“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wolcott Hotel

You added Wolcott Hotel to your Saves list
Wolcott Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 West 31st Street, Between 5th Avenue & Broadway, New York City, NY 10001 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #243 of 464 Hotels in New York City
St. Neots, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This small hotel had appealing decor and was situated a stone's throw from 5th avenue and the tourist bus routes.
Our twin room was spacious with an annex and had TV, small en suite which was quite adequate.
My only criticism would be that the whole hotel was overly warm. As the weather outside was extremely cold it may have been adjusted to compensate. There was an aircon unit in the room and we could have had that on if we had chosen.
Although the website did not advertise breakfast there was a terrific array of muffins and tea and coffee in plenty, served in the foyer...very nice.
There were also books and games for those who wanted something to relax with
We were only there for one night and were pleased with our experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Wrexham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel reception, they helped a lot with subway routes and where to eat .
Great location and safe . Lots of places to eat within the hotel location. The rooms were adequate and clean
Thanks

• Stayed February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Having never been in NYC before, i must say that I was initially hugely disappointed with the outdated style of this hotel when I arrived. I was even more disappointed when I saw our bedroom which was a junior suite - i certainly would not like to see a standard size room! Having said that i do understand that we are presently spoiled for chloice for modern hotel accomodation here in Ireland and also that the standard I was expecting is available in NY but a huge prices. In this regard I have to say that the hotel was reasonably priced, in an excellent location, the rooms were spotless and the showers were brilliant.

The staff -
the receptionist that checked us in was chewing gum, looked & sounded disinterested and interupted the check-in process to take a call on what appeared to be her personal mobile-phone.
The night-porter was an absolute gentleman. You knew from the moment you met him that his friendliness and helfulness was genuine and was not the false-stuff that is sometimes laid on in pursuit of tips!!
The concierge was an absolute insult to the entire concierge-profession. If you are staying here in the future avoid any dealings with her at all costs. We booked a private transferto/ from airport through the hotel prior to travelling and infairness the rates were reasonable. The driver who picked us up and brought us to the hotel told us to confirm our pick up for return journey 24 hours prior to departure. The day before our departure we asked the assistant about confirming the transfer and were told there was no need to.
Departure day arrives and what happens - no car arrives. Concierge offered to put us into another car with a couple heading for the airport but didn't want to refund what we had paid for having a private transfer - eventually this agreed and refunded and then she discovered that we all would not fit in the car with luggage etc. She then told us we had not confirmed our departure and it was basically our own fault. She finally agreed to refund the remainder of our fare altogether - but still no car available.
In fairness - the 2 gentlemen receptionists who were on duty were abolutely disgusted by the whole affair and one of them solved the problem by calling his friend who brought us to the airport in a strech limo for less than the original fare!!
This episode certainly left a sour taste in our mouths after what was an otherwise enjoyable stay.
Location - excellent
Price - reasonable
Cleanliness - top class
Decor - old fashioned
Staff - 2 extremes - brilliant & terrible as outlined above.

Room Tip: You better try ask for an upgrade - don't think I would physically fit into a standard room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed in this hotel during the second week of February 2013. The location is probably the biggest and only positive aspect of the Hotel. The staff were okay depending on who was on shift. There was a safe in the room, however I have never seen such a small Ironing Board on my travels! Good job I was on a vacation & not some business trip. As a solo traveller, the room size was okay.
Negatives. Well for a start there is no bar or eating facilities in the hotel, so after a long trans-Atlantic flight, I still had to venture out for something to eat. Though I was on the 7th floor, still got woken up by noisy trucks but maybe that's Manhattan for you.
For anyone travelling from Europe, I would say get a conversion adapter as I had to buy one for $29!
I guess you get what you pay for but next time I think I will spend a bit more & stay somewhere different as there are lots of hotels around Midtown.

Room Tip: For European travellers, buy a conversion adapter before you get there because I had to buy one for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Badgworth, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

When I checked in to the junior suite I was unimpressed, the double bed was up against a wall, the toilet and bathroom was tiny and with old fittings, the room was not good enough A, for the price and B, for 6 nights. I was offered another suite that was opposite the corridor which had a bigger set of two rooms, the bed was still up against the wall on one side, the bathroom was a little bigger and the whole place seemed cleaner, more recently decorated perhaps?

Both rooms looked into the dark recess of the hotel rear.

Service at the reception was mostly helpful and friendly, the Concierge was knowledgeable and pleased to make bookings.

The shuttle bus was good value at $22 one-way to La Guardia, the taxi at $45 is poor value.

Morning layout of 3 varieties of fresh muffins, coffee and water for tea was welcome and good quality, for a simple, complimentary breakfast.

I may look for another hotel next time, but, given a decent room, would book the Wolcott again.

Room Tip: Be prepared to reject the first room if you do not like it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Burleigh Heads, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights in September 2012. The location provides great value for money, but for us two nights was long enough. We found the front desk staff generally aloof and not welcoming either at checkin or during our stay. The hotel lobby is indeed impressive! However, our room was smaller than expected and decidedly drab with poor lighting, along with an equally tiny bathroom with luke warm water. On reflection, after traveling many thousands of kilometers to visit New York, I would next time pay a bit more for another hotel instead of staying at the Wolcott.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you are looking for a bed to sleep in around the corner from Macys and within walking distance of Time square this is a good hotel. Absolutely no frills, no coffee maker in room or restaurant attached. Very noisy street traffic and banging boiler all hours of day and night! I have been to NYC many times and this is probably the most basic hotel I have stayed in. Staff not very friendly concierge positively rude and unhelpful. Quite drab and could do with some updating. Have stayed in much better for the same money.

Room Tip: The higher the better - street noise a problem
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wolcott Hotel? Share your experiences!