“Fantastic experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Momofuku Ko

Momofuku Ko
8 Extra Place, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)
(212) 203-8095
Neighborhood: East Village
Oslo, Norway
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Had my first dinner at Momofuku Ko last week and really enjoyed the experience.
Not only was the food and atmosphere just brilliant, but being able to actually watch the chefs perform their art of cooking right in front of me was as seeing Picasso paint or Dylan compose a song in real time.
The chefs were interested in us as guests and seemed sincerely honoured by us being there.

Even if I live in Norway and therefor have some travelling to do to get there I am certain I will come back to Momofuku Ko again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
Palo Alto, CA
“An Interesting Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We enjoyed dinner here. The number of courses may vary but the night we were there included about 12. Most courses are about 3 or 4 bites each. Everything ranged from very good to exquisite. Standout courses included the famous shaved foie gras course and a gently cooked halibut that just melted in the mouth. The 48 hour braised and then deep-fried short rib was very good, but not as fantastic as it sounded. We took a very nice bottle of wine and paid the corkage fee. There was no issue with bringing in wine. IMHO, the food warrants 3 Michelin stars; however, it isn't true fine dining because neither the service nor ambience are geared to that level. Everyone sits on backless padded stools at the counter. It's fascinating and fun to watch the level of care and detail the chefs put into each dish. The staff is almost 100% chefs who are busy cooking so you can't expect attentive service for every need. I was surprised to see several couples attempt to walk in when there are only 12 seats. Going to the web site to make a reservation is essential. Some open up randomly. Most are made 7 days in advance 10am EST for dinner or 14 days in advance for lunch. When I made our reservation, that night's dinner filled up within 2 minutes. There are other more true 3* dining experiences around the $125 dinner price point but this is a rather unique combination of high-end food, chef interaction and casual ambiance.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sydney
“Food is delicious, service so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

To food, presentation, innovation is outstanding. It wouldn't hurt the service staff to smile a little. It looked like they'd all broken up with their girlfriend - very morose. It put a downer on the night as we felt we were getting in the way of their mourning. We were a party of 3 on a Tuesday night. The wine list is ok.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very trendy, expensive, cool, most dishes just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Very happy we got to try this place and maybe it has been over hyped. But wasnt as impressed overall as i was expecting. A couple of great dishes but most were just good enuff but made to sound cool. Use some great produce and some of the cooking/presentation is different in a good way Funky little place, most staff thought they were too cool for school but one of the cooks was great. Happy our friends managed to get us in to try a couple of great dishes but most of it was just avg, am sure they can lift there game.

Dover, Delaware
“Still trying to comprehend everything I ate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was lucky enough to snag four seats here on a Saturday night and I was not disappointed. I would not call myself a foodie because I'm not pretentious about food, I just enjoy it.

We had ten set dishes as well as 3 amuses and a drink the chef concocted. Every dish was amazing and different, but two stood out above all. One was a roasted halibut with an herb salad of basil, mint, and myoga. It was on top of a corn puree with fried crispy corn. The second was a 48-hour braised beef short rib that was thrown in the deep fryer to get a crust. This was served on top of some sauteed greens with pickled onions. I don't think I'll ever be able to get those tastes out of my head.

Visited August 2012