“Drinks the size of your head” 4 of 5 stars

212-304-0140
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mamajuana Cafe and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,608 of 11,186 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Tapas
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Brooklyn, New York
“Drinks the size of your head”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The food and drinks were very good. I had a Melon Sangria that was in a melon. It was so tasty but pricey. We ordered appetizers. The presentation was very artistic and pretty. I really like the cheese and guava empenadas. I went to the Woodside, Queens location on a Thursday. We were the only people there so that staff was super attentive. It was a good time but once again it was pricey. Their signature rum is also very tasty.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Perspective of a local”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Pretty much everyone I know eats and parties at this location quite frequently. I come here for the lounge which is after 12 a.m. After the chairs and the food is cleared away it becomes a really pumping spot. There are hookahs available to order as well as bottle service for the tables. My friends and I ordered a few pitchers of Sangria which were decent tasting(like a 7 out of ten). The music was loud and ranged from Merengue, salsa, bachata, house and hip hop. There is also no cover.

• Visited December 2012
Bronx, New York
“Now called Taina Cafe and Bar.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Had a nice time here with friends. Waiters were very attentive! made sure we had our cups filled with water. Food was good. I had the chicken and chorizo paella. The chicken was a lil dry but other than that it was good. My other friends had the pernil which they loved, those who had the pork chops did not enjoy it because it was dry. All in all i liked the food but loved the decor, the ambiance and the servers attention.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Nice and Authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Dining at this restaurant for the first time was a pleasurable experience. Food was excellent and plentiful, staff was accommodating and friendly. The ambiance was nice.

I would definitely recommend if you are interested in authentic Dominican food.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We ate at Mamajuana on East 48th Street ... NEVER AGAIN .... This is without a doubt if not "the" worst dining experience we've ever had, it rates right at the top of Never Again! Our table was not ready when we arrived; they said a few minutes, was at least 30. We got One glass of water, never came and filled the glasses. Our drinks were ok, not spectacular. The waiter took our appetizer order, they arrived a good 15-20 minutes later. We had the beef, chicken and chorizo sticks, there was no chorizo, and they were just ok, the guac was good, but very few chips and my son ordered a plaintain with cod, eh .. we then waited over an hour for our entrees. At that point, no one wanted to be bothered. The hostesss did come by after about 45 minutes when she finally noticed how agitated we were. My son took his chicken home, he had the ckn relleno, he said it was ok, not great, I had the fillete pescado, which I think I would have enjoyed had I not been so aggravated at that point; my husband's grilled sea bass was just ok, they never brought the sauce. My other son had the churasco and he was the only one who seemed to like his dinner. The fish my husband ordered came with nothing, just a piece of fish, he had to pay for rice and beans to go with it!! are you kidding me? No vegetables, tons of hard mashed potatos or fries. Never again. And to top it all off, they charged us for something we hadn't ordered and they had the nerve to put a 20% service fee on the bill, without asking!!! This is normal for large groups, not couples or parties of 4 ... unbelievable!

• Visited May 2012