“Best Stay in NYC Yet!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 452 hotels in New York City
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
“Best Stay in NYC Yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Well worth it and the Opera Suite was the perfect setting to propose to my fiance. We were welcomed by the owner and a staff member, who was very attentive when we needed something during our 3 night stay. The room was very spacious, clean, and welcoming (with various foods/drinks upon our arrival).

Location is great: safe neighborhood, close to the subway, and Central Park right there. We really enjoyed the fireplace and the outside balcony would have been a great place to relax (had it been a little warmer). Bottom line is: unlike other places we've stayed in NYC, we didn't mind spending time at the suite because it was so comfortable.

And the proposal... I had learned to play the piano and surprised my girlfriend by playing Canon in D before asking her to marry me. The suite provided a romantic setting to pull it off and I couldn't have been happier with my decision to book here. Looking forward to many anniversary celebrations in the future!!!

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in the library suite with our family of 2 adults and 2 teens. I can't even describe how comfortable it was. The photo on the Inn web page shows you barely a third of the suite. Because of the size and layout, the bedroom was very private. It is quite spacious and has a second desk (one is in the living room) and reading area, so you can have a place separate from the living room that's good to work or hang out in. The pocket doors close off the front into a very spacious sleeping area with convertable couch. The center of the suite is the kitchen/dining room -- this area is a good size too, so even with the pocket doors closed it feels spacious, an impression helped by several skylights. The kitchen is very well-stocked and constantly replenished with fruit, cheeses, pastry, excellent coffee, tea, milk and other snacks, and we were even asked what else we might like. As a refreshing change from the $4 bag of chips in most minibars, there was no charge for anything. We didn't cook but the kitchen is quite well-equipped.
The suite felt like being in someone's home in that the ordinary things you might want, you had. Children's books. Adult books. Zagat. Washing machine. A few games. Umbrella rack and umbrella. After staying there you realize in comparison how stark and barren even a lovely hotel room can be.
Quiet side street in an excellent location.
Potential down side: the bedroom has only a full-size bed, so if you need a queen to feel comfortable then you'll be disappointed.
And finally, the Inn is a brownstone and doesn't have a lobby or public space. The stairs are narrow and the first impression is not grand, but once you get to your suite you won't care.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
InnNewYorkCity, Owner at Inn New York City, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your detailed description of the Library Suite with Trip Advisor users. Just wanted to clarify that the bed is queen sized not full. We are delighted that you consider Inn New York City your home away from home and look forward to welcoming your lovely family back!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed staying at Inn NYC. It felt like having our own home instead of staying at an impersonal hotel. The location was great: near the subway, walking distance to Lincoln Center and many restaurants. It was very clean, and they were very accommodating when we needed to change to the library suite. There were fresh flowers, a stocked refrigerator, bottle of wine, and other nice touches. It was delightful and we hope to stay there again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This review is based on numerous past and recent visits. When my wife and I visit Manhattan’s upper west side every 2-3 months, we stay at Inn New York City. The Inn is a cherished and secret place. I have been hesitant to post a review on the Inn for purely selfish reasons – namely to ensure that I am able to obtain a reservation when I need it (since the Inn has only four suites to let). We have stayed in all the suites at the Inn, except the spa suite. The suites have always been extremely comfortable, especially when compared with other accomodations available on the upper west side. Added bonuses are the inclusion of an assortment of hearty snacks and beverages, and a fully functioning kitchen, in the room rate. In addition, the proprietor and her staff have always been pleasant, and eager to address the few minor issues we have had during some of our stays. The Inn is a terrific, rare, convenient, and charming place to stay. I hope I have not said too much, since I truly would like to make sure a suite is available for our upcoming trips to the upper west side.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

My new husband and I stayed here at the inn for a few days for our honeymoon. We were looking for a relaxing suite with a hot tub and browsed the Internet looking for something special. We definitely found it! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The Spa Suite was absolutely breathtaking. With a wonderfully comfortable king bed, a sweet little table for two that they had a heart shaped cake on set with dishes and the room decorated for newlyweds, the oversized jacuzzi tub with fireplace and sauna just made this the coziest and most intimate place for us. It's set on a quieter side street but is just a block from the subway so seeing the sites was easy! They equip the room. With breakfast food in a good variety along with wine and snacks. It's just beautiful and we plan on saving up and coming back for future anniversaries!!

• Stayed February 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This small hotel is located in a calm street on the Upper West Side. It is very close to the subway station on 72nd street with all possible service. It is an old brownstone house and each suite fills a full floor. We live in old house in Stockholm, and if you like the atmosphere in old houses this is perfect. The suite was full of old and interesting things, you always have something to look at. This gave a warm and cosy atmosphere, so we could have stayed in the suite all day, but of course we had other things to do. The living room also had a fireplace, which was very nice to start in the evenings. The bedroom is towards the garden with a good bed, so we slept very well after all the exciting things we did in the city. The living room is large with a comfartable sofa where we could read and watch TV.

We had excellent service from the nice and kind staff, including free laundray. One day the TV did not work (common problem with modern internet type of TV system), but we had it fixed immidiately. Every day we had a small chat with one of the nice people in the staff, and we always had all the help we needed. When we came back in the afternoon the room was always very clean.

The area around the hotel is nice and beautiful. There are lots of restaurants, bars and shops with everything you can need. Our favourites became Restaurant Luxembourg, Lanskys Deli and Fusha West for sushi. We always had things to eat in the hotel (included) but sometimes we also went to Trader Joes to shop or to Duane Reeds for icecream. All within one block from the hotel

We got married in New York, and on our wedding day the suite was unexpectedly prepared with roses, a wedding cake and other things. Thank you!

We look foward to stay in this extraordinary hotel on our next trip.

Room Tip: We choose the Library suite, which was very good for us. Large, high in the building, fireplace.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at Spa Suite for my birthday weekend. The place was very cute and the owner nicely prepared a birthday chocolate cake of fantastic quality ready for me. The staff was very friendly and nice. However, the first evening when a couple of my friends and I were hanging out at the jacuzzi before getting ready to go out, a maid came over to complain it was too loud. We were quiet girls, so it was hard to believe that we just got the complaint. I was just blaming on the fact that perhaps the walls are thin. Then, the next day, the owner called and complained to me the guest that I did not clean after myself before the maid came to clean the room. I thought that was part of the service provided by the cleaning service of the Inn. I was confused. And, she was complaining I did not put the phone down properly when it was the phone at the hotel that had the problem. I just did not want to have an argument ruin my birthday weekend, so I just apologized for no fair reason to stop this conversation. Seriously, I put all the dishes in the dish washer and the ones that couldn't fit into the dish washer in the kitchen sink. In fact, I cleaned after myself unnecessarily only to hear the hotel owner call my personal cell phone to complain for them carrying out the duty that the hotel was responsible for carrying out. On top of that, the jacuzzi was not working a few times. I was able to use it only ONCE for the entire weekend I stayed. What a waste. In fact, I was the one who had all the rights to complain and should have complained how rude the owner was and how poor the jacuzzi state was in terms of functioning. The interior design was great. Nevertheless, it is very debatable I will ever go back or recommend to anyone else only to receive such rudeness thus ruining my trip.

I still don't understand what I did wrong to deserve such rudeness from the hotel owner that both my friend who was staying with me and I had to ruin my birthday experience at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Inn New York City? Share your experiences!