“Does not deserve to be a Hilton” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

Save Saved
You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points!
Ranked #225 of 449 hotels in New York City
“Does not deserve to be a Hilton”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Not sure how this hotel qualified to be a Hilton. I have stayed at Hiltons hotels all over the world including the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas a few blocks away from this one. The staff is inexperienced, the hotel tiny, with a tiny lobby, and the Junior suite where we stayed even tinier. At $350 per night I expected a lot more. The view from our suite is of somebody's kitchen in the apartment building behind us. The sofa bed did not have sheets and we had to call to request them. When we checked in they told us they had to inspect the suite before they handed us they key. We arrived at 4:30pm, well after the 3:00pm check-in time, so why wasn't the room ready? We then waited for over half an hour until finally I asked them what it would take for the suite to be inspected. Only then the manager on call offered to go inspect himself. Why didn't he offer to do this in the first place? The check-in agent gave us breakfast coupons but in my opinion she should have offered a free upgrade to a full suite especially given I am a Hilton Honors Gold Member, and we were only staying one night. When we walked into our suite we couldn't believe how small it was. How long does it take to give it an inspection? On the positive side the Bell Staff and the in-room dining server were excellent. But this hotel is not worth the Hilton name....If you expect Hilton quality, and consistency don't stay at this hotel. You will be disappointed. There are much better choices in Manhattan like the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:
I would like to begin by extending the most sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay with us. It is always our top priority to ensure we meet and exceed our guest's expectations. I have shared your feedback with my leadership team and be assured that we have implemented corrective measures to ensure that we are do not fall short in the areas you noted within your review. I sincerly ask of you to give us another chance to demonstrate to you our superior hotel and staff.

1,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Czech first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I just checked out today. I used points to upgrade to what they called a junior suite. Not worth the points. Check in was fine. For a hotel that talks about recent renovation there is some work to do. I had to have service twice so that I could turn on the water in the shower. The security lock fell off the door. The bed was super soft. There was the constant smell if food. There is a lot of banging from construction

I stayed five days and was offered breakfast for each day. The one time I went they had only one poor guy working the whole room. Even free was not worth it. There are plenty of other Hilton's to chose from in NYC.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with our management team and we have addressed the issues you have noted. As always, we pride ourselves in providing positive memorable experiences to our guests and we apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel recently. Room was very small, bathroom freezing cold and only superficially clean.

Heating in room would not increase beyond 67C. The corridors were warmer than the room. Front desk said they would call an engineer and after waiting over 45 minutes, I called to check twice and was told each time that he was on his way. However he never showed up. Heater in bathroom not working and as it had a window, it was absolutely freezing.

Bathroom was dirty. Hairs found all around bath. Dried foam from previous guest was still on shower curtain. Hairs in wash bassin too. Window at side of bath had water stain marks from pervious guest's use.

Desk light not working. Had to swap bulb from one bedside light to the desk light in order to see what I was doing.

I have stayed in cleaner and better maintained budget hotels!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

On behalf of the Hilton Manhattan East, may i start by extending our apologies to you for the shortfalls you experienced during your stay with us. I have shared your commenatry with the Team here and we have corrected the deficiencies that you described in your review. We would be honored for you to return to our hotel to experience the positive changes we have implemented.
Herndon , VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights. Dec 22nd and 23rd . We had 2 rooms ,This was one of the few hotels that offered rooms with 2 beds . My husband and I had spent one night at the Hilton Fashion District this fall and liked it so much that I decided to go for a Hilton, we wanted something that was a little closer to the Time square area so decided for this hotel . The staff was nice. The room very clean , small , which is OK for NY , and dark. Maybe because it was the 3rd floor and surrounded by very close buildings and construction. But it wasn't noisy and construction work began around 9 am . Our sons got room 406 and the heating system made a terrible "bang" noise, every 15 minutes . So they didn't get sleep the first night . They didn't want to complain in the middle of the night but the morning after my son went to the front desk and after maintenance taking a look at the problem, they were moved to another room. Valet parking is $ 61 a day and I understood you pay 61 every time you take the car out. We didn't use the car in the city, so I am not sure. Location is very good ,close to Grand Central and we walked to Rockefeller Center and back, each day .There are cafeterias, fast food places very close to the hotel if you want to grab breakfast or a snack. It is very close to the United Nations we took a really short walk , 5 to 7 minutes did the tour which we really liked. I don't believe we had ever gone if we weren't so close. the tour is 45 min to 1 hours so if interested, this is something you can do first thing in the morning. We also walked to NYPublic Library and also did the tour.

Room Tip: Be careful with room 406. The heating system has a bang noise. Lower rooms are dark ( we didn't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a night and the room was absolutely fine. The attitude of the staff was very disappointing though and I won't return. I arrived without photo id, and rather than being helpful and friendly, the staff treated me as though my husband and I were imposters. I realise that they need to check id, but they could have done this with grace and charm, which was totally lacking. Once the situation was resolved there was no apology for the rude way they treated us. Furthermore a sign on the desk announced that building work outside meant wed be awoken by 8am. Not ideal. Overall, there are far nicer places to stay in the city where staff take the time to treat you as a guest. I wouldn't recommend a stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Please accept our sincere apology for the poor service you received during your recent stay with us. I assure you it is not common to find any member of our staff who is rude or unwelcoming and we will address this issue appropriately. We strive to provide our guests the best in service and accommodations and we regret the poor impression we made. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality care and hospitality you deserve, should you return to Manhattan in the future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

When I travel and stay in big cities I like to stay in locations that have character. Often these places are not in the center of the action, rather, they in niche areas where the locals live. If you want to stay in Manhattan and feel like a local, the Hilton Manhattan East is such a place.

Our room was very clean, well appointed, and had the right amount of space for a short stay. It's a short walk to bustling midtown, but far enough away for peace and quiet. There are several top restaurants on the east side that cater to all tastes and budgets.

I will keep this on my list for another stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for 5 night during Thanksgiving. Reviews are very mixed, but I would say it's above average. The rooms where clean and comfortable, though a little warm. Opening the window solved this problem. The staff was very attentive and responded quickly to our requests. It is a little out of the way. I wish it where a few block west, toward Grand Central. About what we expected, considering what we paid. Relatively good value for NYC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!