“Cold and dirty” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #234 of 468 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Cold and dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel recently. Room was very small, bathroom freezing cold and only superficially clean.

Heating in room would not increase beyond 67C. The corridors were warmer than the room. Front desk said they would call an engineer and after waiting over 45 minutes, I called to check twice and was told each time that he was on his way. However he never showed up. Heater in bathroom not working and as it had a window, it was absolutely freezing.

Bathroom was dirty. Hairs found all around bath. Dried foam from previous guest was still on shower curtain. Hairs in wash bassin too. Window at side of bath had water stain marks from pervious guest's use.

Desk light not working. Had to swap bulb from one bedside light to the desk light in order to see what I was doing.

I have stayed in cleaner and better maintained budget hotels!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

On behalf of the Hilton Manhattan East, may i start by extending our apologies to you for the shortfalls you experienced during your stay with us. I have shared your commenatry with the Team here and we have corrected the deficiencies that you described in your review. We would be honored for you to return to our hotel to experience the positive changes we have implemented.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Herndon , VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights. Dec 22nd and 23rd . We had 2 rooms ,This was one of the few hotels that offered rooms with 2 beds . My husband and I had spent one night at the Hilton Fashion District this fall and liked it so much that I decided to go for a Hilton, we wanted something that was a little closer to the Time square area so decided for this hotel . The staff was nice. The room very clean , small , which is OK for NY , and dark. Maybe because it was the 3rd floor and surrounded by very close buildings and construction. But it wasn't noisy and construction work began around 9 am . Our sons got room 406 and the heating system made a terrible "bang" noise, every 15 minutes . So they didn't get sleep the first night . They didn't want to complain in the middle of the night but the morning after my son went to the front desk and after maintenance taking a look at the problem, they were moved to another room. Valet parking is $ 61 a day and I understood you pay 61 every time you take the car out. We didn't use the car in the city, so I am not sure. Location is very good ,close to Grand Central and we walked to Rockefeller Center and back, each day .There are cafeterias, fast food places very close to the hotel if you want to grab breakfast or a snack. It is very close to the United Nations we took a really short walk , 5 to 7 minutes did the tour which we really liked. I don't believe we had ever gone if we weren't so close. the tour is 45 min to 1 hours so if interested, this is something you can do first thing in the morning. We also walked to NYPublic Library and also did the tour.

Room Tip: Be careful with room 406. The heating system has a bang noise. Lower rooms are dark ( we didn't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a night and the room was absolutely fine. The attitude of the staff was very disappointing though and I won't return. I arrived without photo id, and rather than being helpful and friendly, the staff treated me as though my husband and I were imposters. I realise that they need to check id, but they could have done this with grace and charm, which was totally lacking. Once the situation was resolved there was no apology for the rude way they treated us. Furthermore a sign on the desk announced that building work outside meant wed be awoken by 8am. Not ideal. Overall, there are far nicer places to stay in the city where staff take the time to treat you as a guest. I wouldn't recommend a stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Please accept our sincere apology for the poor service you received during your recent stay with us. I assure you it is not common to find any member of our staff who is rude or unwelcoming and we will address this issue appropriately. We strive to provide our guests the best in service and accommodations and we regret the poor impression we made. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality care and hospitality you deserve, should you return to Manhattan in the future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

When I travel and stay in big cities I like to stay in locations that have character. Often these places are not in the center of the action, rather, they in niche areas where the locals live. If you want to stay in Manhattan and feel like a local, the Hilton Manhattan East is such a place.

Our room was very clean, well appointed, and had the right amount of space for a short stay. It's a short walk to bustling midtown, but far enough away for peace and quiet. There are several top restaurants on the east side that cater to all tastes and budgets.

I will keep this on my list for another stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for 5 night during Thanksgiving. Reviews are very mixed, but I would say it's above average. The rooms where clean and comfortable, though a little warm. Opening the window solved this problem. The staff was very attentive and responded quickly to our requests. It is a little out of the way. I wish it where a few block west, toward Grand Central. About what we expected, considering what we paid. Relatively good value for NYC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My office is close by so I want to stay in this area. To start off, I will say the staff was very friendly and accomodating. I chose the Hilton because I am a Diamond member and figured my chances of getting a larger room were better. I was wrong. I've never seen such a small room (even for NY). There was scaffolding right outside the windows and the windows do not lock. The room was clean but there were water and coke bottles on the ledge outside the window. There is no market in the hotel so if you want a bottle of water or a snack you will need to take a walk. Dinner (room service) was not good and was expensive. I paid 9.00 for a tiny cup of tomato soup. Breakfast buffet was not good, scrambled eggs tasted powdery. I'd recommend ordering from the menu and skipping the buffet. WiFi internet was good, beds were comfortable. I really don't recommend this place, you can do much better for the price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hampshire UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Great location for the mid town attractions, from here its about a 25 minute walk up to Times Square and right on top of grand central. Chrysler building etc or dropping ontp 5th for some retail therapy. Hotel itself is what you'd expect from any Hilton, good quality and service, rooms are really small and expensive - shop around for the best prices I got a great late deal via expedia which was far lower than the direct cost. Traffic around here can be heacy so often quicker to walk. Also watch-out for any large meetings or events at the UN - the police shut off the road from 42nd and second which causes instant chaos!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if you can - unless you are a deep sleeper and don't mind sirens!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business