“Superlative- Tokyo with NY Flair” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aburiya Kinnosuke

Aburiya Kinnosuke
213 E 45th St, Frnt 1, New York City, NY 10017-3318 (Manhattan)
212-867-5454
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Miami Beach, Florida
“Superlative- Tokyo with NY Flair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is scarily similar to the very best restaurants in Japan. The vibe, the attitude, the ambiance and (most essentially) the food. Robata, tempura, sushi, stews - everything excellent.

The tasting menu allows the kitchen to fly in whatever direction their inclination and your wallet permit (you price the option). Observation suggests that the tasting courses are not often the same , but I saw nothing to suggest any missteps.

In addtion, I have to admit that they prepared the single best piece of fish that I have tasted (two large poritons of snapper with fins folded in the manner of antlers in a soy based sauce.

I will dream of this meal, even when I am eating some place else.

Excellent sakes and good value for money

• Visited January 2014

Detroit, Michigan
“If you like your local Japanese steak house, this is your upgrade!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I love my local Japanese steak house. The tempura veggies, hibachi grill where my meal is made before my very eyes and a side of California rolls. Take this image, and toss it aside. Aburiya Kinnosuke is nothing like this. It's your upgrade! One step closer to real Japanese food.

In NYC for a business meeting, I wanted a more "authentic" Japanese restaurant and figured this was the town to find one. Great Yelp reviews, advance warnings of small portions with hefty price tags. I went in with both eyes open and was not disappointed. We had tempura corn & avacado (amazing), grilled ground chicken (not amazing) & hanger steak (amazing). All with standing triangles of white rice. Overall, the food was a new experience for us and we happy to have eaten there.

We made a reservation well in advance and had no problems. The staff was nice enough to us and really helped us with the menu...nothing different any place else in NYC. The prices were very high, but breakfast cost us just as much at our hotel - got to remember where you are!

A few tips: 1. Ask for a "booth" where you sit on a raised floor. Very private with a curtain drawn on all sides. 2. Not good for kids. All mine could eat was the white rice. 3. Don't let the outside deceive you. Nicely appointed on the inside. 4. Be sure to use the bathroom.....just saying you need to check it out.

• Visited April 2013
Ft-Lauderdale
“Traditional Japanese cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

A big thank you to my Japanese friend Satoshi for making me discover this little gem which was located next door to our Hotel. I have never experienced japanese food like this before and served tapas style,the duck was exquisite, the fish cooked to perfection, the freshest sashimi ever, all this served in a very quaint and traditional atmosphere. Altogether, a great experience.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Detroit, Michigan
“Food was excellent, service....eh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

If you like Japanese food, this place is great and definitely worth trying. Don't go expecting to order a California roll, though. It's rather authentic. The menu is more tapas style, with small portions for the table to share. There is a $25 minimum per person, no exceptions. The sake + ginger cocktail is AMAZING.
As for the service, it was a little odd. They are adamant about reservations and timeliness - which I understand and appreciate, but this was a bit much. Our reservation was for 10p and we were told if the entire party was not there by 10:15p that the door would be locked because they close at 11p. That said, we were rushed the entire time. Any time I inquired about something on the menu, the server immediately wanted to add it to my order without answering my question. We were also asked if we wanted dessert while we were ordering our entrees (many people, myself included, haven't made that decision yet). They started cleaning up at 10:26p and it was clear that we couldn't order anything else even if we wanted to. So that definitely took away from our experience again, though the food was very very good and I'd go back based on that alone.

• Visited November 2013
“Tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We tried the tasting menu (omakase). Glad we did. You can pick a price per person, and let the waiter choose your courses, our experience was excellent. Food and service were exceptional and the tastes could not have been better. Some of what we had, baked tile fish with garlic, red snapper mixed with rice, traditional sashimi, sliced duck, miso soup, salad with shredded crab. All wonderful, with our favorites being the red snapper with rice, sliced duck and baked tile fish. Would certainly go back again. For desert, the green tea tiramisu was not my "cup of tea", but was good.

Visited November 2013