“older, but good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

You added Roger Smith Hotel to your Saves list
Roger Smith Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #237 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Raleigh NC
“older, but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had a king bed suite and two queens regular room. On fourth floor, presumably beause we ordered through Hotels.com (try this hotel on Tuesday). Staff was pleasant if very busy. Rooms were spacious with a 6 x 8 kitchen-lite fridge, sink, microwave in suite. Fridge only in queen room. Beds comfortable. Some street noise, but it is afer all Manhattan on a Saturday night. No room service, but list of delivery carryouts. A/C was through the wall type (retrofitted) that worked well, but more noisy than we would prefer. Lack of outlets tells me older hotel when people had little to plug in - I carry a mini power strip for this reason. I seem to have given all the negatives, but we are planning on staying here for our Christmas trip to NY, so we liked it well enough.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JohnBirdsong, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi Koala,

Thank you so much for your review and notes. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I love that you travel with a power strip...brilliant! We're going to look into installing these into all of our rooms.

Enjoy the rest of your summer see you in NYC this Christmas : )

John Birdsong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
Trenton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

On arrival at the Roger Smith hotel I was struck by the convenience of its location and the class of the décor. The artwork throughout is spectacular. I would like to make special mention of the staff receptionist working that day. Her pleasant demeanor and smile put everyone instantly at ease. She deftly and politely rectified a booking error that had our children several floors apart from my wife and me. At our check-in and check-out she was delightful, handling the pressures of other clamoring guests with considerably more patience and poise than I think I would have had!! Valet parking was prompt, convenient and reasonably priced.

As to the quality of the accommodations, my family, every one of us, was thrilled with the high quality and convenient location; consequently, I would not hesitate to stay at the Roger Smith again, nor hesitate to recommend your hotel to my personal friends and professional colleagues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi Alfa,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor : ) We're thrilled that you were thrilled with our accommodations and staff. We'll definitely pass on the kind words to our receptionist Sophie.

Thanks again for the great recommendation, hope to see you again soon!

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We loved this hotel. Small and intimate. Very nice junior suite, very clean and great bed. Whenever I walked in the bellman would ask me if I wanted a bucket of ice. He knew I always wanted ice. The front desk was so helpful. I will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi Lbbinlv,

Thanks so much for the great review. We're happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Let us know if you need any more ice ; )

Cape May Court House, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The staff was great very helpful and caring. The parking was just perfect! We will be back. We were upgraded with no question room was very comfortable. Hall could have use more air cut it bad been over 90 degrees for several day. Great location for cars and cab too

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi Sandy,

We're so glad to hear you were happy with our staff and parking : ) Thanks for reviewing us and we hope to see you again soon!

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have noticed that most of my reviews have usually leaned to the positive side--in part because I use Tripadvisor frequently when selecting a hotel. Not the case this time. The room was booked for me by someone else and the review is not positive.

But first the good. The location is great, the rooms are decent sized, especially for New York. And the wi-fi is free (but see below).

Here's the rest. The woodwork, baseboards, and corners in my room looked like they had not been painted or cleaned or even dusted in at least 10 years. Torn and patched wallpaper, peeling paint, some rusted fixtures. Dirt and stuff all over the elevator floor--can understand if someone spilled something, but was there for at least 12 hours without being cleaned. Yes, there is free wi-fi, but it was s-l-o-w. Flat panel TVs are nice, and mostly standard everywhere, but what is the point if the cable signal is analog?

Lets talk about the air conditioning, which really sealed my opinion. First, it is a window unit and probably dates back about 40 years. The fan was noisy and would only work at one speed, the "auto" thermostat did not work, and the plastic frontpiece was cracked so it rattled and buzzed unbearably. The fan blows directly in your face when sitting at the desk with no way to redirect the air flow. The air conditioner was installed with duct tape (seriously) and it looked like it had been done by someone who had not yet learned to tie their shoes. The duct tape should not be surprising since it was also what was holding the "Roger Smith" sign on the front of the hotel. The window spacer for the air conditioner was a cheap fabric accordion style, so all the noise from Lexington avenue was as if the window was open. Finally, the drapes could only be closed if you blocked the air conditioner. So, if you wanted air conditioning you also got the noise and lights from the street. It was 96 degrees so air was kind of important.

I thought maybe it was just me, but my my client had put up someone else there whose experience and impressions were very similar to mine.

Room Tip: Avoid any room with window air conditioning.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JohnBirdsong, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Firstly, we extend our most sincere apology for the difficulties you encountered on your recent stay with us. Regarding issues of cleanliness we will investigate your claims thoroughly. In reference to your claim regarding wi-fi, we plan to do a floor by floor survey of wi-fi speeds and will investigate whether we are are using all our possible bandwidth. We are happy that you were pleased with our location and the generous size of our guest rooms. We are looking into the issues you brought up in reference to the air conditioning window unit in the room you stayed in. Regarding your note about flat panel TVs with analog signal, we have been planning a complete overhaul of our cable system and are in the initial phases of switching over to an HD signal.

Thank you for your feedback, and we appreciate your comments as we are constantly looking to improve in all areas of our hotel.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We checked into Roger Smith with some positive experiences at other NYC boutique hotels. This was nothing like thoses positive experiences. Bfast was yogurt and granola in the lobby. Elevators were old and slow. Room was run down. TV did not work properly. Worst of all, shower triggered smoke alarm. When I called to find out what should be done the front desk said the alarm will stop in a few minutes. For $300 a night, you can do much better in NYC.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Hum. Well the rooms are very large and there really is a great ambiance once you get up to the rooms - which are really the greatest asset of this hotel - that and the free wifi. No lobby is disappointing at best. Making it feel more like a basic lodging than a prime location hotel. If you are reserving a discounted rate, absolutely worth it, but be careful not to overpay (full rate). Very conveniently located from the FedEx on 56 and the Bliss Spa on 50.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Marlenny P, Manager at Roger Smith Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Fionad491,

Thank you for your feedback on your Roger Smith experience. I'm delighted to hear that you found our rooms spacious and accommodating. Regarding the lobby, Yes, it is quaint, but tastefully adorned with seating. Additionally, Lilly’s bar, which is right adjacent to the lobby with complimentary Wi-Fi, allows for more space and perfect for a change of environment should you wish to work outside of your room. Did you notice the brass panels that ornamented the walls at the lobby? they were skillfully crafted by our President and sculptor, Mr. Knowles.

Feel free to contact me if you wish to further discuss and I’ll be more than happy to chat with you.

Best regards,

Marlenny Paredes
wecare@rogersmith.com

Been to Roger Smith Hotel? Share your experiences!