“Great Boutique Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Roger

You added The Roger to your Saves list
The Roger
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Madison Avenue, At 31st Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly Hotel Roger Williams) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Breakfast for 2 Included!
Ranked #196 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Winthrop, Maine
“Great Boutique Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

First of all, please do not pay total attention to the recent negative reviews of this hotel. I can't believe that they are talking about the same location. My husband and I are fairly particular and I have to say that our Thanksgiving stay at the Roger was A+. We booked directly this summer and when we arrived, we found out that our package included the delicious buffet breakfast in the mezzanine dining room and discounted parking at a nearby garage. Yes, the bathroom was a little small but the room itself was quite large with great bedding and a nice view. The front desk staff couldn't have been more accommodating and the doormen were extremely helpful. The central location makes it ideal for visiting so many NYC sites. We easily walked over to the Macy's parade. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip.

Room Tip: If I travel to NYC during warmer weather, I will probably upgrade to a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Finnish first
Geyserville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We just spent Thanksgiving week at The Roger and absolutely loved it. We were booked into a nice room on our first night but we were advised that the room had some problem that needed work. We were upgraded into a beautiful two room suite. We found the staff at the hotel to be exceptional in meeting our needs and providing directions, etc. The Roger exceeded our expectations in every area. We would definitely stay there again in the future and would recommend the hotel to our friends.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

This was my first visit to New York and I was worried about which hotel to stay as I had been disappointed with previous 4* US chains. I am a Marriott 'dedicatee', but couldn't afford its Manhattan prices. I also love boutique hotels and it was this description that made me choose The Roger. I loved it. It was nearly on par with the Marriotts I've stayed in, and I've stayed in many on different continents. The room was a very good size - much larger than other boutique hotels I have stayed in. The bathroom was tiny though, but this wasn't a problem for me. The bed was very comfortable and I would be surprised if the pillows were not 100% goose down. There was a live pianist in the evening and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I am planning to revisit NY soon and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Lastly the hotel is 2 mins walk from the Empire State building and c.10 mins walk from Saks Fifth Ave. You can hit Broadway within 5 mins of leaving the hotel. The photos ive seen on here are the old ones. The hotel is now a modern grey and white and wood. I would highly recommend this hotel if you like staying in semi luxury.

• Stayed November 2012
Harrisburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I love the Roger. I have been staying there every year at Thanksgiving with my siblings for the past 10 years. 5 years ago I was having surgery at Mt. Sinai and I booked a week at the Roger leading up to my surgery because I needed to have pre-op tests and procedures done. It is truly my hotel of choice when I visit New York. It is under new management now but all that seems to mean is that they changed the room setups and decor(very nice, comforting colors) but the staff, fortunately, is the same and the service is still fantastic. The same young lady seems to check us in every year and always remembers us. The new beds are incredibly comfortable and the location couldn't be better. We have always enjoyed our stay and have never had any of the issues raised by some of the other reviewers, I am happy to say. Maybe we are easier to please, I don't know, but I highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had booked a terrace room for a 1 night stay. We arrived quite early and accepted a room with a terrace but not the King bed we had requested. This was possibly why our room was quite small. I cannot comment on how the other rooms look but ours, on the 14 th floor, whilst it was cozy and looked nice, was not exactly spacious. The terrace itself was very small but with a nice view on the Empire State. The 2 terraces in the rooms next to us were even smaller so I can't say the picture on the website is very realistic.
The bathroom was tiny, way too small. No bath, shower was good although temperature regulations difficult. Sink too small, no space to move around.
The hotel has no gym and offers no room service in the morning. Luckily I travel with my own coffee making device and my husband nipped down to the buffet to deliver breakfast in bed but we usually order room service.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. We booked at a a good rate but I don't think I would pay full price for this place. Whilst it looks nice and it is clean, there is nothing special, what you see is what you get.
Bonus: very close to Shake Shack in Mdison sq park. We had a lovely burger in the sun.

Room Tip: Pay extra for terrace or bigger room. Ask for room with larger bathroom if they exist.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After weighing my options of hotels, analyzing the positive and negative reviews on Trip Advisor. My husband I decided to celebrate our sweet 16th anniversary at The Roger. Needless to say, there was nothing sweet about our stay.

The room was nice, larger than most tiny NYC rooms. The location is very good, we had a cool view of the Empire State. But, the positives end there. The "terrace" was tiny, dirty, and NOTHING like the picture posted on their website. I will post mine on trip advisor soon. The breakfast is sub par and the staff's customer service is below average.

They add this random "service charge" that is not disclosed, so consider yourself put on notice. To make matters worse, they made several accounting errors totaling over $600 in mistakes that took over a dozen emails to correct. And they were still off by $20!

Last but not least, the hotel has a very eerie and creepy feel to it. Reminded me of The Shining. Bottom line, I do not recommend. Keep looking.

• Stayed October 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I am well-travelled, both for business and holiday, and have had the pleasure of experiencing perfect service and the dissatisfaction of being tantalized with bad service and hotel management. Well, the service and in particular the management of this hotel are on the lowest end of the scale of my experience - and that is a shame because the hotel would have potential. It is well decorated, the room size is acceptable for New York standards and is reasonably well located.

Yet, nobody in this hotel really seems responsible for the management of this hotel and the customer handling. The staff at the reception changes daily and is not aware (and does not care) of what happened the day before. The management is only available for complaints after letting you wait improperly long and simply does not care at all if something went wrong. That is even worse than the fact that some things during our four-night stay went wrong.

The unpleasnt experienced started with the fact that we did not get the room which we had booked weeks in advance. We could only move to a nicer room on the second night of our stay. On the day we were able to move rooms we had asked in the morning that our luggage (which we had packed and described in detail to the receptionist) be moved to the new room. When we came back to the hotel in the evening nothing was ready which resulted in a awkward time crunch for us as we had an appointment that evening. The excuse presented to us was ridiculous: The staff of the hotel had felt uncomfortable moving the laptop from one room to the other. When we complained in the evening, this obstacle did - miraculously - not exist anymore. No one ever made the effort to explain to me why the rest of the luggage (other than the laptop) could not be moved.

This experience was then topped on the last night when we arrived back late at night to the hotel and found our room not being made. The excuse in this case was that there had been a "do not disturb" sign on the door. Maybe this flimsy sign had just turned while we were out of our room. Be that as it may, what is certain is that when leaving the room for breakfast in the morning the maid had asked us when she could make the room and I had asked her to do so after us leaving the hotel after breakfast. As you can imagine, we did not eat breakfast all day...

The worst of it all and the biggest insult was how the management of the hotel handled our complaint. Instead of apologizing for the incidences the manager only found the bad excuses mentioned above. Instead of trying to make up for our unpleasant experiences the manager ridiculed me by offering a discount which is not even worth being mentioned. I told the manager that this was not acceptable but the hotel did not show any flexibility whatsoever. The manager even refused to acknowledge in writing that we had complained and simply charged the room without my acknowledgement of the invoice.

Every time we had asked for the manager it took her ages to appear (although her office is right behind the reception) and the general manager was not available at all. Overall, the performance of handling our complaint(s) by the management was tremendously poor. The management did not show any interest in good customer care whatsoever. Not taking the customer seriously is simply not acceptable for a hotel of that standard.

What I should add: The purse which my girl friend unfortunately left in the room when we checked-out of the hotel was never found despite her calling the hotel immediately after returning home... This just matches the rest of the experience with this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Liza L, General Manager at The Roger, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear E D,

I apologize for the inconveniences you faced at The Roger. I spoke to our staff and also received some concerning feedback regarding your stay. Can you please contact me directly as I would like to connect with you offline to further discuss? I can be reached at 212.448.7000. Thank you.

P. Horstmann

Been to The Roger? Share your experiences!