“Good food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melba's

Melba's
300 W 114th St, New York City, NY 10026 (Harlem)
(212) 864-7777
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Harlem
“Good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Went to Melba's for dinner recently and was not disappointed...the food was very good, the ambiance warm and inviting... Very friendly ( tho a but slow ) service.... Would definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
“Very disappointed in Melba's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Upon arriving in Harlem, Melba's was our first stop. We arrived during their brunch, my wife ordered the fried catfish with home fried and I ordered an omelet. My wife's catfish was overcooked, small and tough and too top it she only received one filet. My omelet was bland and was missing all the veggies I ordered with it. Our waiter was a total separate issue. Maybe we caught Melba's at a bad time but this place by far was the worst part of our stay in New York City.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Delicious, modern soul food in an loungey setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've been to Melba's several times. They are known for their fried chicken and waffle, which is delicious, but I prefer their glazed short ribs, which are tender and delicious. Their mac and cheese is divine. Their desserts are moist and good; their red velvet cake is great but untraditional (the frosting is lemony).

The atmosphere is nice, upscale. It's a good place for dates or special events. We love going here for birthday dinners. The soundtrack is often slow R and B, which is nice to dine to! It can get a little loud, because it's usually packed and it's a small place.

I knocked off a star for two things: service can be really slow, and not just in the kitchen, which I would understand for homemade. Service is slow for even getting drinks--I've waited 15 minutes for a glass of wine! The other negative is that the wine list is sparse and not great, and the drinks, while potent, are pretty pricey.

It's been here a while, unlike all the upstarts on this stretch of Frederick Douglass!, most of which I haven't tried, and has definitely established its menu and brand. You will definitely enjoy your time!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Overprised soulfood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was in Melba's several years ago, before Frederic Douglas Avenue changed and turned up-side down. While I enjoyed dim lights and cozy atmosphere, soul food and cocktails- I have to say that the service was slow at the time (maybe they improved in the meantime) and the check at the end was too high....
There are other places in Harlem (like Spoonbread Too) where you can get the good soul- food for more affordable price and faster service.
But on the other hand there is a lounge-y atmosphere of Melba's what makes her more attractive destination for the soul-food night-outing :)

Visited November 2011
New York,NY
“Tuesdays are the night to go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Best fried catfish in NYC. Go on Tuesdays. Live entertainment of RnB. Better make a reservation. Grown and sexy atmosphere. Tuesdays seem to draw celebrities. Small and intimate with local Harlem flavor.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Melba's? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Melba's, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.