“Best breakfast I've had in a long time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 2nd Avenue Deli

2nd Avenue Deli
162 East 33rd Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)
212-689-9000
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Kosher
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Miami, Florida, United States
“Best breakfast I've had in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

we ordered the challah french toast, Jewish penicillin and macaroni salad. Forget it. I'm in heaven. Only wish we loved closer so that I could go every weekend. upon sitting you get two different kinds of pickles and a bowl of cabbage salad. Our waiter was funny and friendly. I'm honestly surprised we got a seat. Go early. Go hungry. Take me with you.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wheaton, Illinois
“Deli Delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I'm not Jewish and I'm from Chicago, so I have two strikes against me....but I know good, honest food and this is what I believe a NY Deli should be. I've eaten at the "NY tourist trap delis" and I'm never going back. Line to get in, ambivalent service, disgusting bathrooms and cash only dining at one. Shame, shame.
The pricing is the same everywhere- about $16.00 for a hot pastrami sandwich. However, this deli is bright, clean and inviting. The restrooms are clean and updated. The tables are close together but you are not sandwiched in at tables like cattle to eat. The service is pleasant and friendly. They actually care if you are enjoying your meal. They accept credit cards, which is always nice, if needed. The food is delicious! We ate at the 33rd St. location.
My husband and I had lunch here on a Monday afternoon. Hot pastrami for me and brisket for him. Both delicious and generous. We shared a potato salad. I still think mine is better but this was very good :). Complimentary oil and vinegar slaw at the table when we were seated along with the expected half-sour and dill pickles. I don't know if it was the owner, but a lovely gentleman who was obviously "management " stopped by our table to chat and see if our meal was satisfactory. Unexpected surprise given my prior deli experiences. I will be back to take on their liver wurst sandwich! That will be the true test! I noticed some patrons dining on the matzah ball soup and a half sandwich. Another good option since the sandwiches have so much meat in them.

Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“deli delights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is Manhattan's most famous deli and totally kosher. Both locations -- at 33rd Street and1442 First Avenue (uptown), offer fantastic smoked meat sandwiches, mouth watering European soups, and classic side dishes such as new and full-sour dills (free) and coleslaw (free) and a soda pop shot at the end of the meal to refresh the mouth and palate (free).

Don't be put off by the menu prices of the sandwiches ($15 or more) as all the above freebees mean nothing more needs to be ordered for a filling meal.

And oh how huge the meat sandwiches are!!! And so light and thinly cut that the meat melts in your mouth!

I know of one regular who finds half the sandwich and free side orders enough for a fillingt lunch, and takes the other half to delight his wife or himself as the main course for supper!

The atmosphere in this busy hangout is traditional, with pictures of the owner and famous customers lining the walls. We ended up sitting under Jerry Seinfeld!

And they are open from 6:00 a.m. to midnight weekdays and till the wee hours on weekends!!!

PS: Kosher meals for Shabbat can be arranged, while many non-Jews love this place as well.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Better to dine in than take out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I always do the 2nd Ave Deli when in NY. Brings me back to my Kosher Deli NY roots. The food is always plentiful and wonderful and 'grandmas' recipes. This time we did a take out order and waited 1.5 hours for delivery and that was WITH a $10.00 delivery charge.

I would eat here again, but I would not do take out / delivery again. The service on that end is just horrible.

The food is cold by they time you get it and it's just not the same as being in the restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reno, Nevada
“best deli in US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

wow, talk about history mixed with chopped liver! great place, heard they closed due to rent/land lord issues, but memories of this great establishment will always stay in our colinaric heart....

Visited September 2012