“Dirty is all I can say” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Roger Smith Hotel

You added Roger Smith Hotel to your Saves list
Roger Smith Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #246 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Winnipeg, Canada
“Dirty is all I can say”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I just got back from a five night stay at this hotel and am very unhappy with the rooms, the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff who seemed quite disinterested and disengaged in my opinion. The suite was old with stains on the carpet everywhere you looked. The furniture was outdated, scratched, torn and smelled very musty. Air conditioning unit needed to be fixed. Housekeeeping was poor as the suite was vacuumed once during our stay and the bathroom was not kept clean at all. The king bed was lumpy and creaked every time you moved and the sofa bed was like sleeping on the metal coils themselves. I am not sure why people give this hotel such a great review. I for one would never recommend this place to anyone and when speaking to some local residents at a restaurant in Soho they assured me that this hotel is not known for style or comfort... Sure the room was spacious but I would much rather have comfort and cleanliness than a couple of extra feet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I recently stayed at the Roger Smith Hotel on a recommendation from a friend. I am a seasoned traveler and have stayed all over the world. Not only was the hotel charming and clean, but the staff was friendly and accommodating at every turn. If you are looking for exceptional service, above par cleanliness and a great location, you MUST stay here! In fact, I never take the time to write reviews or recommendations about where I stay or how I felt about the hotel. This hotel is a must see, must stay location and I am grateful it was recommended to me. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Roger Smith is a great place to stay--clean, comfortable and charming! It is just far enough out of the busiest tourist zones to be peaceful yet close enough to find yourself in the midst of all the action in no time at all. Easy walk to 5th Ave shopping, the MoMA, and Central Park. Fun Sunday morning market on Lexington in front of hotel. Take advantage of "Curry Hill" on Lexington if you like Indian food! Just stroll or take short taxi ride straight down from the hotel and you can take your pick of many great restaurants of Indian cuisine! If Lily's coffee doesn't do the trick, there is a Starbucks right beside the hotel. Got a train to catch? Grand Central is right there, too! Free wi-fi in room. Comfortable beds with washable duvets. What is there not to like?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Centrally located so we were able to access the nearby attractions easily...with a 3 year old. Great art and figures all over to view. Unique style that felt artsy. The size and dimensions felt cozy, not too oversized nor tight. We were unable to utilize the roof top bar due to day and time of day we arrived and the downstairs bar/resturant was closed early (I think 5pm) which I thought odd for New York City... We were greeted but not overly friendly. The room was quaintly and comfortably decorated, 2 comfy beds (high for child though) with plush linens, brand new TV but I would recommend checking the AC first!
Would revisit and stay there again.
Booked online....

Room Tip: no idea, we received a pretty average room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at the Roger Smith Hotel on Lexington for 4 nights in late June 2011. After returning home I experienced the nightmare of bed bug bites. I went to my doctor and he gave me a letter confirming the presence of bed bug bites. I wrote to The Hotel and asked for reasonable compensation. They responded by saying that they inspected the room and could not find any evidence of bed bugs. The inspection took place 6 weeks after my stay so their regular pesticide treatment may have already taken care of the bed bugs, or perhaps they 'just couldn't find them'. Nine weeks later I still have scars from the bites. Their customer service in relation to this event was cold and totally unsatisfactory. I was not expecting a total reimbursement from my stay but they couldn't even offer an apologetic meal gratis during my next stay in New York. I will NEVER stay at ANY of the Roger Smith Hotels again, which is really a shame because it was a charming, older style hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed at the Roger Smith hotel about 17 times over the last 10 years and every time is better than the last. Seems that every time I come to NYC and stay somewhere else I end up saying "I wish I was at the Smith". While some of the rooms are small, the suites are great, like little apartments. The staff in this hotel is top notch and is incredibly helpful in every way. There are fantastic restaurants and good deli all within a short walk. Also Grand Central is just a short 5 block walk which is super convenient. The place is very clean, food is good, staff is always great. If they have rooms available you should stay here, . . . Joe Sloboda

• Stayed December 2010
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

My sister, nephew and myself went to New York this May. Looked for appropriate place to stay at reasonable price and failed at first. Normally I go to NYC few times a year, but on my own. Going there with famility is a challenge from the "hotel" point of view.

Found really the best rate directly at hotel's website (it was the best, comparing to other sites). Hotel room was spacious. Decoration of the room was sweet, but little bit tired. Reception was super friendly and helpful.

Generally, if you are traveling with family and want to stay centrally - this is an option. Still, the hotel is slightly washed-out, so take it only if you can get a deal for it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Roger Smith Hotel? Share your experiences!