“Outstanding Group Sales Managers, Great Location, Excellent Service & Nice Personal Touch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

You added The Kimberly Hotel to your Saves list
The Kimberly Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   145 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #121 of 459 Hotels in New York City
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

My organization had their 3 day conference at the Kimberly. The staff, especially the Group Sales Managers were outstanding. They were both extremely attentive and always willing to to the extra mile to ensure that my conference logistics at the Kimberly would be excellent. Everyone at the conference simply RAVED about their 1BR suites, the conference room with the 3 LCD screens, and the great food! Great job, Kimberly Hotel. WE. WILL. BE. BACK. Thanks so much.

S. Cole, New York, NY

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
Dracut, Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We had a two bedroom suite with an outside deck with limited but nice views from the 19th floor. Full compact kitchen, two baths, really nice older hotel. Lots of action by the lobby and out on the street.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We are a family of 5, two adults and three children between the ages of 7 and 13. Travelling with a family of 5 can be tricky in NYC due to extremely rigid room occupancy regulations. After a lot of research, we decided on the Kimberly based on the size of the room, location and the good Trip Advisor reviews.
The Good:
1.Our room was HUGE...especially for NYC. We had a three bedroom/two bathroom suite. It was on two floors connected by a 70's style spiral staircase. My kids thought this was the coolest thing ever!
2.The rate for a room of this size was great (not cheap, but great for the size)
3.The beds were very clean and extremely comfortable. The linens felt new.
4. There were nice flat panel TV’s in each room.
5.The location was great. We walked everywhere...Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Times Square, Dylan's Candy Bar.

The Not As Good:
1. The carpets were old and in need of replacing...or at least major cleaning! I would not have walked around bare foot!
2. The bathroom definitely needed updating...along with all the major permanent fixtures in the room (closet door, railing of spiral stairs, non-working safe etc.).
3. The mini fridge had soda spilled all over the inside of it...how can they charge for the mini bar if no one looks to see what you ate/drank?? Maybe it had been a few days since this room was occupied because the soda looked sticky rather than runny...although I admit I didn't touch it! Some of the soda had leaked into the cabinet holding the fridge and there were a ton of ants enjoying it...Yuk!! We called the front desk and they were very responsive in coming to clean.
4. Well, we tried to call the front desk that is. I had to call from my cell phone because none of the many phones in our room were working. However, once again, they were very quick to send someone up to fix the phones (which are also outdated, btw).
5. The bathrooms, while clean and spacious, are also in need of major updates. Other than the grey and white marble on the floor, everything looked like a perfect 1970's bathroom.
6. There was a balcony off of the second floor bedroom that we did not use but which was filthy and looked as if no one had stepped foot on it for many months. I stepped out onto this balcony for a moment and saw that there was another door leading to the hotel which was standing wide open. It looked like it might lead to another room or a service hall way or something and gave me the creeps. I went back into our room, locked the door and didn't venture out there again.

One side note...the restaurant next to the hotel...Nikki's...serves a great Sunday buffet brunch. Very reasonable rate for a ton of basic, well prepared, all-you-can-eat brunch food.
The hotel's restaurant was under renovation during our stay.

Overall, this room more than met our needs...but I am left with a little bit of a “yuck” feeling and am pretty sure that I would not return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I had the pleasure of visiting the Kimberly the weekend of 11/15. I didn't know what to expect as it looked like it was an older property going through some renovations. We got to the hotel, and it was obvious that it is an older, classic NYC hotel. There was scafolding, and the lobby is a bit old fashioned. Going up to the room, carpets kind of old fashioned, but it is in keeping with the style of the building and the rest of the decor. We were given a room with a balcony on the 17th floor, and we were not dissapointed, in fact, I was quite impressed. The room was like a regal New York City one bedroom apartment that was still classic, but recently updated. The furnishings, although ornate, were magnificant, and clean, clean, clean. The room was fresh and spotless. The bathroom was probably the biggest, most well-appointed bathoom I have ever seen in a hotel. I didn't want to leave the shower! It was huge, and featured a tremendous rain-shower head, and a hand held sprayer. It was great.

It cannot go without saying that the place has some value to it as well! I cannot speak about the actual room price as we did not pay for it directly, but what was amazing to me was the overnight parking was only $30 a night! Quite a value for NYC!. In addition, the mini-bar prices were quite reasonable- a rare for NYC hotels, AND, although we didn't take advantage of it, since the restaurant was closed for renovations, the Kimberly was offering 50% off of room service! I couldn't believe it. Quite a lovely offering. This is a great hotel, and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

The location (mid-town) was convenient. The room was clean, and had all sorts of amenities. There was an iPod dock (and radio alarm clock in one), a coffee-maker (and also tea available), a small refrigerator, a microwave, a bathroom scale, two white terry bathrobes and slippers, two umbrellas, a small safe, and even an electronic shoe-shiner. They had the usual shampoo and lotion (Neutrogena brand), but also had conditioner (which I’ve noticed a lot of hotels don’t have) and mouthwash. So, more than you usually see in a hotel room.
By New York City standards, the room was definitely large, and that was a nice surprise. The bathtub was also quite large, great for a bath. The shower pressure was good. They used Neutrogena shampoo, conditioner, and lotion, which I liked—I like nothing too perfumed or fancy.
The bed was extremely comfortable for me—not too soft and not too hard. Lots of pillows. There were also two nice chairs and a table, a desk and a chair, and an enormous widescreen TV on the wall.
The front desk and lobby people were very helpful and pleasant. I was very happy with the hotel and would definitely come to the Kimberly again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
dallas, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I have been to NYC several times for business and leisure. The customer service provided at the Kimberly was the best I have ever experienced. The bellman never failed to open the door or get a taxi immediately. The rooms were cozy, comfortable and immaculately clean. The view from the 27th floor was awesome!

Also great little cafe next door!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

stayed here for 1/2 term trip recently with friend and 2 teenage girls. Suite format of rooms worked really well and the area seemed safe for girls to walk out on their own even in the evening.
Staff responsive and friendly. Many of them had been at the hotel for many years - always a good sign.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Kimberly Hotel? Share your experiences!