“Definitely Try!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #763 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 58th Street
Transit: 4,5,6, N,R, W to 59th Street/ Lexington, M15 to 57th + 1st
Description: Our flagship location opened its doors on First Avenue in 1984 and was bestowed with a glowing, two-star review from The New York Times. From the moment you arrive, old world charm permeates your dining experience through authentic Mexican colors and rustic folk art. Traditional amate gods greet you at the front entrance and brightly colored papel picado hangs from the ceiling. Corn tortillas are made on site and an exposition grill further seduces your senses. With its warm ambiance and outstanding cuisine, this Rosa Mexicano location has remained a perennial New York favorite for over 20 years.
Daytona Beach Shores
“Definitely Try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was a little skeptical about this place because I was looking for AUTHENTIC Mexican food however after speaking to several locals they all said "there is no AUTHENTIC" Mexican place in NYC. But they did recommend this place. I absolutely loved it. It wasn't authentic but is was good. The guacamole was way over priced. This is what they are known for but next time I will pass because I felt it tasted just like any other restaurants gauc. I had the enchiladas and they were great! Ambiance was beautiful. Suitable for dates, families with kids or even a girls brunch.

Visited May 2013

new york
“LOVED IT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I visited this restaurant after reading all the great reviews about it and i must say that i am so glad that i went. Their food was AMAZING!! they truly have the BEST GUACAMOLE ever!! i had the steak and it was DELICIOUS. My fiancee had the duck taco and he LOVED them! we had the tres leche for dessert and it was YUMMY! our server ROB was FANTASTIC! He was kind, friendly and very attentive. It was indeed one of the best night ever. We will be going back!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Couldn't Be Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We went to the Rosa Mexicano at Union Square for lunch on Mother's Day. I chose it because my wife had loved it on two prior visits. It was perfect. The food, the service and the ambiance were worth even the terrible traffic from Long Island to Manhattan. You can't miss if you start off with Margaritas and their guacamole prepared at the table. My wife had salmon that she raved about, and she's very choosy about her seafood. Our daughter and I both had the carne asado and the beef was really tender, The crusted cheese underneath was a nice surprise. Our son-in-law had braised short ribs which were also very tender, though he decided he really prefers short ribs the old fashioned way. The flan for dessert was delicious. Rosa Mexicano is a bit pricey, though the special brunch menu looked like a good value. But we decided to go for the regular menu since the choices were irresistible. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant without being intrusive. My wife also liked the colorful decor. So, guys, if you want to score points on your anniversary, the wife's birthday or Mother's Day, Rosa Mexicano is a good choice.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Nanuet, New York
“Good Food, A bit Pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

First the address for this location is completely wrong. Tripadvisor combined two different locations. I visited the Union Square location which we all know is nowhere near 58th street but it is on 9 E 18th street.

The food was good, I have had much better Mexican food at smaller mom and pop Mexican restaurants that cater strictly to the Mexican community in New York; and it goes without saying that even the best Mexican food in New York would only be mediocre if the restaurant was located in California. With that said, the food is acceptable, the décor is magnificent and it caters to mostly white folks and tourists who feel glad that the waiters speak English unlike the waiters in those much better Mexican restaurants who force you to speak Spanish.

The service was generally o.k. although the waitress did seem to get annoyed at me when I asked her what one of the beverages was. They offer a type of fruit drink with some made up name and they expect you to know what that is. Also we were never offered coffee or dessert.

In conclusion the ambiance and décor make it a good place to take a date as long as she is not Mexican. The guacamole is good but overpriced, and to be honest my wife's guacamole is much better, but since you're not invited to my house then I can recommend the guacamole and drinks. You'll overpay a bit, but so what, it's New York, get used to it.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
new york
“Fun spacious Mexican near Union Sq”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Got an early resv quickly, and this location is newer than Lincoln Center. Food and drinks were great!

• Visited March 2013