“Room fine but v.unimpressed by staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

Save Saved
You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points!
Ranked #227 of 449 hotels in New York City
“Room fine but v.unimpressed by staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a night and the room was absolutely fine. The attitude of the staff was very disappointing though and I won't return. I arrived without photo id, and rather than being helpful and friendly, the staff treated me as though my husband and I were imposters. I realise that they need to check id, but they could have done this with grace and charm, which was totally lacking. Once the situation was resolved there was no apology for the rude way they treated us. Furthermore a sign on the desk announced that building work outside meant wed be awoken by 8am. Not ideal. Overall, there are far nicer places to stay in the city where staff take the time to treat you as a guest. I wouldn't recommend a stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Please accept our sincere apology for the poor service you received during your recent stay with us. I assure you it is not common to find any member of our staff who is rude or unwelcoming and we will address this issue appropriately. We strive to provide our guests the best in service and accommodations and we regret the poor impression we made. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality care and hospitality you deserve, should you return to Manhattan in the future.

1,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

When I travel and stay in big cities I like to stay in locations that have character. Often these places are not in the center of the action, rather, they in niche areas where the locals live. If you want to stay in Manhattan and feel like a local, the Hilton Manhattan East is such a place.

Our room was very clean, well appointed, and had the right amount of space for a short stay. It's a short walk to bustling midtown, but far enough away for peace and quiet. There are several top restaurants on the east side that cater to all tastes and budgets.

I will keep this on my list for another stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for 5 night during Thanksgiving. Reviews are very mixed, but I would say it's above average. The rooms where clean and comfortable, though a little warm. Opening the window solved this problem. The staff was very attentive and responded quickly to our requests. It is a little out of the way. I wish it where a few block west, toward Grand Central. About what we expected, considering what we paid. Relatively good value for NYC.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My office is close by so I want to stay in this area. To start off, I will say the staff was very friendly and accomodating. I chose the Hilton because I am a Diamond member and figured my chances of getting a larger room were better. I was wrong. I've never seen such a small room (even for NY). There was scaffolding right outside the windows and the windows do not lock. The room was clean but there were water and coke bottles on the ledge outside the window. There is no market in the hotel so if you want a bottle of water or a snack you will need to take a walk. Dinner (room service) was not good and was expensive. I paid 9.00 for a tiny cup of tomato soup. Breakfast buffet was not good, scrambled eggs tasted powdery. I'd recommend ordering from the menu and skipping the buffet. WiFi internet was good, beds were comfortable. I really don't recommend this place, you can do much better for the price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hampshire UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Great location for the mid town attractions, from here its about a 25 minute walk up to Times Square and right on top of grand central. Chrysler building etc or dropping ontp 5th for some retail therapy. Hotel itself is what you'd expect from any Hilton, good quality and service, rooms are really small and expensive - shop around for the best prices I got a great late deal via expedia which was far lower than the direct cost. Traffic around here can be heacy so often quicker to walk. Also watch-out for any large meetings or events at the UN - the police shut off the road from 42nd and second which causes instant chaos!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor if you can - unless you are a deep sleeper and don't mind sirens!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed there this past weekend, and were not impressed. We had a king room suite, and despite having our heater TURNED OFF, the room stayed a balmy 78 degrees. The hallway outside our door was much, much hotter. We needed a crib for our daughter, and despite having reserved one prior to our stay, it took 5 calls down to the front desk before they brought it up. The bed was at such a bizarre angle that my husband and I slept with our heads at the foot of the bed (otherwise our feet would have been significantly higher than our heads). Often times when we would call to the front desk for something (to have our car brought around) we would get disconnected. Either they have some serious phone issues, or simply hang up on customers they don't want to deal with. The only positive I can give is that the room was very clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your input and apologize for the disappointments you encountered. We have shared the issues of your climate control and bed frame with our maintenance team and they are working to correct the problems. Please accept our apology for the poor front desk communication and availability and know that it is not common to find any member of our staff who is rude or unwilling to help. Moving forward we will make a more conscious effort to be available to meet guests needs as they arise. We are glad you found our rooms clean and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit the area so that we may show you the quality service and accommodations you and your family deserve.
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. This is not a really smart Manhattan hotel. It's in a reasonably good location on 42nd Street, but quite far east and just beyond second avenue. So a bit of a walk to the main areas in mid town. Its rather tired and the rooms are smallish.

I have to say the service was good and everyone working there was friendly. My in room safe was broken and it was fixed within 5 minutes; first the house manager called and then the engineer arrived. That was impressive and does make a difference. The bell man and concierge were also very helpful.

The lobby wasn't very smart or glamourous, the seating was tired, but the free wi-fi had a very strong signal which made life easier.

My bedroom was OK though the bathroom could do with a refurbish.

Perhaps the worst experience was the breakfast - something I usually look forward to in Manhattan. The restaurant is rather dowdy and the food wasn't very hot. Choice was fine, but for $26 it wasn't good value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!