“Old But CLEAN !!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

Save Saved
You added Roger Smith Hotel to your Saves list
Roger Smith Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #260 of 452 hotels in New York City
Broomall, Pennsylvania
“Old But CLEAN !!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Great location, within walking distance of almost anything your looking to do. The whole decor of the hotel was very nostalgic I felt like I went back in time but it was clean and everything worked. NO Parking @ the hotel, bummer! Crappy offerings for continental breakfast & the WiFi was not so great ( could NOT really get connected ).

Stayed April 2014

881 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Turkish first
sarasota, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This was the latest of my many stays at the Roger Smith Hotel and it's always pleasant to return. The rooms are very large for Manhattan, especially for midtown; the location is unbeatable, among hotels that charge twice as much. One special feature of this hotel is the variety of rooms to accommodate different combinations of travelers. This time, in NYC with my daughter and granddaughter, we had a "Junior Suite." There were two double beds plus a loveseat that opened into a large twin bed, so nobody had to share a bed. The room was spacious, with a desk, comfortable armchair, and lots of floor.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We spent a week at the Roger Smith in April. From our checkin we liked
it very much and realised we had made a good choice. We were familiar
with the area as we had stayed at the Lexington next door many times
before. To be honest we had passed Roger Smith many times and never
took much notice.
We had a junior suite facing Lexington Ave which was very spacious and
felt like a small apartment.  We had everything we needed - a large 4
poster bed, sofa, writing desk, large glass coffee table, TV, fridge,
microwave, coffee maker and ample closet and drawer space.  The
bathroom was spotless and we liked the traditional decor. It was nice
to look out onto the hustle and bustle of Lexington Avenue.
The complimentary yogurt, granola and apples which were available 24/7
was a nice unique touch. The Vermont yogurt was very good quality -
recommend the maple!.
We visited Lilly's bar on the ground floor for a couple of drinks
during happy hour and we were surprised how lively it was.  Though the
sign says "restaurant" did not see evidence of food being available.
Check-in and check-out was straightforward - Randy made us feel very
welcome.  We will definitely be staying at the Roger Smith on our next
trip.

Room Tip: Go for a Junior suite...ours was located at one corner of the fourth floor so it had two windows and...
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
- The location is convenient to midtown attractions and subway.
- The price of my room was aggressive for this neighborhood.
- The plumbing was solid with good water pressure and temperature.
- My room had a decent number of three-pronged outlets or extension cords, located in convenient places.
- The in-room WiFi had a strong signal and decent throughput.

Cons:
- The building is tired looking on the inside, with a broken front door, well-worn carpets, aging wallpaper and some cracks in the walls.
- The mirror over the sink in my bathroom was too low for a 6' tall person to see their head in it.
- The lighting over the sink in my bathroom was a little on the dim side.
- The in-wall air conditioning unit in my room looked very dingy and dirty, but more significantly, let in almost as much street noise as an open window.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The location is excellent for all the attractions nearby, also only 3 blocks away from subway (line 4-5-6). Me and wife were expecting a boring standard one room with queen size bed, but we got a suite instead. Bed is a bit shaky though. Also photos on the wall make me a bit uneasy in the first place. Staff are very friendly, will definitely come back if we visit NYC again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I scheduled my stay at the roger smith hotel with james Fox(Director of Sales) and I faced a lot of problems.
On April 2, I decided to let the housekeeping enter my room and at night, when I came back, I noticed that some things inside my refrigerator was missing. Luckily, the things of greater value were locked inside my luggage.
Since then, I didn't ask for cleaning service (what I was paying for).
Two days later I realized that someone entered my room without informing me.
I was really disapointed with this hotel and I was worried about my things. I wasted many time everyday to keep everything locked.
Definitely, it was not what I expected from the roger smith hotel.
The heater did not work properly. It stopped working and did not return for one or two days.
My checkout was a mess. I paid for 12 nights with cash on my check-in. One week later, I booked one more night using Hoteis.com's web site and I informed everything needed to the front desk. At check out, they tryed to charge me again the 13 days. I explained everything to the front-desk and I waited for 15 minutes for him to redo all accounts. Even though, they charged me again the last night and I payed twice for the same "service". I called the company (Hoteis.com) and they told me that The Roger Smith received my stay and was not necessary to charge me again. Now I'm trying to solve my problem.
I don't really recommend this hotel to anyone.
The hotel staff convinced me that my bags would not fit in a conventional taxi and they convinced me to call a bigger car. When I realized, they rented a limousine to take 4 large suitcases and two small. When I arrived in Brazil, I took it home in a taxi much smaller than conventional cars used as taxi in New York.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Since then, I didn't ask for cleaning service (what I was paying for).
Two days later I realized that someone entered my room without informing me.
Definitely, it was not what I expected from the roger smith hotel.
I don't really recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Roger Smith Hotel? Share your experiences!