“A True Gem of a Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of San Carlos Hotel

You added San Carlos Hotel to your Saves list
San Carlos Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 East 50th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #49 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Kansas City
“A True Gem of a Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Let’s talk hotels. In New York City.

Oy vey.

In doing my research before our trip, I probably spent more time in hotel research than anything else. There’s SO many things to consider when choosing a hotel – such as location, price, size, quality, etc – and this is especially true when choosing a hotel in Manhattan.

Take location, for instance…do you want to stay in the heart of Times Square? That’s great if you want to be within walking distance of a lot of the “touristy” stuff – but it could be horrible when it comes to noise…or cost. So – if having a quiet, peaceful night’s sleep is important to you – you may choose to NOT be in the heart of Times Square.

So…I researched. And researched. And researched again. I like my sleep. I like peace and quiet. I also like space – and we had three people to fit into a room. A lot of hotel rooms in Manhattan are about the size of a person’s closet – so this was disconcerting to someone who is a bit claustrophobic.

I finally discovered the San Carlos Hotel – located at 150 East 50th Street…in the Midtown East location in Manhattan. Tripadvisor.com had it ranked #32 out of 435 hotels in New York City – which is pretty darn good.

As far as location, it was excellent…it was one block away from a subway line, and it was just a few blocks away from Times Square and Broadway. However – it was FAR enough away to afford us a bit of peace and quiet when we retired for the night. We were in Room #701 - a corner suite - that was high enough to give us some cushion from street noise.

The price…was adequate. It wasn’t the cheapest – nor the most expensive – but for what we got (a suite), it was reasonable.

Speaking of a suite, we had plenty of space. We had a small kitchen area, a dining table with two chairs, a pull-out sofa bed that Daughter used, and two good-sized closets.

And quality? Wow. It was always clean; the concierge and doorman were always attentive; we had turn-down service every night (including chocolates on our pillows); free internet; and free continental breakfast. On a rainy day, the staff kindly lent us each an umbrella to use throughout the day - which was very much appreciated.

Again, the staff were always attentive and helpful. On our last morning, we weren't getting picked up until 1:00 pm, and management kindly let us stay in our room until our car arrived.

I will recommend this hotel to any family and friends who are visiting Manhattan, and will be sure to use it again myself when visiting. A true gem!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed June 20th. - 23rd. This was our first visit to NYC, we didn't know what to expect.
Our Flight arrived 5 hours prior to check-in. But this was not a problem for the Staff. They found us a room right away. The front desk staff were quite friendly, helpful, and made us feel like VIP's. They chatted with us about where we were from, what we planned to do, and offered advice on exploring the city.
What a wonderful 'first impression' of the City!
The room was nice and clean, with a microwave, coffee maker, mini fridge, and place settings for 2. The beds were luxurious.The room was on the 5th floor with an alley view but this was small price to pay for the luxury of not hearing traffic noise at night. After all, we spent very little time in our room awake.
The complimentary breakfast was very much appreciated. The staff greeted us each time we left and returned to the hotel. Since this was our first time in NYC we relied on the staff to help us plan our mode of transportation; subway, taxi or walking; depending an the day's activity.
On our last day, our flight wasn't until 5:45. We went ahead and checked out around 10 AM. The staff stored our suitcases while we did our last exploration of the city and suggested using a car service to the airport for little more than a taxi would cost. This removed the task of hailing a taxi, provided a much nicer ride to the airport, and guaranteed we leave the hotel on time and arrive at the airport on time.
We will definitely stay at the San Carlos hotel on future visits to the Big Apple.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We visited June 21-26th for a grandmother/daughter/granddaughter trip and upon checking-in were upgraded to a larger room. This is such an amazing hotel with close proximity to all that NYC has to offer. Walking distance to all the great attractions. (Broadway, Times Square, MoMA, 5th avenue, Rockefeller, Central Park). The staff was wonderful and made us feel so very welcome, like home. This hotel is definitely a boutique and not a large turn and burn hotel. I would recommend San Carlos to my closest friends and from now on, we will only stay here when visiting the city. My only recommendation: even though breakfast was included, it would have been nice if they changed up the options each day. It was very much a continental breakfast. More fruit would have been appreciated. However, this is a minimal suggestion. The San Carlos was such a wonderful find and after a busy, fast paced day exploring the city, we looked forward to arriving here each night..

