“One of the best italian joints in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Destino

Destino
891 1st Ave, New York City, NY 10022-8009 (Manhattan)
212-751-0700
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 50th Street
Transit: Lexington and 53rd Street Station: E or 6 Train
Robbinsville, New Jersey
“One of the best italian joints in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Been to Destino a million times and have never had anything but an awesome meal! Last time I was there, I had the meatballs for an app, and anyone who has ever been to Destino knows that the meatballs are Awesome! For dinner I had a whole wheat pasta in oil and garlic with grilled chicken, which was tremendous. I ate at the bar and the bartender was great and the rest of the staff was awesome as usual!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
“Comfortable and relaxing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

My visit to Distino was on November seventh. We were greeted with a smile by the hostess. the reservation was made for 7:30 and we were seated immediately. The waiter was very attentive. I ordered the veal parmesan it was cooked to perfection. It was a fine experience, next time I am in New York I will vist them again

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“stunned by the positive reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I can not believe anyone left a positive review of this place. From the time we were seated until we left it was comical how awful the experience we had Destino. We were there at least 20 minutes before they came and slapped down some water and three small pieces of bruschetta. The bruschetta had entirely too much garlic to really be enjoyed.It was about another 20 mins before we saw the waiter again (thankfully we were near the waiter station so we were able to help ourselves to water refills). The waiter was rude and rolled his eyes when we let him know he misheard one of our orders and had to write it down again ( the horror this man faced having to write broccoli rabe with linguini rather than broccoli rabe sauteed). After placing my order he snatched the menu out of my hand before leaving. Another 30 mins later we saw our appetizers and wine. Once again being near the waiter station helped since we were able to get our own silverware, salt, pepper and some more water. The appetizers (their sampler) was tasteless except for the grilled shrimp and nowhere enough to justify 15 dollars.

As we waited for the entrees we noticed other tables had bread. We stopped another waiter who brought us some 10 minutes later and said they were all out but he found the last batch for us. The only decent part of the menu was the rosemary infused oil at the table.

30 more minutes and we see our entree. Our waiter explained then that they ran out of penne pasta as he slammed my plate down. Would have been nice if they asked what i wanted as a substitute rather than assuming i would want ziti. He also spilled the water as he finally poured some and left ice cubes on the table. I asked him for the check at this point so we could, eat, pay and get our of there. Of course we were finished eating and never saw the check. Flagged down the hostess who bought us a check that was 3 times what it was supposed to be.

The meals were disappointing. They actually undercooked my pasta, the broccoli rabe was slop and the seafood dish wash small and had no flavor. It was so bad and uneventful i dint even have words to describe how bland it was.

The atmosphere was awful as it was loud and we could not even hear ourselves talk. The painting on the ceiling seemed almost childish when you had over two and a half hours of being ignored by wait staff to study the painting.

The staff was rude and inattentive. We had to get our own silverware, salt, pepper and water.

The prices were ridiculous for food portions that were small. I can live pricey food if it was palatable, this food was just slop thrown together.

The overall experience of the rude, mistake-prone and inattentive staff and bland food made me to something i haven't done in a long time, i left a $1.21for the tip as i wanted to pay in cash and not even wait for change. I am a consistent 20-25% tipper but this staff did not even warrant the $1.21 i left.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Used to be better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I've always had a reliable if not great meal here, but lately they have gone downhill. The service was terrible. They were unable to get basic Italian-American dishes such as chicken francese and marsala right. The portions especially as compared to the price, were extremely small with I'd say not more than 3 ounces of chicken on the plate, along with ONE floret of broccoli and one wedge of a potato on the plate. My husband needed to stop for a slice of pizza on our way home and the meal was nearly $300!!! There are better choices along first avenue and no need to waste time and money here.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Average Italian restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The food was average. Portions could have been larger especially the vegetables. Restaurant was busy as it was a Friday night. Noise level tolerable. Some of the staff was not knowledgeable about the specials.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere