“Wonderful and different Japanese meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aburiya Kinnosuke

Aburiya Kinnosuke
213 E 45th St, Frnt 1, New York City, NY 10017-3318 (Midtown)
212-867-5454
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Sharon, Connecticut
“Wonderful and different Japanese meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We came here with a party of six and had a separate room, but don't expect it too be quieter. The food was excellent and we had the aburiya omakase which is a set menu. Each selection was tasty and many different selections compared to the normal Japanese fare, and price is $70/person. Wines run about $50-120 or more per bottle. Service was a bit slow as the evening wore on. They said that we were only allowed 2 hours, but when we left after 2.5 hours, there were several tables available so maybe they were more understanding since this was during the week. They also tack on 20% service charge for the party of six, so be prepared, especially if you don't normally add that percentage. Getting more water took time and the second bottle took some time also. We were served by several different servers, so it was difficult to say which server wasn't fulfilling their part. Definitely a place to visit, but reservations are recommended.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Will definitely be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stumbled at this restaurant by accident. Because another Japanese place that we're going to turned us away. We really didn't know what to expect. Had to wait for about 20 mins for a table - as we didn't have reservations. Figured its worth waiting that trying to find another place. Worth the wait. Food was fresh and tasty. Service was prompt and efficiency - very Japanese. Try the saki menu - it's worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Matawan, New Jersey
“They seem not to care...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The food is superb. I am no expert but the menu seems very true to Japanese. Not the Japanese you eat in Japan, but the Japanese the local's ancestors ate.

Portions are very small. Very. But thats OK if thats what is expected, so no problem.

Food is amazing. No less than amazing. Quality is high. Cooking your own 4 tiny slices of Japanese beef on a tiny hibachi is fun.

We arrived 30 min before opening. They were annoyed we were early even though I pointed out to them that that is the time listed on their active website. A little run. We were ferried to the street to wait.

We did not have a reservation, as since we were there when opening, gambled it would be OK at 5:30 to get a table.

They begrudgingly offered us a table at 6.
Restaurant is terifically dark, tables are tiny, chairs are small. Likely not catering to large Americans.

Atmosphere seemed genuine.

If you want the green tea tiramisu desert order it first as soon as you sit down because it sells out quickly.

After about an hour (I guess), while eating our entree, we were told we have to leave in 10 minutes to give thetable to someone else. Not very well handled and again definitely rude but as I was there at the suggestion of the friend I waswith I just smiled about it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ashland, Virginia
“Tokyo Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Nondescript entrance off 45th Street belies trip to Tokyo when you enter doors. Excellent service and food with view of kitchen where as much attention is given to arrangement of plate as the to the preparation. Enjoyed shrimp tempura and Black Rock Fish. Causal atmosphere adds to enjoyment.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai
“Interesting side of Japanese cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My experience with Japanese cuisine has mostly been limited to sushi, sashimi and sake. So, when my friend and I were thinking of a nice Japanese meal in Manhattan, that's what I expected. But Aburiya Kinnosuke's authentic and interesting menu, devoid of any maki rolls (!) has whetted my appetite for more Japanese culinary adventures.

I especially loved the fresh and absolutely delectable tofu that quivered and gleamed alluringly in its bowl and was to be had with three different types of salt -- wasabi-infused, Himalayan rock salt and sea salt. I would have liked my main -- a lovely slice of cod marinated in miso -- to have a dash of sweetness to it, but it was really fresh and succulent nevertheless. Dessert was a green tea ice-cream which I didn't like at all, as it left a very acerbic coating on my palate. I dug into my friend's dessert instead.

What I loved about the place is the understated yet traditional decor that is the perfect foil for a very contemporary menu. And seriously, the loo is simply fab... fragrant and mood-lit with so many different settings for the simple wash-and-dry routine that you have to wonder which menu is more varied!

• Visited June 2012