“Will definitely be back!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Hotel

You added Excelsior Hotel to your Saves list
Excelsior Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 West 81st Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #296 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Will definitely be back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

After reading the reviews from people saying the service was horrible or the staff was in attentive....what hotel did you stay at! When we arrived the staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. We had to book a second room on our way, we had 2 extra kids coming with us. The front desk did whatever they could to make sure the rooms were as close to each other as possible. The concierge was very interested and willing to help too! I highly recommend the Excelsior. Oh and the rooms were great...clean, roomy and very comfortable!!

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Greek first
newark, delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Booked a double double room as part of our trip to visit New York's Natural History Museum. The hotel is right across the street from the Museum and Central Park. The neighborhood seemed to be primarily residential with some nice stores along Columbus Avenue. The hotel seemed very classy and traditional, lots of dark wood and chandeliers. The rooms where they serve breakfast are very tight, although the staff was very friendly there. Our room had two double beds, a kitchenette and spacious living room. It was very attractive and comfortable. One odd thing was the plastic on the windows, but I believe that was their way of providing winterzation for old wooden windows. It being an old hotel, you have no control over the amount of heating. We were able to crack the windows, and that worked just fine. We really enjoyed it here.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed here for 3 days. Very nice hotel but a bit dated. Near to central park, subway close by to get downtown. Room was huge, toliet / bathroom. BIt of a dissapointment that there was no coffee or tea making facilities in the room but you can ask for a kettle down at the reception desk. The other disappointment was no wifi in the room except down at the lobby or breakfast room. The hotel lobby was ok with restaurant adjacent to the lobby. For me the hotel was a bit out of the way.
Just outside adjacent to the hotel is Columbus Avenue, which has an abundant number of cafe bar/ restaurants which was quite good.

Room Tip: I was told the hotel is having work done and is being upgraded .....
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We took a last-minute trip to NYC and arrived very early in the morning. The young lady at the front desk, whom I believe was named Candace, was so welcoming. My husband realized he left his cell phone in the cab, and she immediately offered to call the cab company, whose number she already had. I was so grateful for her assistance in such a stressful situation. She also upgraded us to a suite, which was absolutely lovely and made our day a lot brighter. Later in the afternoon when we returned, she checked with us to see if the phone was returned. I've never had any hotel employee show so much concern and interest. Even if the hotel hadn't been so nice, I would return just because of her. However, the hotel is lovely and ideally located across the street from the Museum of Natural History. The lobby had such old-school charm, and the suite was cozy, clean and had a beautiful view overlooking the museum. We enjoyed being so close to Central Park. I cannot say enough good things about the Excelsior. This hotel is a classic.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 15th floor with a museum view. I highly recommend it as the city is laid out in fr...
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

After doing extensive research on Trip Advisors, I picked Excelsior Hotel for our first stay in NYC from 12/4 to 12/07/14, When we arrived we had no problem whatsoever with check in, the clerks were very nice as well. Hotel was very historic, clean and very beautiful. I asked for a room as high up as possible and received a room on 16th Floor (that is the top floor)! The room was clean, bathroom was squeaky clean, and moderate size for a NY Hotel. Didn't like that had to pay for WiFi, in the internet age, and our room was very hot, had to turn on A/C in the middle of winter, but? Second our porter MAREK was awesome, he was helpful with directions, getting us a car to the airport and assisting in any way he could. The price of the room was great, and the location great...lots to do close by, close to subway and across the street from Central Park. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I had the rare opportunity to visit NYC during the busy holiday season. I started researching hotels expecting to pay high prices. I was so pleased when I found The Excelsior Hotel on Orbitz - the rate seemed to good to be true. I was hesitant to book, but after reading a few reviews I went ahead and reserved my room. I am so glad I did!!

The hotel is a rare find in bustling NYC. It is vintage - so if you are looking for sleek and modern I would recommend you find other accommodations . The location is great. It is within easy walking distance of two main metro stops which allowed me to easily access all of the areas of NYC I wanted. It is located on the Upper West Side - right next to the Museum of Natural History and across the street from Central Park.

I arrived early and was able to immediately check-in - something a friend of mine was not able to do when he attempted to check into another hotel. Not only was I allowed to check in early, I was unexpectedly upgraded into a larger room. I had originally reserved a King room - I was given a King Suite! I was so impressed when I opened my door to see a quaint sitting area with an amazing view. I then noticed the french doors that opened into my spacious King Bedroom. So much space - something unheard of in NYC - and at a great rate!

If you are looking for sleek urban luxury or over the top opulence this is not the place for you. It was quaint - maybe the sofa was an odd color of gold velvet, but it was clean - comfortable - and spacious. My only complaint - and it is a minor complaint - the bathroom was a bit small. Regardless of size - it was clean, nice products, and plenty of towels.

Of course, all of this could have been undone had the staff been horrible - but again the Excelsior did not disappoint. Everyone was helpful, friendly, and efficient. I was so pleased by my entire stay. I look forward to visiting again soon.

Thank you Excelsior for making my two days of holiday cheer more comfortable and bright!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed here for two nights while attending family Xmas celebrations. The good is the front desl staff ! The bad is the rooms really need an update. A coffee maker should be essential as well as free wifi.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Excelsior Hotel? Share your experiences!