“Just great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Carlos Hotel

You added San Carlos Hotel to your Saves list
San Carlos Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #51 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Criciuma, SC
“Just great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful 4-night stay at San Calos Hotel, NY. The location is good for me, the room was very clean and comfortable. All employees were kind and helpful. The property offers a complimentary continental breakfast, which is very good. WiFi is also complimentary and works perfectly well. The rates charged are absolutely compatible with the services offered. Nice choice for a break in Manhattan. We´ll definitely stay there again next time in the city that never sleeps.

Room Tip: Try the Executive Suites. They´re awesome!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

this was a really nice hotel and in a good area. it was a quiet road and we had a back room which was a nice room but no view, spacious for the 4 of us, with microwave and fridge. breakfast was ok and it filled us up. we would take fruit and danish pasties with us to eat later on. there was nice restaurants in the area epecially if you turn right when coming out of the hotel. Staff were very polite and kept our luggage for us as we had a late flight and even orgnaised us a private taxi to the airport which cost $60. not bad between the 4 of us and we left this hotel at 3.30pm and arrived exactly at 4.30 at JFK. as there were 4 of us we used the yellow cabs to get about and that cost around $10 and we would give $2 tip. still very cheap. the hotel provided umbrellas which was good as we didnt bring ours.

Room Tip: even we didnt have agood view, didnt bother us as we left the hotel 9 in the morning and returned la...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 5 day stay here and cannot praise it too highly. Conveniently placed about 5 minutes walk from Lexington Avenue subway on either E 51st or 53rd Street. Everything you could want in a hotel room is there - tea/coffee making facilities, microwave (together with crockery and cutlery), iron and ironing board, trouser press, hair dryer. TV, clock radio and - a big bonus - lots of sockets so you can charge all your gadgets at the same time! Free wi-fi as well. The room was large, with two queen beds and the most comfortable mattress I have ever had in a hotel. It was at the back of the hotel and therefore had no view, but also had NO traffic noise. In fact, once in the room there was no noise at all. Plenty of pastries, muffins, yoghurt etc. for breakfast. If I return to New York in the future I would have no hesitation in staying at the San Carlos again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
West Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

While the hotel itself is in good condition, the front-desk service is among the poorest I have ever experienced. When I arrived at 3:30 PM on Wednesday, June 4, the young male clerk was unwilling to accommodate my previous request for a room on a high-floor overlooking 50th Street. I had made my reservation on the hotel's website - and prepaid ( a big mistake)! Finally, he did offer me a smoking room; but, since I have never smoked, I didn't think I should begin that night. My experience went from bad to worse: Once inside the room, my phone had no connection to the internet!!! The clerk offered to send up an engineer, but not to change my room. At 9:00 PM I received a call from the hotel: Seems they had located a front-facing room! AVOID!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JanetM150, Director of Sales at San Carlos Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment. We always appreciate our guest's feedback and look to improve upon our services from all reviews.
I hope to be able to clarify any misunderstanding that may have occurred. I have reviewed your reservation and do see a guest comment noting a request for a high floor facing 50th St. Please note, comments are on a "request basis" and not confirmed. We always strive to do our best to accommodate guest requests, but there are times when it is beyond our control. The hotel was completely sold out and since most accommodations facing the front are suites, the room type (deluxe queen or king room) you confirmed was not available facing 50th Street. You were offered a high floor facing the front, but it was a smoking room which understandably, as a non-smoker, you declined. The room you accepted was the room type you confirmed. We tried to check the WIFI connection upon receiving your comment that it was not working, but you had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. We subsequently checked the WIFI service and found no evident problem. Occasionally, there are weak connections with individual devices. Based on your concerns and comments, our Assistant Manager stayed alert to any accommodation changes, and when a cancellation arrived that evening, he contacted you immediately to ask if you would like to change rooms to an "upgraded" Junior Suite at no additional expense. He also offered to facilitate the move for you, which you opted to decline.
We pride ourselves on the usual fine service we provide to our guests as indicated in the numerous excellent comments on TripAdvisor.
Again, I hope you will accept our apologies for any inconvenience experienced.

Janet Materi
Director of Sales
Vejle, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I booked a suite with a king size bed and a sofa bed for my two boys. The room was huge! It included a little kitchenette, a desk, and the sofa space. I felt I was not cramped with my two boys in one room. Service is awesome. For example, the clerk at the desk did a magic trick for my boys. Also when I called for help with the safe and they came literally within one minute of my putting the phone headset down. They don't have an ice machine on the floor but as soon as you call, you can expect a knock on the door with an ice bucket within minutes. Wow! A definite come back with the family,

Room Tip: I believe I booked on travelocity for a lower rate. My room was on the 3rd floor but I can't co...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We loved staying at the San Carlos. The location was great, staff were always so friendly and it was a lovely, quiet base to come back to after a long day of sightseeing. Breakfast was fine, and even though it was busy most mornings, we still managed to get a table each time. The rooms were great for our family of five, and very affordable for New York City. Would stay here again when in New York.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Only good things I have to say about this hotel - great location, courteous and professional service, room very large and comfortable, very comfortable beds, and a very good shower.
What bothered me most in this hotel was the breakfast which included hot and cold drinks and carbohydrates. There were not eggs and vegetables at breakfast, but I guess it's some kind of standard in the city hotels.
Really bothered me that submitted the breakfast for disposables ..... it's very environmentally unfriendly.
If you want a small and comfortable hotel, excellent environment in the city, close to almost anywhere a small distance from the subway, then this is for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the main street.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to San Carlos Hotel? Share your experiences!