“Very good with some concerns for the future” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Kimberly Hotel to your Saves list
The Kimberly Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   145 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #90 of 451 hotels in New York City
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Very good with some concerns for the future”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

It is almost twenty years now since I first stayed at this hotel in NYC. Since my first time there, some things have always attracted me to this place. Its location, its small hotel ambiance, its very comfortable and practical rooms, the option to use the kitchenet in the rooms.
But, this time, some details seem to have changed and I am concerned for the future.
It is true that, this time, we had the big storm Sandy to worry about. We were in NYC on October the 30th, 2012. Everything went OK in the Hotel. We thanked God we were in this location, where some wind and rain were the only things we felt.
However, something was different, from the first day. The Hotel looked a little bit outdated. The staff a little less efficient. The door bell staff could not find a package that had arrived for me one day before my arrival and I had to be somewhat insistent with them. When it finally arrived in my room it had a tag of the San Carlos Hotel on it!
I had no internet for most of my stay. Nevertheless, if I had not complained they would have charged me, and it is not cheap to have some access in the rooms . The room had a falling cupboard door that was not fixed. The heating in the living room of the suite was not working and had to be fixed. Last but not least, every night there was a somewhat disturbing movement of people in and out because of the new bar at the 30th floor. The lifts were always full and, sometimes, I had to wait some ten minutes to take them along the day.
I fear the Kimberly has changed its operating policy. It reminded me of the San Carlos, the hotel just in front where I stayed some years ago and did not like. In view of what happened to my package, I supposed both hotels have the same owner now. I still find it a good place to stay in New York, but something seems to have been lost. It does not look like a luxury hotel anymore.

Room Tip: Avoid the 30th floor (too noisy at night), some rooms look old.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
kimmie145, Director of Sales at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry that you felt that things have changed at the hotel. We just underwent a $12million renovation which was completed at the end of 2011. Even our lobby has had the first phase of its renovation, so do let us know which room you stayed in so we might take a look at it.

We also regret what happened with your package, but if it was tagged for the San Carlos, it is likely that it was sent there in the beginning or that we put it back in the group of packages which arrived to the wrong address. The Kimberly and The San Carlos remain two independent properties, sharing only proximity.

During Sandy, we were fortunate not to have lost our services, with the exception of our internet which was down for a few days. We apologize, but unfortunately, we had no control over this. We are thankful that internet was all we lost given that so many suffered such severe losses during that time. As a result of Sandy we were also fully booked as families from downtown sought refuge in midtown and stranded guests returned from the airports after their flights were cancelled. In spite of the fact that the rooftop has its own elevator, the hotel itself was at capacity, hence the pressure on our elevators.

We hope that you will choose to visit us once again in a time when we are not coping with such a devastating disaster, so we might help you to enjoy The Kimberly and all her improvements over what you saw twenty years ago.

972 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Kimberly Hotel days before Superstorm Sandy reached Mahattan. This hotel is a great value for your money and is well located, our room was exceptionally large and clean and the staff extremely help . The roof top bar and restaurant were excellent and with the hotel discount a tremedous buy for NYC - enjoy the breakfast in a retractable glass rooftop that provides incredible views of the suurounding skyscrapers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Unfortunately, I stayed in the Kimberly Hotel. What a nightmare. I was put on the floor below their bar. Loud music all night. Did absolute nothing to stop it and would not move me to another floor. This is a five star hotel? You got to be kidding....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
kimmie145, Director of Sales at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We apologize for this. Under normal circumstances we would have moved you, but the hotel was completely sold out over the dates that you stayed with us. We have addressed this issue directly with the manager at Upstairs. Kindly contact me directly so that we may arrange for you to return and experience the true service we offer to so many satisfied customers.