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Once again I had the honor of staying at this lovely boutique family-owned hotel on a yearly business trip to NYC and it's another year of 'this is the only hotel I will ever stay at in NYC!' What I love is the clean rooms, the attentive and friendly staff, the location, the price and the simple yet ample breakfast choices.

Room cleanliness & housekeeping staff: it's rare for a room to not only appear AND be so clean but they must use some special deodorizer because the entire hotel smells fresh yet not overly perfumed - just clean. The towels are thick and luxurious, the bedding is crisp and the bath amenities are Aveda. Even if we didn't need more products, they housekeeping staff stocked us new each day. When we needed extra pillows or towels they were at our door within minutes.

Lobby staff: forever and always friendly. We ran into the owner in the breakfast room and he was incredibly gracious and friendly as are the bellhops and front desk staff. Speaking of the breakfast room, there's an assortment of bread items such as pastries and bagels as well as a toaster. Good coffee, hot chocolate, hot milk, juice and teas. There's cold cereal and a fresh fruit every day. What I really love is the cottage cheese and yogurt assortment for those of us who don't want bread for breakfast.

Location: why go to NYC if you don't plan on walking? We love where this hotel is - very close yet far enough to Central Park and Times Square. We even take a day to venture by foot to Chinatown, Soho and the village. Very easy and pleasant walk not to mention the area itself is about the safest place I've ever been. We're comfortable walking outside at night to get a bite or do some more shopping.

Décor & room: the hotel is luxuriously decorated without being gaudy or old-vintage. The rooms are incredibly large for NYC standards. I always take one of my children with me along with my business partner and there's plenty of room. The staff is VERY welcoming to children, too.

Once again, the San Carlos will be booked for my 2014 business trip.

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel if you need silence. I have no preference as the street does not both...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Seven nights in the Big Apple in June 2013 was a fabulous experience made all the better by the friendliness of the staff at the San Carlos Hotel.We were visiting our daughter who is working there for a year and booked the hotel for it's location close to where she is based. The staff kindly let her have access to the room before we arrived to leave some items for us. On arrival registration was speedy and efficient with the guy on duty offering information on things to do and how to get about. In the room was a wonderful surprise 'gift' basket of hotel goodies and wine for my birthday! The room was spacious for a New York hotel and spotlessly clean, a standard that was maintained all through the week. There is a mini fridge,microwave and coffee machine which can be extremely useful in a busy week.They provide a complimentary breakfast which consists of a selection of breads,pastries,cereals,fruit,yoghurts, juices and hot drinks. Whilst no means extensive it is good quality and substantial enough to set anyone up for the day. Whenever we went through Reception the staff asked how our day/evening had gone and were generally really helpful. On leaving they sorted out our airport transfer when there was a delay with the transport. The location is fabulous and only a couple of minutes away from the subway for those needing to use it.Prepayment gets a 20% discount making it good value for money compared to other hotels in that category. All in all the San Carlos is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel for a quiet time.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed there for 2 nights in October, 2012. Hotel's staff was extremely helpful and nice, hotel itself is nicely furbished & clean. The A/C was a bit loud, though. I was staying on the 16th floor, therefore I had a mini balcony/terrace thing next to my room, so I would climb out and smoke, while enjoying the view of Manhattan. Great memories.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the San Carlos Hotel and was pleasantly surprised especially given the great rate we received. The hotel is in the heart of Midtown with easy access to subways, shopping, etc. I was there on a guys trip so we booked a suite. It was surprisingly big. I have stayed in other suites in New York, and this was one of the biggest. There was a mini-fridge, microwave, large sitting area, ans even a table and chairs. The rooms were well-appointed and modern. The only downside was that the elevators were small and slow, but I would absolutely stay there again. The 20% discount for pre-paying is also nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to San Carlos Hotel? Share your experiences!