“Very Small, But Clean Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

Save Saved
You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #265 of 446 hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Very Small, But Clean Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The room was extremely small but it did the job for what we needed it for. Staff were friendly. Location was pretty good. Out of the rush a little too far east but nice to be out of the xmas rush. Close to grand central to walk with a suit case.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

937 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Czech first
Leawood, Ks.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Usually when in NY I stay at the Millennium Hilton, but since I wasn't sure how Battery Park had fared since Hurricane Sandy, I elected to stay at another Hilton property. I chose the Hilton Manhattan East largely because the pictures on the Hilton website and description of "boutique" hotel interested me. I don't usually associate the terms "Hilton" and "boutique" in the same sentence, and, as a frequent traveler, wanted to see how this played out.

I was pleasantly surprised. At check-in, there was a problem with my credit card (ended up that the bank was having computer issues) which the manager himself came out and handled, saving me potential embarrassment (there were other people checking in at the same time). When I arrived at my room, I was awestruck. I was a little wary given the descriptions of the room size from this website. While it might have been a little too "cozy" for two, it was perfect for me...and SPOTLESSLY clean! Furniture is of high quality, hallways are pristine, floors are absolutely quiet (there are only 5 rooms per floor) and the bathrooms are large and lovely.

The restaurant was wonderful, and I adored the server. : ) (Didn't get his name, but he was on duty the weekend evenings of Nov. 30 and Dec. 1). Everyone was so friendly. Members of the Red Cross who are helping out in Staten Island are staying here, and it was like a "family" atmosphere...much appreciated during te holidays as a solo traveler!

You do need to stop and think about the shower controls and light controls...they are a little unique...but my FAVORITE touch is the doorbell outside of each room! The closest train station is Grand Central (about a 5-10 minute walk) and there are plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Overall, good job Manhattan East! I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Hilton for one week, the location was great for exploring New York. The room was clean and comfortable. The catering staff need some training in how to present food. The whole dining experience was dreadful, better to eat out in town.
Some reception staff would benefit in customer service training.

• Stayed November 2012
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments about our clean and comfortable hotel. I am sorry that our food service did not meet your expectations, as we usually receive high marks in this area. We will hope to demonstrate this to you during a future visit to New York. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton Manhattan East over Thanksgiving and will not stay there again.

This "boutique" style hotel does not do the Hilton brand any favors.

There is a lot of potential here that is just not realized.

Kimpton does a much better job with a property like this and I'd like to see just what they'd do here. Anything is better than what Hilton is doing.

Needless to say, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry you were disappointed with your experience at our hotel. We take your comments to heart and they will be put to positive use with all members of our staff. I hope we may have a future opportunity to win you back to our hotel.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip.

The hotel is very close to the United Nations, Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building. (Also note that it is right next to both the Israeli and Palestinian consulates, with regular demonstrations outside!!!).

The hotel itself is quite old, but the rooms are fairly modern. Although a little on the small side, they are not too bad for NYC. I stayed on the 16th floor in a corner room and had a slight view of the East River. Each floor only had a few rooms, so did not feel crowded or overly busy. Never had any problem getting an elevator. The room itself had a nice flat-screen TV, although the channel selection was not the best, but when in NYC, there is so much more to do than watch TV!!

The bathroom was OK, but the water pressure was very poor, as was the drainage in the bath. Also, there was scaffolding outside the hotel and I did hear workers and there was a weird smell when I got back to the room on my second evening. For once, the internet speed was good!

The bar downstairs was a bit cold and boring. The breakfast buffet was a little on the boring side, with the choice of food not much better than a Hampton Inn. Also, the service was not great and felt a little impersonal (they were more worried to know if I had a coupon or not.) Also, the tea was luke warm and tasteless. Overall, not a great breakfast experience. (I did get this compliemntary as a HHonors Gold member, so cannot complain too much).

Hotel had a gym, but no pool, so would not bring my kids here.

For the price paid, this was a good stay and I would stay here again if I got a similar rate. Anymore than that, then I would maybe look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a high floor to minimise street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
We thank you for your detailed comments about your stay with us and we will certainly focus on the issues you point out. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you would return to our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
rochester,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

$115/night on hotels.com. Couldn't beat the price and really enjoyed the location. Service was great too. A little delay getting fresh towels from housekeeping and carpet wasn't vaccumed thoroughly before we arrived. But doormen, bellman and front desk personnel were all great. Didn't eat at hotel, as there are plenty of options in the area. Would definitely stay again for the right price.

• Stayed November 2012
We appreciate your recommendation and the kind comments about our location, our staff and the service they provided during your stay. We hope to see you again for your next visit to New York.
Naas, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I like Hilton hotels for the conformity of service, and real good quality even if frills are sometime excluded.

For staff service at the Hilton was good. Rooms were nice (no natural light and boarded windows, but it was after Hurricane Sandy, so no problem). However breakfast buffet really was substandard. Food quality was terrible. Disappointing!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry that you were disappointed with our breakfast buffet. The boarded windows that resulted from Hurricane Sandy have been repaired. We thank you for your positive comments about the staff and service and for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!