Usually when in NY I stay at the Millennium Hilton, but since I wasn't sure how Battery Park had fared since Hurricane Sandy, I elected to stay at another Hilton property. I chose the Hilton Manhattan East largely because the pictures on the Hilton website and description of "boutique" hotel interested me. I don't usually associate the terms "Hilton" and "boutique" in the same sentence, and, as a frequent traveler, wanted to see how this played out.
I was pleasantly surprised. At check-in, there was a problem with my credit card (ended up that the bank was having computer issues) which the manager himself came out and handled, saving me potential embarrassment (there were other people checking in at the same time). When I arrived at my room, I was awestruck. I was a little wary given the descriptions of the room size from this website. While it might have been a little too "cozy" for two, it was perfect for me...and SPOTLESSLY clean! Furniture is of high quality, hallways are pristine, floors are absolutely quiet (there are only 5 rooms per floor) and the bathrooms are large and lovely.
The restaurant was wonderful, and I adored the server. : ) (Didn't get his name, but he was on duty the weekend evenings of Nov. 30 and Dec. 1). Everyone was so friendly. Members of the Red Cross who are helping out in Staten Island are staying here, and it was like a "family" atmosphere...much appreciated during te holidays as a solo traveler!
You do need to stop and think about the shower controls and light controls...they are a little unique...but my FAVORITE touch is the doorbell outside of each room! The closest train station is Grand Central (about a 5-10 minute walk) and there are plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby.
Overall, good job Manhattan East! I'll be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Formerly the Tudor Hotel, this Midtown historic boutique hotel was transformed and reopened in 2010 as the Hilton Midtown East. 300 Guest Rooms and Suites located on East 42nd St. Walking distance to Grand Central, Midtown and the United Nations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Manhattan East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Manhattan East Hotel New York City
- Tudor Hotel United Nations
- Crowne Plaza United Nations
- Tudor Hotel New York City