“Cute hotel but disappointed!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Roger

You added The Roger to your Saves list
The Roger
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Madison Avenue, At 31st Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly Hotel Roger Williams) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Breakfast for 2 Included!
Ranked #204 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Naples, Florida
“Cute hotel but disappointed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I spent a night here last weekend through a promotion we found on Jetsetter (formerly SniqueAway). I was very excited to stay at this property because of its' location. Although I have read various reviews, the photos looked appealing. It was our one year anniversary, something I mentioned upon check in but no one seemed to care. The woman at the checkout just smiled and handed us the key to a room that was tucked away on the ninth floor, kind of like a large closet with a view of -- a brick wall. It was disappointing, to say the least. Overall, we had an amazing evening but not because of the room. The room was pretty but very damp and stuffy. The air conditioning was soooooo loud. I tried watching television before bed but had to have the volume up so loud that I was worried I might disturb the other guests. Again, the decor was lovely but I know for sure they put us in one of the smallest rooms as I examined the chart on the door that shows the floor plan in case of an emergency. Ours was smaller than most rooms by at least a quarter to a half. It certainly wasn't the sort of room I would have chosen for an anniversary night.
In the morning, my husband attempted to find coffee in the cafe on the mezzanine level. The gentleman in the restaurant wasn't very helpful and seemed aggravated that my husband wanted to bring the coffee up to the room.
Overall, it wasn't a horrible stay nor was it exceptional. It was "ok," not what I expect from a boutique hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel as there are better, roomier and more comfy rooms available in NYC.

Room Tip: Ours was not a good room...... so I can't give a tip on how to get one. I thought mentioning ou...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liza L, General Manager at The Roger, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Timesharepa:

I am so sorry that we did not recognize your anniversary in an appropriate way with something “bubbly” and an upgrade. I would be more than happy to make up for it on your next visit. Please contact me directly at 1 (212) 448-7000 and I will take care of your reservation.

Kindest Regards

P. Horstmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had wonderful customer service which helped soften the blow of an embarrassing credit card snafu. We loved the look of this boutique hotel and also the location- we were able to walk to many places we wanted to be within 15-30 minutes and it was also easy to get on the subway around the corner.
The bed was very comfortable and the AC was very cold which was great to come back to after 90+ degree humid days in July.
My only complaint is that the shower in our room took a while to heat up and even then there were times when it would be scalding hot or freezing cold- hard to get that temperature right so start it up ahead of time if you are short on time.

Room Tip: Our room didn't have much of a view (1217) unless you like to try to look in other people's...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Recently renovated with a gorgeous lounge and lobby, this is a gem of a hotel. The staff was very polite and friendly, especially Crystal at the Front Desk. Our room was quiet and beautifully remodeled. I thought the beds and pillows were very comfy. I usually bring my own pillow but didn't need it at The Roger. All that said, there are no ice machines on the guest room floors. Seriously, who likes to get on an elevator to get a bucket of ice? Bathroom was super small with no counter space, but the shower was really strong, the way I like it. Seeing price tags throughout the room and bathroom is pretty tacky. But, when I thought about the value of the room and the price paid I could overlook them. Overall, a nice experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were really surprised to see a price card for the stocked bathroom toiletries after walking through a beautiful lobby and experiencing a great check-in. My wife liked how "it's close to almost everything" and "it's quiet" and "the staff are friendly". I liked the window overlooking Madison Avenue and utilizing the 'Tasty Cafe' across the avenue. Cute, clean, small room. The writing desk, desk chair, bed and usual dresser combo left about 80 sq ft of floor space. Doormen always asked if they could help in any way. The rugs in the elevators should be removed/replaced - piu.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

i stayed here for just under a week for a business trip.

The hotel looks beautiful and exactly the pictures i saw but... i'm not impressed.

My biggest complaint is to do with the beds, it was awful, did not get a good nights sleep while there. This is the main reason why I'm not planning to return.

Other more minor things i didn't like:
I did not like the "sales" items they left all over the room
Given we were paying over $300 per night they were skimpy on the bath extras - all the shower amenities were in large bottles attached to the shower, unlike other hotels where you can take the little bottles home. They did however leave a small bottle of body cream which was just replenished and not re-stocked daily.

Also, when i checked out they just processed my bill and did not mention if there were any additional charges - i'm used to the hotel reminding me of the total cost and if there are any extra fees. As i was walking out i checked the bill and realised they charge me for extra items - which i did not use! Cheeky, i had to go back and get them to refund the amount!

Just not what i expect from any hotel let alone a 4star

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I enjoy staying at the Roger when the rates are reasonable (this is a NYC phenomenon not a Roger one). It's got great staff, a beautiful design aesthetic, quiet rooms, and a good location. And a great shower!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Silverdale, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have stayed in a few boutique hotels now. This was probably my least favorite. Everything was just average to me. The workers were all nice. But, the prices (food, drinks, etc) were very high and the hotel did not have any great amenities. It is small and had a small bar in the lobby. The rooms were average and the bathrooms did not have good lighting or space. Only one person in there at a time and the mirror was small and it is bad lighting. No other mirrors in our room either. So, my girlfriend and I struggled to get ready each day. My other friend payed extra to have a room with a nice balcony. But, it was much smaller than the pictures on the website and never got used (we were hoping for all the girls to hang out and enjoy the view from her balcony). Next time I am in NYC, I will probably stick with my favorite boutique hotel chain...Kimpton Hotels! There was one right down the street!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Roger? Share your experiences!