“One of the best places to stay if you are looking for 2 person suites” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Kimberly Hotel to your Saves list
The Kimberly Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   145 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #99 of 451 hotels in New York City
Coral Gables, Florida
“One of the best places to stay if you are looking for 2 person suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Although I frequently travel to Manhattan, this was the first time at the Kimberly. I was looking for an affordable suite option with 2 comfortable beds, while traveling with a family member. This is your place if you have similar demands. Very European feel; well-kept "prewar" building. Each suite is more like your own NY apartment than a cold/antiseptic hotel room. The deluxe 2 bedroom was very large and perfectly suited for people traveling together needing more space, and a kitchenette. Centrally located in Midtown (50th street) a block from Smith/Wolensky's and Third/Lexington Avenue. Enclosed rooftop solarium restaurant/bar had spectacular views of Chrysler Building and East River. Buffet breakfast could be slightly higher quality and more bountiful for the price, but all in all, I would not hesitate to stay there again for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
kimmie145, Director of Sales at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us here at The Kimberly Hotel.

We are extremely happy to hear that you felt so at home in one of our spacious and inviting Two Bedroom suites as they are very popular with families travelling together. We are also glad that you were able to enjoy and take in the amazing panoramic views of the city from our rooftop restaurant "Upstairs".

As you mentioned that you visit Manhattan frequently, we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Best Regards,
Director of Sales & Marketing

974 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Polish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I lost power, heat, and hot water the night of Hurricane Sandy. While we are very lucky this is all we lost, after sticking it out at home for two days, we ventured uptown for cell service, electricity, heat, and a hot meal. I have a heart condition and we were nervous staying downtown with no way of getting help if it was needed. Uptown on the third day, we walked up and down seven or eight blocks. Every single hotel was booked due to the marathon. We eventually found ourselves on 50th street and decided Kimberly would be our last attempt -if they didn't have rooms we were going back to the "1800's" downtown.

The faces at the front desk couldn't be more welcoming. While they had a full house they heard our story and said they would work with us. Charles at the front desk and Mr. Perezic were welcoming, comforting, and super sweet. I told both of them about my memories of the Kimberly as a child (my father took us there Thanksgivings to see the balloons get blown up before the parade). They saw how exhausted and frazzled we were, and offered us a discounted meal at the restaurant and a round of (much needed) drinks while they prepared our room.

The rooms at the Kimberly are super clean (and I am extremely picky), and we had a comfortable stay. The first night we had a one bedroom suite on the 17th floor which was HUGE especially for NYC! Even their regular king-size room is spacious with a large bathroom. Impressive. We stayed two wonderfully warm and cozy nights, and left only when we heard our lights were on.
Despite the fact the hotel was slam packed with guests for the marathon, they made it work for us somehow. They knew we were feeling a little displaced, and they went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable --especially nice when I didn't feel well on the last night. For that, I had to take the time to write the review here. I want to make it a tradition now, and take a "stay-cation" uptown at least once a year at the Kimberly.

Thank you Charles, Mr. Perezic, the Front Desk Staff and McKayla the bartender in the restaurant for being so sweet to us! We will highly recommend the Kimberly.

Room Tip: Higher floors = less noise only because you are in midtown Manhattan and the garbage trucks are loud...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
kimmie145, Director of Sales at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

First, let me extend the heartfelt sympathies of our entire team to you and your husband. Secondly, thank you so much for making us your last attempt in your search for a room. We are happy that you found us and that you took the time to write this very warm review about the hotel and our staff.

At The Kimberly, we are like one big family with most of us having worked here for many years. We consider you as part of our extended Kimberly family. Although I am sure you are happy to be back in the comfort of your own home, we look forward to welcoming you back for your mentioned stay-cation with your Kimberly family in the very near future.

Best regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Really loved this hotel. During a recent stay we stayed in a suite. Very spacious and clean. There was a fridge, microwave glasses (wine, juice, etc), silverware etc. Staff was very helpful. Directed us to great restaurant. Rooftop bar very cute. Did not order food so cannot comment. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at The Kimberly and for taking the time to post your thoughts on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed you stay with us. Yes, we too love the fact that we can offer a little more space in our suite accommodations. We look forward to your next visit - hopefully that will be soon.

