“Excellent for what you need.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wolcott Hotel

You added Wolcott Hotel to your Saves list
Wolcott Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4 West 31st Street, Between 5th Avenue & Broadway, New York City, NY 10001   |
Special Rate
Book Direct for Best Rate
Ranked #243 of 454 Hotels in New York City
“Excellent for what you need.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I spent 4 nights in this hotel with my school. The room was bigger than I expected,which is brilliant! I shared a twin room with my friend&the bathroom,was the right size. The whole entire room was clean&suitable for what you need when staying in NY. The maids cleaned & checked our rooms everyday,and they cleaned it up appropriately. The only negative points I have, are that the breakfast is not good enough, They did not supply a wide range of muffins&I think they should supply a wide range of foods. My view wasnt the best but you cannot complain if you are in NY.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Wolcott early December 2012, upon arrival we went straight to our room, I went with one friend and the room was huge and lovely and warm, after walking around New York all day we couldn't wait to get into bed and the bed was so comfy, we slept really well. The bathroom was very small but we didn't mind as its not important.
There was also a huge telly with lots of different channels,
Location was perfect, the Wolcott is opposite the Empire State Building and walking distance to most main attractions. The staff were very friendly and rooms were cleaned everyday even though we were only there for a long weekend. You also have the option of asking for your room not be cleaned. There is no restaurant in the hotel but you are in New York so it means you can go out and explore and try all the nice restaurants and cafes that are near by. If I am lucky enough to go to New York again I would stay at the Wolcott again. And just incase anyone wants to know as different age groups like different things I am 21 and so is my friend, we thought the whole experience was amazing.

• Stayed December 2012
St. Neots, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This small hotel had appealing decor and was situated a stone's throw from 5th avenue and the tourist bus routes.
Our twin room was spacious with an annex and had TV, small en suite which was quite adequate.
My only criticism would be that the whole hotel was overly warm. As the weather outside was extremely cold it may have been adjusted to compensate. There was an aircon unit in the room and we could have had that on if we had chosen.
Although the website did not advertise breakfast there was a terrific array of muffins and tea and coffee in plenty, served in the foyer...very nice.
There were also books and games for those who wanted something to relax with
We were only there for one night and were pleased with our experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Wrexham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel reception, they helped a lot with subway routes and where to eat .
Great location and safe . Lots of places to eat within the hotel location. The rooms were adequate and clean
Thanks

• Stayed February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Having never been in NYC before, i must say that I was initially hugely disappointed with the outdated style of this hotel when I arrived. I was even more disappointed when I saw our bedroom which was a junior suite - i certainly would not like to see a standard size room! Having said that i do understand that we are presently spoiled for chloice for modern hotel accomodation here in Ireland and also that the standard I was expecting is available in NY but a huge prices. In this regard I have to say that the hotel was reasonably priced, in an excellent location, the rooms were spotless and the showers were brilliant.

The staff -
the receptionist that checked us in was chewing gum, looked & sounded disinterested and interupted the check-in process to take a call on what appeared to be her personal mobile-phone.
The night-porter was an absolute gentleman. You knew from the moment you met him that his friendliness and helfulness was genuine and was not the false-stuff that is sometimes laid on in pursuit of tips!!
The concierge was an absolute insult to the entire concierge-profession. If you are staying here in the future avoid any dealings with her at all costs. We booked a private transferto/ from airport through the hotel prior to travelling and infairness the rates were reasonable. The driver who picked us up and brought us to the hotel told us to confirm our pick up for return journey 24 hours prior to departure. The day before our departure we asked the assistant about confirming the transfer and were told there was no need to.
Departure day arrives and what happens - no car arrives. Concierge offered to put us into another car with a couple heading for the airport but didn't want to refund what we had paid for having a private transfer - eventually this agreed and refunded and then she discovered that we all would not fit in the car with luggage etc. She then told us we had not confirmed our departure and it was basically our own fault. She finally agreed to refund the remainder of our fare altogether - but still no car available.
In fairness - the 2 gentlemen receptionists who were on duty were abolutely disgusted by the whole affair and one of them solved the problem by calling his friend who brought us to the airport in a strech limo for less than the original fare!!
This episode certainly left a sour taste in our mouths after what was an otherwise enjoyable stay.
Location - excellent
Price - reasonable
Cleanliness - top class
Decor - old fashioned
Staff - 2 extremes - brilliant & terrible as outlined above.

Room Tip: You better try ask for an upgrade - don't think I would physically fit into a standard room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed in this hotel during the second week of February 2013. The location is probably the biggest and only positive aspect of the Hotel. The staff were okay depending on who was on shift. There was a safe in the room, however I have never seen such a small Ironing Board on my travels! Good job I was on a vacation & not some business trip. As a solo traveller, the room size was okay.
Negatives. Well for a start there is no bar or eating facilities in the hotel, so after a long trans-Atlantic flight, I still had to venture out for something to eat. Though I was on the 7th floor, still got woken up by noisy trucks but maybe that's Manhattan for you.
For anyone travelling from Europe, I would say get a conversion adapter as I had to buy one for $29!
I guess you get what you pay for but next time I think I will spend a bit more & stay somewhere different as there are lots of hotels around Midtown.

Room Tip: For European travellers, buy a conversion adapter before you get there because I had to buy one for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Badgworth, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

When I checked in to the junior suite I was unimpressed, the double bed was up against a wall, the toilet and bathroom was tiny and with old fittings, the room was not good enough A, for the price and B, for 6 nights. I was offered another suite that was opposite the corridor which had a bigger set of two rooms, the bed was still up against the wall on one side, the bathroom was a little bigger and the whole place seemed cleaner, more recently decorated perhaps?

Both rooms looked into the dark recess of the hotel rear.

Service at the reception was mostly helpful and friendly, the Concierge was knowledgeable and pleased to make bookings.

The shuttle bus was good value at $22 one-way to La Guardia, the taxi at $45 is poor value.

Morning layout of 3 varieties of fresh muffins, coffee and water for tea was welcome and good quality, for a simple, complimentary breakfast.

I may look for another hotel next time, but, given a decent room, would book the Wolcott again.

Room Tip: Be prepared to reject the first room if you do not like it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Wolcott Hotel? Share your experiences!