“Old World Italian but cutting corners!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaetana's

Gaetana's
143 Christopher St, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)
(212) 675-3913
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Old World Italian but cutting corners!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Went there with a Living Social coupon with no restrictions only to find out that after the coupon had been put out to the public, they now had a "special menu" that you were limited to. I chose them for gnocchi which was not offered on the "special menu". They also added on gratuity to the bill which was NOT stated on the coupon either. Two strikes for a bait and switch. This was lousy b/c service was not so good since they were busy getting a huge catering order ready and decided it was more important than cooking food for the people there. This I can understand but hey, offer a glass of wine or something on the house while we wait, right? Nope. Then add 18% onto our bill. Boo. Regardless, food was decent and atmosphere was old world Italian with Sinatra plastering the walls and on "repeat" in the CD player.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

NYC
“Killer Chicken Marsala, Great Service, Authentic Italian Family Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The place doesn't look all that much from the outside but be sure not to judge a book by its cover: Warm welcoming smiles of Frank and Michelle make a difference. They're always happy to help you find the right dish or cocktail for you and will happily let you sample, and don't care if you change your mind. Cocktails from the bar are pretty good, too.
THE CHICKEN MARSALA IS TO KILL FOR but all of their other stuff is superior basic Italian cooking. Make sure to try Tiramisu. Just Perfect.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Very poor management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We went to the restaurant on Friday November 18th with a Living Social Voucher that we had purchased. We made the reservation mentioning the voucher with Living Social a week prior to our visit to the restaurant. When we got there the place was packed so we told the man at the door that we had a reservation for two from living social and he kind of brushed us off so I though he didn't understand me for the restaurant was pretty noisy so I told him again and again he kind of told us that he'd get around to us in a few minutes as soon as a table would be free. I have to mention that the we did get excellent service and that the food and ambience is very good, and it's a place I would've loved to go back time and time again if it wasn't from the treatment we got at the end of the meal. We presented our voucher when we got the check and to our surprise they didn't want to honor it. We explained to the manager and his sister, that we mentioned the voucher at the time of the reservation as well as when we got at the door but that the guy wasn't paying attention to us even though we had mentioned it twice. Obliviously they believe him and not us!!
We had drinks prior to the meal, we ordered a bottle of wine and all, so it wasn't as if they had the bad end of the stick here! No instead they argued with us in front of all their customers, the sister followed us outside to the sidewalk asking us to come back another night and that her brother wasn't going to be there so she would make it up to us by buying us a bottle of wine. The point to this story is that the voucher was good for a three course meal (which I had but my spouse only had a two course meal) and that they have a special menu (with very restricted choices) for that voucher (which is not mentioned anywhere of course on the voucher nor the fine print). So bottom line is, I go the NY every month and I'm always looking for a great place to go and have a great meal where it's not too "touristy" and I though I had hit the jackpot with this place, for it seems that the poor management at the restaurant (which is surprising since it's a family owned restaurant) just killed the mood. It's very sad 'cause althrough the meal and the evening me and my husband were saying how much we loved the place and the food and that we would be back many times. I guess we'll cross this one of our list and move on. BTW Living Social did refund everything to us. So the joke on Geatana's who lost a good and "would be" loyal customer. They must of though the out-of-towners never go back or that we are not returning business, but they guessed wrong!! Plus I wil never mentioned that place to anyone who ask about good spots in NY.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Balcony”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011 via mobile

Sit in the balcony, good atmosphere, good wine. The senior barman is very sympathetic.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Awful - Worst Dining Experience Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Well what can I say - the worst dining experience ever! The staff were rude and the service appalling. My main course arrived in 2 stages and I had to keep asking the waitress when the missing part of dinner would be arriving. The y would not serve the bread until the main meal arrived as they said too many people have a drink and the bread and then leave - I am not surprised when having had a first had experience of this restaurant! All the portions differed some tables had larger meals than others and when we complained we met with a short, sharp response. They charged us 20% service charge for a table of 5 which apparently we have found is legally not correct and when we mentioned very politely that we wished to not pay this the staff immediately caused a scene in the restaurant shouting and pointing fingers at us saying they could not change the bill as this is generated by the computer. In short they were very rude, unhelpful and the service totally appalling. This is one restaurant I do not recommend to anyone - avoid if you have the choice.

• Visited July 2011