“Friendly and Good Value Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

Save Saved
You added Hilton Manhattan East to your Saves list
Hilton Manhattan East
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   304 E. 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Formerly Tudor Hotel New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points!
Ranked #227 of 449 hotels in New York City
London, UK
“Friendly and Good Value Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I arrived at the Hilton Manhattan East just before the 'Frankenstorm' and had a wonderful stay. I didn't know the area that well, but the hotel had been recommended to me as it was good value and quite small, for Manhattan, with a local feel to it.
The location is on 42nd Street, between 2nd Avenue and the United Nations Building. It is in walking distance of Grand Central Station and therefore Macy's and even Times Square and it is easy to negotiate the area and the sights.
What is so wonderful about the Hilton is that after a day of sightseeing and shopping in all the famous areas you come back to a home from home, with staff that recognise you and wonderful 2nd Avenue is right on your doorstep with lots of eateries and shops. There is such an variety of restaurants nearby you are spoilt for choice and all the shops are 'real' (as in not touristy and a rip off).
The hotel itself has two towers, I stayed in the North tower and had a beautiful corner room with two windows. Being New York the room didn't have a view as all the buildings are so densely built, but there was plenty of light and the room itself was perfect. I had a huge king sized bed with plenty of pillows and a bolster. The duvet was like being at home and I slept wonderfully. The bathroom even had a window...a rarity in many hotels, not just New York! I think the rooms had been renovated recently as they were so clean and modern. Wi-Fi was speedy, but the hotel should look at making it free of charge as so many other hotels are doing nowadays...not just free in the public areas...it's difficult to do conference calls sitting in a busy lobby.
The gym is excellent and open all the time (I was up at 4am due to jet lag).
The people on Front of house were knowledgeable and very friendly, nothing was too much for them. I would recommend this hotel to both the business community and sightseers (as long as they were quiet).
I will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...they are lighter, slightly larger than the average room and very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
On behalf of our friendly and helpful staff, I thank you for writing such nice comments about our hotel, our people, and our location. I am glad we were able to provide for your comfort during the hurricane and hope to see you again when Mother Nature is as hospitable as we are.

1,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Czech first
knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Rooms were a nice size, especially for NY. Beds were extremely comfortable. Staff went over and beyond the call of duty to make our stay pleasant. A couple of things needed repair and cleaning in the room and the Houskeeping Manager, Maria Vega, was on it immediately! She not only got things fixed and cleaned right away, she sent up 4 waters for us. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it highly. Coffee maker and coffee in the room were delicious too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff, particularly Maria, for their outstanding service. Your comments about our hotel, our creature comforts, and our people are deeply appreciated. I hope you will visit with us again soon.
Pantelleria, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This Hotel I stay was nice and the Staff very friendly. The Room are a bit small but this Hotel still have same room as a smoking one and this is quite unique especially on the State. Also the room has a cafe machine with lavazza. Just stay one night, for business and I can't add more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are pleased to know that we provided for all of your needs during your brief stay with us. Thank you for writing. We hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The boyfriend and I have a nice little trip planned to NYC next week and so it made perfect sense for us to book a room at the Hilton Manhattan East considering that he is a BLACKSTONE employee. Since it will be his birthday I decided to call the hotel ahead of time to arrange for some surprise ammenities in our room prior to arrival. Great idea, right? Wrong. Long story short: if you would like to speak to someone incredibly rude who doesn't want to listen to a word you say and then transfers you to the wrong department multiple times without so much as letting you finish your sentence, I would recommend you call Mercedes at the Hilton Manhattan East. Don't even get me started on what happened when I called back the third time to speak to a manager.

I can only imagine what service would look like onsite, and considering that there are a million other hotels to choose from (we chose this based on location and because of the Blackstone relationship) I will not deal with this unacceptable customer service. If you are clearly above taking my money then I am happy to take it elsewhere. Thank you, Mercedes.

Room Tip: The one and only information piece that Mercedes shared was that there are no good views out of any...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
I am sorry that you had this experience when calling our hotel, however, I can assure you that it is not indicative of the service our staff normally provides to our guests. I invite you to contact me directly so that I can personally make arrangements for you to have an enjoyable stay with us.
South Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked this hotel blind. I had no idea until after booking if it would be a good choice. It was a great one. Located just 2.5 blocks from Grand Central Station, I was able to get around the city with ease. The hotel is clean and comfortable. The rooms are a bit small, as expected in the cty. The hotel staff was extremely courteous and efficient. Their dining recommendations were spot on and they helped with transportation guidance whenever needed. This is not a terribly noisy part of town and is close to the Chrysler Building and great restaurants. I highly recommend this hotel if you wish to stay on the east side.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
We are very grateful for your enthusiastic recommendation of our hotel. Thank you for mentioning our many features - convenient location, clean and comfortable, extremely courteous and efficient staff, good recommendations for dining and transportation, and close to great restaurants. We could not have said it better ourselves ....hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This would never be my first choice, ten minute walk off the beaten track, but those times when nothing is available under $400, this is a more than acceptable option.

Rooms a bit small and in my case what sounded like elevator related noise, but earplugs supplied by front desk together with comfortable bed made all ok.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry that we won't be your first choice, but we do appreciate that we are a more than acceptable option for you. Just a reminder that we are only 2 blocks from Grand Central Terminal, so not so far off the beaten track. Thanks for writing and for being our guest.
Collierville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We arrived before check-in and the staff was very helpful. Our luggage was stored and Kevin Law, at the front desk, gave us suggestions for lunch. I had booked through Priceline and needed a room with two beds. Evidently this hotel only has 12 rooms with two double beds. This was a bit disappointing. Kevin did get us a room with two twin beds. Not really what we wanted but the best alternative.

The room wasn't huge but there seemed to be more space than other NYC rooms. Unfortunately our view was of a wall and a back alley.

The room was clean but mid way through the week, the four sets of towels were only replaced with three. No idea why. The shower looked complicated but there were great directions and it was more intuitive than it first appeared. The shower current was missing a grommet which I did not expect at a Hilton. My friend found a pair of socks under her bed as we were packing up. Unfortunately, they weren't hers!!

There is not free internet in the room since I'm not a HHonors member. We went down to the lobby each night. One night it wouldn't connect so the night manager took care of it. He was also very helpful but I didn't get his name. He suggested a great breakfast place that was only two blocks away.

I take medication that requires refrigeration so Kevin had a refrigerator in the room by the time we checked in. The only issue with Hilton refrigerators is they don't have a freezer compartment. This means that the ice pack for my med carrier has to be stored elsewhere. Kevin told me that he noted where it was located. This morning the staff was unable to find it! They saw the note but couldn't find it. The manager did give me another cold pack to use but it wasn't an ice pack or designed to fit my med carrier. Now I'll have to buy another.

A few issues but I would stay here again. The staff certainly made up for the small disappointments.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your compliments directed to members of our staff who made sure that your special needs were accommodated. We also appreciate the few minor issues being brought to our attention so we can take corrective action. We hope to see you during your next visit to New York City.

Been to Hilton Manhattan East? Share your experiences!