“Asked for room change which made it better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Court Hotel

You added Amsterdam Court Hotel to your Saves list
Amsterdam Court Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   226 West 50th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #318 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Asked for room change which made it better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

When we first arrived, we checked into our room on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately the room was small and the window looked out onto a brick wall and when we turned the light off at night, you could not see a thing. We asked for a room change which the reception staff were able to sort for us after our 2nd night there and we ended up in a lovely room on the 5th floor which looked out from the front of the hotel, with 3 windows that you could see out of. Service of the hotel staff was great and location was fab, just a few minutes walk from Times Square

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the front of the hotel, to get windows
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Turkish first
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We visited New York on a budget and were worried about staying at the hotel, but were pleasantly surprised! It was small, but the bed linen was clean, as was the bathroom. It's a great place to rest your head in between site seeing. There is a nice bar and sushi restaurant below and we ventured up to tepee top floor which is currently undergoing renovation- when finished it will be a great bar with roof terrace veer looking the city.

This hotel is in a great location, near Times Square and dead opposite the Wicked theatre and off broadway, if you want to see a show.

In summary, great for a place to sleep on a budget!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tewksbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great location clean room,great friendly staff. Thanks Vanna and Robert for great service. The hotel bar had great drinks and good sushi. Very helpful with tourist info and directions to desired locations. We were upgraded to a deluxe room without asking.

Room Tip: We asked for a king and was upgraded to deluxe without asking
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at numerous Hotels in NYC. I booked Amsterdam Court as a surprise weekend get-away for my husband's birthday. They had the best price in the location we needed, I wanted to add to the surprise by having some cupcakes waiting in the room for us upon our arrival. I contacted the Hotel, Evanna who assisted me in finding a bakery called Magnolia and then arranged the order on my behalf. It turned out to be incredibly delicious vanilla and red velvet cupcakes. Its was great it may not have been the biggest request, but she handled each of my inquiries and requests as if it was top priority. When we arrived, not only where there cupcakes waiting, but additional surprises of rose petals all over the room along with a handwritten birthday card wishing my husband a happy birthday. We were also given a free room upgrade. I have come to expect amazing service from Hotels in New York, but all the employees at the Amsterdam Court went above and beyond and made my husband feel valued and that someone genuinely cared about the little details that mean so much to their guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for 3 nights and it was clean and tidy. The staff were so helpful with organising the trips we were planing also when we had problems with the shuttle service they were happy to help with that.
walking distances to all the places we wanted to go. The only thing we can say is a kettle in the room as we do drink alot of tea esp when we get up.
They did organised a lovely suprise for my partner of champagne and the biggest strawberries that I have seen.
We will be staying again when we can back to new york in the future for all the bits that we didnt get to see

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, wi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is the most conflicted review I've ever done. (You can refer to some of my other reviews as proof)

The good of course, which has been mentioned many times, is the location. That is the main selling point of this hotel. You are a subway stop from Central Park, walking distance to the theatre district and Times Square, restaurant row and Hell's Kitchen. Plus, being centrally located gives you good subway access to the all points south--the Village, Chelsea, etc...

Let's talk about the rooms now. When we arrived the front desk person was honest enough to tell us that our room for that night would be small but since we were staying a week we would be moved to a bigger room the next day. We asked if the room would be ready in the morning and were assured that it would be. We knew that was total BS though but we played along with it.

The room was micro micro small with practically a children's size bed. But, it was spotless. In any event we had a blast taking photos and videos of me falling into the bed when opening the door.

The next day we got the song and dance about the bigger room not being ready because the hotel was booked. Well didn't we book a room? Besides, we didn't demand another room, we were offered another room. Finally with some insistence a room appeared miraculously. This room was larger, a comfortable adult sized bed with a dresser and a chair and an old style boxy TV. It was very clean and served our needs easily. Because, to be truthful, all we wanted was a clean comfortable bed and place to shower. This is what we got.

So some impressions. I think the staff is used to complaints about the size of the rooms. So, they assign you a room, hope you tolerate it, if not they give you another room. There must be various levels of rooms in this hotel. On a scale of 1-5 I'm guessing we stayed in a 2or3.

If you are a needy person this is not the place for you. Forget it if you want a view, or wifi or a 5star breakfast or space and can't tolerate street noise (It is NYC after all.) If you are active and plan on being out in the city then this place will suit your needs.

We really didn't interact with the staff other than the first day. We are self-directed kind of people so there wasn't the need. What I saw though is that the staff is friendly and I give them props for dealing with the hassles involved in the hotel industry.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I would. I realize it is an older property and it is NYC. You have to accept some things. Why just a 3 star rating? Because I've stayed in 5 star hotels and know the difference. The Amsterdam Court Hotel is your average functional Hotel. It is not a fleabag nor is it luxury. You make the call.

Room Tip: Ask for a better room if your room is too small.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just arrived back from Vegas and New York. Stayed in the Amsterdam court which was recommended by the travel agent and then booked. Other than a fantastic location and a very comfortable bed I have nothing else to say good and agree with lots of the negative reviews.
Room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in, 2 coat hangers in the wardrobe, no where to put cases, we just lived out of our cases for the 4 days, no hot water later in day, no extractor fan in bathroom made in unbearable with steam after a shower making the mirror unusable. Bulb out in room on arrival. The window frames fitted where they touched, I think they must have found a skip full of old frames and put them in. The air conditioning unit was just slotted under the window frame with lots of gaps.
A very noisy hotel. There was a very large group of teenagers staying at the same time who were clashing doors, running from room to room, up and down corridors and generally being teenagers. What made is worse was our door out into the corridor was such a bad fit you could nearly see into the room through the gap. All the doors in the place could do with gentle Door closers. There was also a few very long hairs left in the shower tray and on the window ledge on our arrival and the one on the ledge was still there when we vacated the room 4 days later. I can only think the people who gave the place a good review stayed in much much nicer rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam Court Hotel? Share your experiences!