Best regards,
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The suite was nice and very big. Large selection of TV channels and the air conditioning was good.
All the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant particularly one gentleman who was usually around the lobby holding the elevator for guests.
He informed us that Obama and Romney were going to be having dinner in the Waldorf just across the road the next day so there could be disruption around the area, but too be honest it wasn't too bad. Mainly just a large police presence and we asked not to use our balconies for a couple of hours while the "dignitaries" were moving around.
The bathroom was stocked with a nice selection of toiletries and the room had a microwave which we didnt use but it was handy to know it was there if needed.
The only problem I encountered was the noise of the pipes in the bathroom. It seems to be a common occurence looking at some other reviews.
The location is nice and it suited us as we used the train to get back to JFK so we were only a couple of minutes walk from the subway station we needed.
I have rated it 3 out of 5. It would have been 4 but any hotel in this day and age that still charges its guests for internet acces automatically gets deducted a point by me :-)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us while you were in NYC and for taking the time to post your thoughts about The Kimberly.

It seems you came to us at one of those times when there was a lot going on in the city - a common occurence in the Big Apple. We are glad that this did not disturb your stay. The noise in the pipes is not a common complaint for us, so our Engineering team is looking into that currently.

In NYC it is common for hotels to charge for internet access. We are reviewing this policy. In the meantime, we do offer free wifi in all our public areas as well as free use of our computers and printers in our business corner.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. Most of the rooms (not all, as we found out on this trip) are laid out as small apartments with the bedroom and living areas being separate rooms, which we greatly enjoy. On this trip, we were given a room on the 30th floor, the top residential floor. The view was spectacular and the room greatly upgraded. HOWEVER, as we found out to our chagrin, the 31st floor is now a restaurant/cocktail bar/lounge with people scraping chairs over the wooden floor until 2:00 a.m. and a breakfast crew starting at 6:00 a.m. The first night (a Friday) wasn't too bad, but on Saturday night, we had to move rooms well after midnight since it was impossible to sleep. Despite the touting of one of the management team that all the rooms are alike, the room they moved us to was not a suite (no separate living area),but we were too tired to do anything until the next day, when we moved again. The third room we were in did not have the sound-proofing in the windows of the other rooms. When we checked out we asked for and received a credit for the night we had to move (nobody offered it to it), but we will be looking for a different hotel for our next trip to New York.

Room Tip: Avoid the 30th floor.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on the 24th floor for 5 days in October. Both bedrooms were of a good size and the lounge/kitchenette was very spacious. Exteremely clean and the decor was in good condition. Beds super comfortable. The hotel itself is more luxury apartment block - with concierege facility - than a traditional hotel, but that suited us just fine. I don't want to pay for facilities I will never use. Rooftop bar looked fun. Location is great for midtown, 2 subway stations very close by and a short walk to the Rockefeller Centre/5th Ave. Diner next door perfect for breakfast or lunch. Doormen and concierge were friendly and very helpful; shame the room service staff were not as accomodating. On 3 separate occasions we asked for a bucket of ice to be brought to the rooom and it never appeared - ok so they couldn't charge for it but if that's your attitude then provide a communal ice machine! Apart from that I really cannot fault the place. It may not be the glitziest hotel in town but I'll bet there are few other places as roomy and comfortable for a family to stay. No it isn't cheap, but as another contributor pointed out when it comes to NYC hotel prices, the first thing you need to do is alter your idea of "reasonable"! Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, or to recommend it.

Room Tip: Top 3 or 4 floors likley to get noise from the bar at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is purported as a luxury hotel--that is not the case as you will see in my review below.

I used HotelsTonight (first time using them) to book a four night stay at Kimberly. The outside and lobby does not ooze luxury but I was prepared for that from reading the reviews. I checked-in around 11pm and was told I received an "upgrade" to a suite. I went into my "suite" which was 2A, next to the elevator, and supposedly a handicapped accessible room. I walked in and could tell this was not "luxury" and went back to the lobby and asked for another room. The website does not have a picture even close to this terrible room. I was told they were sold out and nothing else was available. I even asked if they could downgrade me back to a standard room as this room was not acceptable. I also checked to see if I could book another hotel but close to midnight, I wasn't having any luck and I needed to change and meet my friends. I asked if it was possible to cancel the next three nights so that I could book another hotel room. They said I'd need to check with HotelsTonight and Front Desk in the morning. Back to the crappy room I go.

