton Manhattan East, thank you for being our guest. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to NYC.
Centennial, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Located a little off the beaten path for most tourists. Expect to walk 15-20 min to get to Times Square, Theaters or Central Park. Rooms are small and dark with just a walkway around the bed and furniture. Looks more like a European Hotel room. I had a plumbing leak in my first room and the front desk was quick to change me to another room that was even cozier. A/C had trouble keeping the temp and there was construction on the hotel outside my window. Room was clean and staff was excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. we appreciate your honest input on the look and feel of our property and we will use your comments as we constantly look for new ways to improve your experience. We hope you will give us another chance to show you the quality hotel stay you expect from our brand the next time you visit New York.
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

There was trashbags on the outside of my window, sitting on a scaffold. Which had works constantly walking on it past my window. For the 300 dollars i paid for one night here I was completely dissatisfied. One of the beds springs was broken and my friend cut his finger on it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this issue to me and allowing me to follow up with you directly. Please know that we take comments from our guests very seriously and we will use your experience as part of our ongoing training ensuring that you and future guests are taken care of. If I can assist you further, certainly let me know.
Chicago, IL Suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at this property this past week. Every member of the staff was polite and helpful.

I found my room to be comfortable with adequate space. Very clean, bed was comfortable and the room temperature was great. The bathroom includes a bidet, jacuzzi tub and dual shower heads, but a little more counter space would be nice, but not too bad.

I was on the 15th floor so the noise from the city was minimal. Not much of a view out the window due to scaffolding in place due to repairs underway on the fascia of the building. Not uncommon as a lot of buildings are under repair after the hurricane.

I had dinner and breakfast in the hotel. The service was excellent for both meals. I was the only one in the restaraunt at 7PM, as I am sure most people go to the many nearby dining establishments. I had some work to complete so I dined in and found the soup, steak and wine to be very good and my waiter was attentive and cordial.

Breakfast buffet was adequate, all the bases were covered. They do not have anything that is make to order, so I would not have paid for the buffet, but as a Diamond member of HHonors it was free. The food was fresh and the table staff was very attentive and friendly. As I was leaving my waiter quickly brought me a cup of coffee to go as well, very nice! I have no complaints, the dining and service met all my needs and expectations as a working business traveller.

Overall the hotel was convenient for my trip, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. It is not a hotel with a lot going on, so I would not consider it a "destination". But I found it to be a nice place to stay while in New York where there is so much to do, who wants to hang out in the hotel?

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed 4-nights at the Hilton for anniversary trip. Location is Mid-Town east near the river and about 6-blocks to Time Square/Broadway area. We had show tickets a couple nights and did not mind the walk there. Took cabs back after the show. Its not terrible walk but if its hot/cold, may be just far enough to warrant a cab. Near Grand Central and pretty much good shopping and restuarants from hotel to busier tourist area.

We were happy with location but just at the edge of what I consider reasonable for most of the attractions. This is reflected in the price which was about $50/nt cheaper than the Times Square hotels.

The hotel itself is not that large, especially for a Hilton. Had a boutique feel with small entry and lobby area, intimate bar and non-descript restuarant. Staff was very good espcially the bell staff. Since this is just at the edge of what would be convienent area, the bell staff would often have to walk a block to flag down taxi's to get them to pick up. The bellmen were always aggressive in going and getting cabs to keep the wait to a minimum.

Room was small but not uncomfortable. Similar to most rooms in NY. Common areas were clean and updated. Used the business center to print out some items and it does cost to use both the computers and the printer (swipe card for time and printer charges). Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was large enough for two people.

The lobby bar was nice enough but not what I would describe as a see/be seen place. We had drinks a couple of nights before/after dinner and enjoyed. Was expensive for drinks ($16 well scotch) but about what you would expect in NY hotel.

Did not eat at the restuarant during stay. Usually went to Starbucks for morning coffee on way to something. There are several on the walk to either TS or towards the park. Good irish bar/rest across the street that was hopping every night we were there. Recommend a stop in there for a pop.

Room Tip: Not that busy area around and surronded by high rise apts.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at The Hilton Manhattan East. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I first started staying here in 2010 while working on a project in Queens and wanted to avoid the more touristy areas of midtown. The rooms are small and dark (unless you get upgraded you may not know whether the sun is shining or not), and if you want to shop or see a show, you will have to walk (20-30 mins) or take a taxi/Uber car service. Having said that, I've rebooked again and again over the years. The big perks: it's clean, it's a Hilton, it's still convenient, and the prices tend to be lower than Times Square.

Room Tip: Unless you're a frequent business traveler, you'll be in smaller / no view rooms with window...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!