“awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #174 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

chelsea lodge was a quaint, quiet place. Its what I called a "secret" hotel. The service was quick and easy. The room was just enough for a single traveler like me. I loved the cozy feel of the lodge and the free coffee/tea in the morning was awesome!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Incredibly inexpensive - which was great - so I knew I was not going to the Ritz. When I checked in they took me to a basement room with was sort of like going down into a subterranean tunnel. Getting down the steps was tough (tiny). The room - while clean, had mismatched and sort of busted up furniture, the TV did not work, and it was so hot (and unadjustable) that I finally just had to open the window to let the freezing air blow in. The window was below street level, but had bars - so I was not worried about anyone getting in - but the street noise was unbearable and everyone seemed to go out of the hotel to smoke right in front of the window.

Right outside of my door was the door to a really scarey looking set of basement stairs that kept swinging open, flushing the hallway with basement smell (not stenchy - just damp basement smell). The bigger issue is that it was scarey looking down there and I was afraid that something evil was going to come up those steps. I triple bolted my door!

Anyway, you get what you pay for. Everyone was nice, the neighborhood was very safe and nice - and there was a lot to walk to around the area. Lots of really nice restaurants. Maybe the upstairs rooms are nicer - but if you call and they only have the rooms in the basement - go elsewhere.

I probably will not stay again - but if you are trying to go on the cheap and can stay on the upper floors - it might be worth it.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Goulds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here with my husband back in October 2012 for 3 nights. We really enjoyed our stay. Excellent price in an awesome, safe location. Small, outdated room, but very cozy. The bed was SO comfortable. We stayed in a deluxe room which was located in the basement, facing the street, but it was always quiet. It also came with a separate bathroom, which was nice for us. I believe the hotel was fully occupied, but we might have only seen one or two other guests in the lobby. They have a very friendly and helpful staff. We really enjoyed the tea and coffee at the front desk in the morning. It's walking distance to Greenwich Village, and a short cab ride to the Times Square area. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a great value in a great location! We will definitely be staying here on our future trips to NYC!

Room Tip: Deluxe Room - separate bathroom
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Really enjoyed the 4 nights I stayed at the Chelsea Lodge. The staff was friendly and helpful and always had the coffee ready by 7:30 am. The room was smaller than a big box hotel, but plenty of room for me and my stuff. Each room has a sink and shower. The WC is in the hallway and I never had to wait to use it. Very clean. Nice neighborhood, good location, near subway and easy to catch a cab on 8th Avenue. I walked to a lot of places, it was that convenient.
I was there for the blizzard of 2013 and the staff handled it without problem. The stairs were cleared as was the sidewalk.
I paid $99.00 per night for all this and I am quite happy. In fact, I am planning another trip to NYC and hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: I got a double bed for the same rate as a single and enjoyed having a little more space for me. The...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just returned from a nice stay at Chelsea Lodge right in the heart of NYC. It's a very affordable option priced about $100 cheaper than any other hotel in the area and is centrally located to many of the Chelsea and Greenwich Village attractions. The lodge blends right into the neighborhood so keep an eye out for the front door. Staff was friendly and helpful when we needed assistance for directions and special accommodation to check out late. The room was warm, cheery and mostly quiet, but could have been bit cleaner. All in all nothing to worry about staying here especially considering the value one gets for price and location!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Located on a quiet street in the heart of the Chelsea district of mid-town Manhattan, Chelsea Lodge has a great location for exploring Manhattan by foot or subway. Stops for either the 1 subway line or the B-D lines are in easy walking distance.

The immediate neighborhood has nearly anything you will need including some decent restaurants--most very reasonably priced.

Our group of three had a very large room (actually a converted efficiency apartment) with private bath (shower only) and kitchenette (sans microwave). Comfortable beds and useful, simple furnishings. No problems with cleanliness. The steam heating system was quiet and comfortable--no hammers from hell or alternating shivvers/opening windows. No problems with hot water after consecutive showers. Despite being a "street view" room with single-glazed windows noise was not a problem as the street sees little traffic. Blackout type draperies keep the room nearly pitch dark for late risers.

The staff was friendly and helpful although we rarely saw them since the large rooms are a few doors down in a separate townhouse.

Greenwich Village, the Flatiron District and the Empire State Building are all within reasonable walking distance. Times Square is about 25 blocks away although these are the short blocks separating streets, not the long blocks separating avenues. Only 3-4 stops by subway on the 1 train to Times Square. The closest 1 line train stop is on 7th Avenue at 18th Street (you can exit but not enter at 19th street) and there is also one at 7th Avenue and 23rd Street.

If you are looking for comfortable lodging with an extremely convenient, quiet and safe location without breaking the bank, look no further!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tamworth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Chelsea Lodge for 5 days. It's very well located on a quiet street with minimal noise and bustle. Close to subway station (23rd St) and very walkable to many places.

Yes the rooms are small. It's NYC. They're all small unless you want to pay a fortune. The shared toilets are fine and very clean. Rooms are clean, bed is okay, toiletries are provided. Housekeeping changes towels every day.

Wifi we found to be perfectly okay.

The stairs are steep but they're easy to negotiate.

Its location is a real bonus - close to everything but removed enough that you aren't kept awake at night. Great food options nearby.

We used it as a base and roamed all over the city using public transport and the power of our own two feet. Armed with nothing but google maps we covered a large part of Manhattan, from uptown to downtown and a range of places in between.

I'd go back to the Chelsea Lodge - it was very convenient! Good value for your dollar.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Chelsea Lodge? Share your experiences!