“Great, authentic sushi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ushi Wakamaru

Ushi Wakamaru
136 W Houston St, New York City, NY 10012 (Greenwich Village)
(212) 228-4181
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
Warrenton, Virginia
“Great, authentic sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I don't agree with the negative reviews.

I have never had sushi in Japan, but there were certainly a lot of Japanese people in the restaurant and they were raving.

I ordered sashimi and sushi omakase. I can't wait to take my entire family here. Delicious.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Turkish first
Warrenton, Virginia
“Excellent in every way.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

4.5 Stars for me. I ordered Omakase: I had the restaurant choose my appetizer and a sushi/sashimi combo. I also had a seaweed salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio. It was delicious, service was perfect The restaurant only has 7 tables and 12 seats at the sushi bar. This is definitely the best sushi I have ever had.

My rice was not warm and I did have the miso glazed cod. It was sweet, but I did not think overly so, and it was definitely not fishy -- in fact, I was aware of how "not fishy" the foot was. The sushi is soft as butter -- delectable. The presentation was very nice and I also loved the seaweed salad.

Uptown was a zoo, so it was nice to be downtown away from all the mayhem. You can take any D train downtown, get off at West 4th. Go towards West 3rd when you come up from underground in the direction of Bleecker. Take a left on W. Housten, and the restaurant is right there. It is easy to miss.

My dinner cost $103 + tip. The omakase costs more per person. You can order a la carte for less.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, Ireland
“Top class sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by a Japanese friend who lives in New York and who is a regular customer. He reserved a place for us at the counter in front of Hideo-san, the master.
The makase set ($100 per person) went on for ages, each piece more divine than the last. Perhaps the rice is a little too warm. We are Japanese speakers so we got to chat to Hideo-san the whole evening. In all a fabulous experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“MEDIOCRE AT BEST!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Wow, we were so disappointed in this restaurant! This restaurant is on the top list of many best sushi restaurants in New York. I think Time Out magazine has it as number one. My husband and I love sushi and enjoy many top sushi places in Los Angeles on a regular basis. I have also been to many excellent sushi restaurants in Tokyo and other cities in Japan. We were staying in the area and had to try this one based on what we read. It was tricky for our hotel to even get us a reservation that night but we got in. I will start with the positive and say that the service was good. Otherwise, this sushi was borderline bad. The miso glazed cod was overly sweet and fishy smelling. In fact, most of the sushi we ordered was fishy! My husband ordered a roll where the rice was actually very warm on the fish. I mean above body temperature and that is not what you want with sushi. The seaweed salad was quite nice but obviously most people go to sushi restaurants for the fish.The low ceiling and lack of ambiance didn't enhance our dining experience. I feel that this is the type of restaurants that has a great publicist but doesn't deserve the accolades because this sushi is mediocre at best.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Very nice meal, very fresh sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had a great meal here and thought I found my favorite sushi place, until I found another. That said, I would gladly go back here. The menu is fairly traditional in terms of offering (from a Japanese perspective - I would not go here if you are a spicy tuna roll person), but it is traditional in a good way. I liked it better than Sushi Yasuda

Visited January 2013