Suite (and I use that term loosely) 2A was a good size. However, the shower doesn't have a bathtub or shower stall (I guess because it is for wheelchair use?). There was no place to put the shampoo, conditioner, or soap except on the floor, on the toilet seat, or on the very tiny sink. No sink space to put your cosmetics or skin care items. The Crabtree and Evelyn and Neutrogena products provided were the worse products I have ever used which is surprising because Crabtree is a decent company. The mirrors opened and had shelf space but looked dirty and may have had some water leakage issues before as you could see the water stains and boards that were cut-out and replaced. Everything in the room looked really worn and dated. The "closet" was extremly small and half of it was a utility closet so unusable. I opted to leave everything in my suitcase and use things as needed. It was that dirty. The kitchen is the old school appliances--I'm not cooking when I'm on vacation or at a luxury hotel--that is what room service is for. I did not have a balcony. Also, although this room is supposedly ADA compliant, I honestly don't think someone with a wheelchair could get into this room from the elevator. The space is very tight. In addition, the glasses/pots, etc. were all in the top cabinets and I don't think someone in a wheelchair could reach it (I could be wrong though). Really, this room should be available free of charge for people that just want to shower (i.e., people that checked-out but have a later flight and want to refresh) and even then, I'm sure they would receive compalints about this room. They should NOT sell this room. I called HotelsTonight and was told that they only promise to provide a room that sleeps two. Great--if I'd known that, I wouldn't have used them as I am very particular. They spoke to the hotel and confirmed they would move me to a different room in the morning and the morning shift starts at 7am. Fine. I get ready and am waiting in the lobby for my friends to pick me up and I get propositioned! I have worn the same outfit in NYC when I stayed at the Intercontinnental Barclay before and have never ever been thought I was a hooker so that just shows what kind of people are at this hotel--eww.

I get back around 5am and sit around in my "suite" until 7am and call downstairs to ask about changing rooms. They said no one has checked-out yet but they will call me. Peter (I'm spelling this wrong) called me a few hours later and took me to 4L a standard room. I looked at it and deemed it acceptable and what I had originally expected (think standard Loews hotel). As soon as you get off the elevator, there is dirty sheets in a big trash can which was unsightly but understandable because it was check-out time (more to come on that). Proceeded to move all my items, unpack, and suddenly hear what sounds like a jackhammer coming from my bathroom--looked under the sink and see the pipes are rattling like crazy. I call Peter and he hears it and says he will send maintenance. I wait around for an hour--no one shows-up but the noise has stopped so I start getting ready to go out. I come back around 5pm that night and the trashcan is still by the side of the elevators but empty. Really, there isn't a storage place to put your trashcan except in the hallway by the elevator? I get back the next day around 6am to go to sleep and the trash can is still there! Then I am abruptly awakened by the same jackhammer noise in the bathroom! I call front desk and they immediately come up and determined the issue was when next door takes a shower. I applaud the promptness but the issue wasn't fixed and I could not go to sleep because the noise was continuous. I asked for another room to just sleep while they fix the problem and was told nothing was available. I called HotelsTonight and told them my issues and expressed my frustration. I wanted to cancel and find another hotel--there was no point moving me into another room. I deliberately booked four nights at the same hotel so I wouldn't have to pack and change hotels each night which was essentially what I was doing here but playing roulette room change. Due to my experiences, HotesTonight allowed me to cancel the next two nights. I called front desk to inform them I was checking out and asked for an hour--they actually hesitated!--but reluctantly allowed me an hour to shower, change, and pack to get out of their hotel. I booked a room at Marriott East and the customer service there was ten times better. This was a Saturday! Do you know how difficult it was to find a room during halloween weekend and sensation white party?! What an inconvenience!

While I was downstairs waiting to check-out and give them their keys, two young ladies were arguing with the front desk about issues they had with the hotel. I stepped in and informed the more vocal lady that I was also having issues with the hotel and checking out early. She appreciated the moral support and indicated she would write to the hotel manager about the issue. Maybe the hotel does not like providing excellent customer service to the ladies? I saw a young man receive excellent customer service with Peter on Friday morning. What's funny is Peter actually seems like the type that would be a good manager. I don't understand why this hotel and staff is so unaccomodating.

The customer service here is appalling. They do nothing to make guests happy. I didn't receive any compensation or an offer to compensate me for my ordeal--which I would have declined. I would be embarrassed to sell room 2A and indicate I was a luxury hotel. The better recourse would have been to put me in another hotel. I think this hotel is for budget families that want to save money and cook. Which is fine, but don't indicate you're a luxury hotel. I would rate this a 2 star hotels and thats being generous. Everyone knows this hotel because of the rooftop and I had to tell people that yes, the rooftop was nice but don't stay here. You can visit the rooftop even if you're not a guest so I would recommend that. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are disappointed that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Your experience seems to be unique and is by no means a reflection of our product or level of service and comfort which is noted in so many of the comments posted on TripAdvisor.

Room 2A which is a studio is shown as the second photo in the gallery on our website. It is indeed an accessible room and therefore meets the regulations required of such accommodations including a wheelcahr accessible shower. We are sorry that you were placed in an accessible room, bu this was due to our sold out situation that night.

Our General Manager would like to be able to correct your impressions of our hotel. Would you kindly call him (Mujo Perezic) at 212 702 1612 at your convenience? We look forward to hearing from you.

Marcia Skyers-James

Been to The Kimberly Hotel? Share your experiences!