Kenmore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have stayed at the Kimberly many times. I love the 2 bedroom suite option and come with my siblings for a reunion about once a year. The rooms are lovely and the view of the Chrysler Building is superb. The first few times the beds were clouds of down and, I'm sorry to report, that is no longer true. The beds are very comfortable but the feather beds and real down pillows are, alas, no longer in evidence. The staff are (with exception noted later) very friendly and helpful. The exception occurred when we booked, through the hotel, a town car to take us to the theater. It was booked for 7:00 and, when It hadn't shown up by 7:10, we asked the desk to contact them and were told they had called and were running about 10 minutes late. At 20 after, we were starting to panic. The concierge had left. The desk personnel told us there was no record of us booking a car! (This was after telling us that the car company had called and said they were running late). They were quite rude! We found a car willing to take us and pick us up, but the original company charged my credit card and it took over 2 weeks for them to refund it (by check)!
The hotel is lovely, though and the rooftop bar is amazing.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suites are on the highest floors and have the Chrysler building views, and balconies!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We love staying at The Kimberly! We have stayed here before and each time, we have had a great experience. The staff is lovely, friendly and helpful from the doorman outside, the cleaning staff, front desk/concierge, bellman and waitstaff upstairs at the restaurant. We usually stay in a one bedroom suite. We had a generous sitting area with a fridge, microwave, utensils, coffee marker and a separate room for sleeping. Bedding was comfortable and I loved the turn down service (yummy chocolates!). The rooms seem recently updated and they are clean and comfortable. We had breakfast upstairs and ate dinner at the adjacent restaurant NOIR- excellent food and service for both. Location is great as well...close to GrandCentral, 5th Avenue shops and easy to walk to great restaurants and shopping. I believe that you also have access to fitness center-we did not use on this trip but a nice perk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
kimmie145, Director of Sales at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your patronage and we greatly appreciate that you continue to choose The Kimberly when visiting Manhattan. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year!

Marca Skyers-James
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Although I frequently travel to Manhattan, this was the first time at the Kimberly. I was looking for an affordable suite option with 2 comfortable beds, while traveling with a family member. This is your place if you have similar demands. Very European feel; well-kept "prewar" building. Each suite is more like your own NY apartment than a cold/antiseptic hotel room. The deluxe 2 bedroom was very large and perfectly suited for people traveling together needing more space, and a kitchenette. Centrally located in Midtown (50th street) a block from Smith/Wolensky's and Third/Lexington Avenue. Enclosed rooftop solarium restaurant/bar had spectacular views of Chrysler Building and East River. Buffet breakfast could be slightly higher quality and more bountiful for the price, but all in all, I would not hesitate to stay there again for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us here at The Kimberly Hotel.

We are extremely happy to hear that you felt so at home in one of our spacious and inviting Two Bedroom suites as they are very popular with families travelling together. We are also glad that you were able to enjoy and take in the amazing panoramic views of the city from our rooftop restaurant "Upstairs".

As you mentioned that you visit Manhattan frequently, we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I lost power, heat, and hot water the night of Hurricane Sandy. While we are very lucky this is all we lost, after sticking it out at home for two days, we ventured uptown for cell service, electricity, heat, and a hot meal. I have a heart condition and we were nervous staying downtown with no way of getting help if it was needed. Uptown on the third day, we walked up and down seven or eight blocks. Every single hotel was booked due to the marathon. We eventually found ourselves on 50th street and decided Kimberly would be our last attempt -if they didn't have rooms we were going back to the "1800's" downtown.

The faces at the front desk couldn't be more welcoming. While they had a full house they heard our story and said they would work with us. Charles at the front desk and Mr. Perezic were welcoming, comforting, and super sweet. I told both of them about my memories of the Kimberly as a child (my father took us there Thanksgivings to see the balloons get blown up before the parade). They saw how exhausted and frazzled we were, and offered us a discounted meal at the restaurant and a round of (much needed) drinks while they prepared our room.

The rooms at the Kimberly are super clean (and I am extremely picky), and we had a comfortable stay. The first night we had a one bedroom suite on the 17th floor which was HUGE especially for NYC! Even their regular king-size room is spacious with a large bathroom. Impressive. We stayed two wonderfully warm and cozy nights, and left only when we heard our lights were on.
Despite the fact the hotel was slam packed with guests for the marathon, they made it work for us somehow. They knew we were feeling a little displaced, and they went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable --especially nice when I didn't feel well on the last night. For that, I had to take the time to write the review here. I want to make it a tradition now, and take a "stay-cation" uptown at least once a year at the Kimberly.

Thank you Charles, Mr. Perezic, the Front Desk Staff and McKayla the bartender in the restaurant for being so sweet to us! We will highly recommend the Kimberly.

Room Tip: Higher floors = less noise only because you are in midtown Manhattan and the garbage trucks are loud...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
kimmie145, Director of Sales at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

First, let me extend the heartfelt sympathies of our entire team to you and your husband. Secondly, thank you so much for making us your last attempt in your search for a room. We are happy that you found us and that you took the time to write this very warm review about the hotel and our staff.

At The Kimberly, we are like one big family with most of us having worked here for many years. We consider you as part of our extended Kimberly family. Although I am sure you are happy to be back in the comfort of your own home, we look forward to welcoming you back for your mentioned stay-cation with your Kimberly family in the very near future.

Best regards,
Marcia Skyers-James

Been to The Kimberly Hotel? Share your experiences!