“Won't stay here again.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

Save Saved
You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points!
Ranked #221 of 452 hotels in New York City
Washington, DC
“Won't stay here again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed there this past weekend, and were not impressed. We had a king room suite, and despite having our heater TURNED OFF, the room stayed a balmy 78 degrees. The hallway outside our door was much, much hotter. We needed a crib for our daughter, and despite having reserved one prior to our stay, it took 5 calls down to the front desk before they brought it up. The bed was at such a bizarre angle that my husband and I slept with our heads at the foot of the bed (otherwise our feet would have been significantly higher than our heads). Often times when we would call to the front desk for something (to have our car brought around) we would get disconnected. Either they have some serious phone issues, or simply hang up on customers they don't want to deal with. The only positive I can give is that the room was very clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your input and apologize for the disappointments you encountered. We have shared the issues of your climate control and bed frame with our maintenance team and they are working to correct the problems. Please accept our apology for the poor front desk communication and availability and know that it is not common to find any member of our staff who is rude or unwilling to help. Moving forward we will make a more conscious effort to be available to meet guests needs as they arise. We are glad you found our rooms clean and hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit the area so that we may show you the quality service and accommodations you and your family deserve.

1,081 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. This is not a really smart Manhattan hotel. It's in a reasonably good location on 42nd Street, but quite far east and just beyond second avenue. So a bit of a walk to the main areas in mid town. Its rather tired and the rooms are smallish.

I have to say the service was good and everyone working there was friendly. My in room safe was broken and it was fixed within 5 minutes; first the house manager called and then the engineer arrived. That was impressive and does make a difference. The bell man and concierge were also very helpful.

The lobby wasn't very smart or glamourous, the seating was tired, but the free wi-fi had a very strong signal which made life easier.

My bedroom was OK though the bathroom could do with a refurbish.

Perhaps the worst experience was the breakfast - something I usually look forward to in Manhattan. The restaurant is rather dowdy and the food wasn't very hot. Choice was fine, but for $26 it wasn't good value.

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Booked for 3 night stay. hotel looked great online. Asked for a King bed due to the fact that I am 6'4" - booked in September. Arrived from LGA, very friendly staff, nice lobby. Went to our King suite - very, very nice, until we tried to look out the windows. All 3 were boarded up with plywood and 2x4s. Went down to the lobby, they apologised, said they had "forgotten" to block the room as the windows were boarded up due to exterior maintenance. Would be happy to put us in a queen room, as that was all that they had left, no more kings, too bad, that's they way it is. The room was barely wider than the queen bed it held, maybe 1/2 again as long. The bathroom tiles looked mouldy and dirty. The ceiling was below 7 ft in some places for at least 1/2 the room due to the heating. Had to fight for floor space for our suitcases. The front panel of the room safe was falling off, though functional. Looked out the 2 windows and were looking at building next door, less than 10 ft away. Every morning construction woke us up at 7. Wouldn't give us a rebate because "all of their rooms are standard rooms" no matter the size and thus were the same price (?????). This is what they told our travel agent at least. Will never stay there again. Expected more from a Hilton Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We always appreciate hearing for our guests and apologize your requested room type was unavailable due to exterior construction. We have shared your concerns about the queen bedded room with our maintenance and facilities teams and we will do what we can to correct the issues. We hate to hear any guest is disappointed in their stay and welcome you to contact us directly if we may be of any assistance or if you would like to discuss your experience further. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality accommodations and amenities you deserve should you return to the area in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here while attending a conference down the street. The room was very small and I couldn't use the chair to the desk as it was about 4 inches from the side of the bed. Other than the room being small, it is a good hotel with a small but adequate fitness center (treadmills, dumbbells, bike, stairclimber), internet worked without a problem and the service to check in and out was very fast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Being English, I am not accustomed to complaining. However, this hotel is in a different league to anything I have ever had the misfortune to stay in, and I've been to Blackpool...twice. I accept that life is hard post sandy but having perspired my way through night 1 in a room with no AC and a window that opened onto the kitchen fans, imagine my surprise at being told there were not even rooms with boarded up windows available for "tropic blunder" night 2. This brings shame upon Conrad's name and should be consigned to one of the nostalgic photos that adorn the corridors.

Room Tip: don't do it..but if you do decide to have un spray de l'eau de insanity, "choose"...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay with us. We apologize for the poor conditions post Hurricane Sandy and appreciate your understanding as we did our best to provide our guests with the highest quality service and accommodations possible under the circumstances. We would love to have you return and stay with us under normal condition so that we may show you the level of hospitality you expect and deserve from our brand.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The room was extremely small but it did the job for what we needed it for. Staff were friendly. Location was pretty good. Out of the rush a little too far east but nice to be out of the xmas rush. Close to grand central to walk with a suit case.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Leawood, Ks.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Usually when in NY I stay at the Millennium Hilton, but since I wasn't sure how Battery Park had fared since Hurricane Sandy, I elected to stay at another Hilton property. I chose the Hilton Manhattan East largely because the pictures on the Hilton website and description of "boutique" hotel interested me. I don't usually associate the terms "Hilton" and "boutique" in the same sentence, and, as a frequent traveler, wanted to see how this played out.

I was pleasantly surprised. At check-in, there was a problem with my credit card (ended up that the bank was having computer issues) which the manager himself came out and handled, saving me potential embarrassment (there were other people checking in at the same time). When I arrived at my room, I was awestruck. I was a little wary given the descriptions of the room size from this website. While it might have been a little too "cozy" for two, it was perfect for me...and SPOTLESSLY clean! Furniture is of high quality, hallways are pristine, floors are absolutely quiet (there are only 5 rooms per floor) and the bathrooms are large and lovely.

The restaurant was wonderful, and I adored the server. : ) (Didn't get his name, but he was on duty the weekend evenings of Nov. 30 and Dec. 1). Everyone was so friendly. Members of the Red Cross who are helping out in Staten Island are staying here, and it was like a "family" atmosphere...much appreciated during te holidays as a solo traveler!

You do need to stop and think about the shower controls and light controls...they are a little unique...but my FAVORITE touch is the doorbell outside of each room! The closest train station is Grand Central (about a 5-10 minute walk) and there are plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Overall, good job Manhattan East! I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!