I arrived at the Hilton Manhattan East just before the 'Frankenstorm' and had a wonderful stay. I didn't know the area that well, but the hotel had been recommended to me as it was good value and quite small, for Manhattan, with a local feel to it.
The location is on 42nd Street, between 2nd Avenue and the United Nations Building. It is in walking distance of Grand Central Station and therefore Macy's and even Times Square and it is easy to negotiate the area and the sights.
What is so wonderful about the Hilton is that after a day of sightseeing and shopping in all the famous areas you come back to a home from home, with staff that recognise you and wonderful 2nd Avenue is right on your doorstep with lots of eateries and shops. There is such an variety of restaurants nearby you are spoilt for choice and all the shops are 'real' (as in not touristy and a rip off).
The hotel itself has two towers, I stayed in the North tower and had a beautiful corner room with two windows. Being New York the room didn't have a view as all the buildings are so densely built, but there was plenty of light and the room itself was perfect. I had a huge king sized bed with plenty of pillows and a bolster. The duvet was like being at home and I slept wonderfully. The bathroom even had a window...a rarity in many hotels, not just New York! I think the rooms had been renovated recently as they were so clean and modern. Wi-Fi was speedy, but the hotel should look at making it free of charge as so many other hotels are doing nowadays...not just free in the public areas...it's difficult to do conference calls sitting in a busy lobby.
The gym is excellent and open all the time (I was up at 4am due to jet lag).
The people on Front of house were knowledgeable and very friendly, nothing was too much for them. I would recommend this hotel to both the business community and sightseers (as long as they were quiet).
I will definitely come again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Formerly the Tudor Hotel, this Midtown historic boutique hotel was transformed and reopened in 2010 as the Hilton Midtown East. 300 Guest Rooms and Suites located on East 42nd St. Walking distance to Grand Central, Midtown and the United Nations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Manhattan East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Manhattan East Hotel New York City
- Tudor Hotel United Nations
- Crowne Plaza United Nations
- Tudor Hotel New York City