“Great hotel, good room sizes and nice staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Carlos Hotel

Save Saved
You added San Carlos Hotel to your Saves list
San Carlos Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #40 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, good room sizes and nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed in San Carlos for 3 nights and had a really good sized quad room. The hotel is in a great location close to popular subway lines and within walking distance of the Rock and Gran Central. We had breakfast with our package which was basic but all good. Staff were great too and let us have our room for an extra hour or so on the last day.

Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
wigston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

stayed in the hotel for 6 days on a family special birthday trip with wife and daughters (18th and 21st)
free upgrade to large adjoining rooms 3 tv's two kitchens two bathrooms and a lounge.
very central for visiting major sites rockefeller 7 min walk.
rooms very clean and quite spacious.
excellent free complimentary continental break fast.
excellent diner straight across from hotel
would recommend and would return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Divonne-les-Bains, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is my second visit to the San Carlos and I di request the same room at the back in order to have a quiet room. Staff were attentive, efficient and friendly again, I did sleep well. The room was very spacious ( king size bedrooms are bigger)- no view as it was at the back but that was not an issue for me , though next time I will request a room on a higher floor for more light.
The room has the usual coffee machine etc and I request a kettle so I could make tea, which was delivered very quickly.
Breakfast is OK - nothing to write home about but a selection of breads and pasties, yoghurt etc. A bowl of large apples is provided but to be honest, some other fruit would be a good addition.
I can recommend the hotel for good value, good night's sleep and service.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter but lower floors are also quite dark
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I ended up staying at the San Carlos by accident. I had stayed at the Affinia 50 for a few days and I wanted to extend my stay in NYC. I booked a room at the San Carlos and OMG what a difference!! Wifi and unlimited Breakfast were included (Very happy). Also, the rooms were extremely clean with lots of amenities...bathrobe, microwave, wine glasses, water bottles; it sounds silly to mention those items, but where I was staying previously had NONE of them. I had a deluxe room with a king size bed; it was absolutely beautiful/luxurious and the pictures don't make it justice. Also, since I bought my departure ticket during my last day in NYC, I was able to print my tickets free at the Business Center (2nd floor). I've stayed at many hotels in NYC, and I'm definitely planning to come to the San Carlos. The Staff were very friendly and helpful; they let me checked-in at 7am WITHOUT having to pay any extras fees (the Affinia made me pay $100 for checking in at 1pm!). I love the San Carlos and I highly recommend them. I'm definitely coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel many years ago and had a great experience then, we returned this week to find it was a good as ever. The location is perfect, 3 blocks from 5th Avenue. The room clean, quiet and comfortable, a real haven in a busy trip. Breakfast good and plentiful. The staff were, without exception, helpful, charming and friendly. Very happy to recommend

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights including New Year's Eve. There was free wifi which was a decent speed, the room was clean and spacious and it was at a good location. The weather was freezing and below freezing on a couple of days there so we caught a taxi to and from the hotel some days as walking in minus 16 degrees Celsius wasn't pleasant, in warmer weather this wouldn't have been an issue.
The staff at the from desk were lovely but some staff were more helpful than others. I wanted to get my dress dry cleaned and was told by night staff I had to take it down the road but in the morning when I brought it downstairs front desk said they'd do it for me; a very small matter but the hotel organising it saved me time!
All in all, a good experience :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at the San Carlos during Christmas which is probably one of the busiest times of the year in NYC. The first impression of the hotel was the warmth and friendliness of the staff, from the bell hop to front desk! Check in quick and easy. Walking distance to Rockefeller plaza, subway and more. The maid service was wonderful and the hotel (not just our room) was impeccably clean at all times. there were a couple of times when we requested extra soap or towels, within 3-4 minutes of calling down to front desk, we had what we requested. The rooms are a bit larger than a standard hotel room and two queen beds makingit feel a little more roomy. Fridge and microwave in room and everything in good working order and very clean. Breakfast was continental and included mostly breads, and breakfast pastries, cereals, apple or bananas and yogurt. Also bagels on just a couple of days, simple and quick breakfast option. My favorite was the hot milk in the carafe each morning. I put a lot of milk in my coffee and tea and most hotels only have the chilled milk for cereals, not hot milk so this was a pleasant bonus. A couple of days the breakfast room was full, but you didnt have to wait more than a few minutes for a table we usually got there befor 8 and no wait, but after 8:30-9, it got very busy. There is also a nice breakfast diner directly across the hotel, but it is a bit pricey as is most everything in the city! But convenient if you want to have eggs or pancakes or more substantial breakfast. Did I mention how nice and courteous the staff were? The Aveda shampoo and conditioner were sooo nice and shower was very hot and wonderful in the cold weather. The hotel car service is convenient and prompt in picking up and dropping at airport. Overall excellent service, great location and very very clean!! Definitely would stay here again!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to San Carlos Hotel? Share your experiences!