“Best Hotel in Midtown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Carlos Hotel

You added San Carlos Hotel to your Saves list
San Carlos Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #48 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Alexandria, Virginia
“Best Hotel in Midtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I ended up staying at the San Carlos by accident. I had stayed at the Affinia 50 for a few days and I wanted to extend my stay in NYC. I booked a room at the San Carlos and OMG what a difference!! Wifi and unlimited Breakfast were included (Very happy). Also, the rooms were extremely clean with lots of amenities...bathrobe, microwave, wine glasses, water bottles; it sounds silly to mention those items, but where I was staying previously had NONE of them. I had a deluxe room with a king size bed; it was absolutely beautiful/luxurious and the pictures don't make it justice. Also, since I bought my departure ticket during my last day in NYC, I was able to print my tickets free at the Business Center (2nd floor). I've stayed at many hotels in NYC, and I'm definitely planning to come to the San Carlos. The Staff were very friendly and helpful; they let me checked-in at 7am WITHOUT having to pay any extras fees (the Affinia made me pay $100 for checking in at 1pm!). I love the San Carlos and I highly recommend them. I'm definitely coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel many years ago and had a great experience then, we returned this week to find it was a good as ever. The location is perfect, 3 blocks from 5th Avenue. The room clean, quiet and comfortable, a real haven in a busy trip. Breakfast good and plentiful. The staff were, without exception, helpful, charming and friendly. Very happy to recommend

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights including New Year's Eve. There was free wifi which was a decent speed, the room was clean and spacious and it was at a good location. The weather was freezing and below freezing on a couple of days there so we caught a taxi to and from the hotel some days as walking in minus 16 degrees Celsius wasn't pleasant, in warmer weather this wouldn't have been an issue.
The staff at the from desk were lovely but some staff were more helpful than others. I wanted to get my dress dry cleaned and was told by night staff I had to take it down the road but in the morning when I brought it downstairs front desk said they'd do it for me; a very small matter but the hotel organising it saved me time!
All in all, a good experience :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at the San Carlos during Christmas which is probably one of the busiest times of the year in NYC. The first impression of the hotel was the warmth and friendliness of the staff, from the bell hop to front desk! Check in quick and easy. Walking distance to Rockefeller plaza, subway and more. The maid service was wonderful and the hotel (not just our room) was impeccably clean at all times. there were a couple of times when we requested extra soap or towels, within 3-4 minutes of calling down to front desk, we had what we requested. The rooms are a bit larger than a standard hotel room and two queen beds makingit feel a little more roomy. Fridge and microwave in room and everything in good working order and very clean. Breakfast was continental and included mostly breads, and breakfast pastries, cereals, apple or bananas and yogurt. Also bagels on just a couple of days, simple and quick breakfast option. My favorite was the hot milk in the carafe each morning. I put a lot of milk in my coffee and tea and most hotels only have the chilled milk for cereals, not hot milk so this was a pleasant bonus. A couple of days the breakfast room was full, but you didnt have to wait more than a few minutes for a table we usually got there befor 8 and no wait, but after 8:30-9, it got very busy. There is also a nice breakfast diner directly across the hotel, but it is a bit pricey as is most everything in the city! But convenient if you want to have eggs or pancakes or more substantial breakfast. Did I mention how nice and courteous the staff were? The Aveda shampoo and conditioner were sooo nice and shower was very hot and wonderful in the cold weather. The hotel car service is convenient and prompt in picking up and dropping at airport. Overall excellent service, great location and very very clean!! Definitely would stay here again!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Decided to try the hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and a very good price. Stayed for five nights the week before Christmas in one of the one bedroom suites--which was larger than most New York apts. The small kitchen actually had usable utensils, plates and wine glasses with a small refrigerator. The bed was comfortable and the bathrooms well appointed. The free breakfast was not extensive but had juice, yogurt, fruit, coffee and breads. If you wanted someplace more there was a great diner across the street.

The lobby is well appointed and there is a nice, free, business center. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The only downside, and the reason I did not give a "five" was because the in room wifi was totally unreliable. You could get a signal only about half the time and even then you would get bumped off. I had work I needed to do and I lost quite a bit one night because the wifi went down. The signals from the surrounding hotels were much stronger and always available (if of course you had the access code which you don't). The front desk didn't do anything or seem concerned when I twice raised the issue.

The location is perfect. Easy walking distance to everything but off the main drags so you don't have the noise etc. There is a subway station a block away and it's only about 4 blocks to Grand Central. There are a number of close by restaurants ranging from a diner to high end--including several with takeout. There is a Duane Reade around the corner and a Starbucks a block away.

I will definitely stay here again--as long as I can figure out a different option for wifi.

Room Tip: Upper floors give you a bit more sunlight.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I just stayed at the San Carlos several weeks ago, and I decided on this location based on location and price point. I got an extra low rate by going on their hotel website and booking a non-refundable room, which was fine b/c it was only a few days before my trip. The recommended parking lot was full upon our arrival, but we said we were staying at the San Carlos, and they happily let us into the lot. The front desk staff was so friendly and made us feel very welcome. They held a key for my friend who was arriving later that evening, and he told us he felt like a VIP by the way they greeted him upon arrival. We had a spacious suite which was clean, modern and very comfortable. When we checked out in the morning, they happily held our bags behind the desk while we got lunch and watched a football game at a nearby restaurant. The experience was just wonderful, and this is my new go-to spot when in the city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night the week before Christmas. The hotel immediately exceeded my expectations. The rooms were large, beds comfortable, bathrooms appointed with Aveda products. The room was exceptionally clean. Special kudos for the staff, especially Fabio in reservations and Yadim on the desk. These two were outstanding, but there was a young woman on the desk who made recommendations and was really helpful, as well the doorman. Our room was on a higher floor, so there was minimal street noise and no sound from adjoining rooms. Location an easy walk to Rockefeller Center and Central Park, as well as 5th Ave shopping. The free continental breakfast was ok--nothing great, but ok. That and so-so towels were my only (and small) complaints. If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel in NY, you can't go wrong with the San Carlos. I will stay here again and have already let my friends know about it.

Room Tip: If traffic noise bothers you, you might want to request a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to San Carlos Hotel? Share your experiences!