“Unless you go to Japan, you just can't get better robata!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aburiya Kinnosuke

Aburiya Kinnosuke
213 E 45th St, Frnt 1, New York City, NY 10017-3318 (Midtown)
212-867-5454
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Los Angeles
“Unless you go to Japan, you just can't get better robata!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've been on a serious Japanese streak here and I'm not even trying. Just got to NY for a short trip and got here a day early so did a quick search for a restaurant near by. I'm staying at the Royalton, great hotel btw, and did a search on my zagat app. I actually had to scroll past a page and saw that Aburiya Kinnosuke was one of the only one's w out a icon and since it had a respectable food score I looked into it. It was 6 blocks away and I love walking in NY so off I went.

First of all unless you are looking specifically for this place you will NEVER find it. Sign is actually parallel to the street and can only be seen from the sidewalk or if you pass it and look back, not to mention it has a very small dark long entry way which is beautifully lined with dimly lit glass encased saki displays. From the time you enter the hallway you are seriously in Japan! They do serve sashimi but they specialize in robata (grilled skewers). Everything is authentic as you can get. My favorite was the 3 fish skewer plate which is actually served on a sizzling hot rock. I didn't have a bad dish and their saki menu is legendary. I have never seen such an extensive and rare saki menu. One of the features I liked is you can order any of them by the glass if you like. Most places only offer the premium sakis by the bottle. Even better is how your "glass" is served. The waitress places a small glass in the center of a small open wooden box cup or "masu" . Then she pours the saki until it fills the glass and runs over and fills the wooden masu as well. The first visit I was by myself and the waitress, even though she spoke broken english, really took an interest to find the saki I liked the best. At one point she brought over 5 bottles (very expensive) and gave me complimentary tastings off all of them!

I was so impressed with this place I bought back a party of 6 the next evening and we had our own private room which was fantastic as well. There was even a rep from one of the saki makers there that night who came into our room and gave several saki samples as well. We closed the place down that night and must have sent through 6 bottles of saki. Everyone was impressed with this place. How can one not be. I true diamond.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Wow..Nice Midtown surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Go here if you want a totally different Japanese dining experience!
Loved how different it was. (Didn't love how high my bf's bill was...ha!) But worth it to go once for the tasting experience.

Homemade tofu with 3 flavored salts - delicious and I'm not a huge fan of tofu.
Shrimp on sizzling platter with asparagus- this would have been 5 star. The table next to us got it (you are close together here) and made me want to order it. Their shrimp looked succulent, the asparagus the perfect cooked shade of green and plentiful thick sauce. Unfortunately our platter came out WAY overdone -- the sauce dried up, the asparagus were overcooked. Still it was very good and if cooked right it would have been delicious.
Sashimi - good. Toro.
Pork belly- I think we ordered the wrong option as there was another pork belly on the menu. This - not too good. For all that fat and calories, pork belly should be tender and delicious how it is at some other restaurants.
The chicken teriyaki- like no other.. Served with a soft boiled egg you dip into.. This was ground up chicken in a roll shape with asparagus inside and the most delicious, thick teriyaki sauce!
You have to order bowls of sushi rice separately - and I ordered two- their rice was that good!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Good food and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We enjoy our dining experience. We set a budget ie.$80 per person and let our server arranges for the courses. The food is great with combination of sushi, sashimi, grill, tofu, etc. We all are happy and satisfied with the recommendation.
The decor and atmosphere are not sophisticated, and your clothes do get smelly after the meal because of the ventilation. That is the sad part of the dining experience, especially if you are going to attend a function or meeting thereafter.

Visited July 2012
London
“Quality food, good spot for Japanese in Midtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I came here with a group of 7 people and after a bit of trouble negotiating the menu, which was a somewhat difficult to understand, we had a very good meal. Problematically, those that ordered the pork dish had to wait until most of us had finished our mains, but they said it was worth the wait. We ordered a bunch of the skewers to share and they were delicious, the scallops and seabass were standouts and done with a very appealing presentation, still cooking on their hot stones. The slow cooked dishes were excellent, served in a rich broth, I had the beef, it was delicately flavoured and extremely satisfying. The waiter was impossible to understand and didn't seem to understand us, but it didn't really matter and we had a very enjoyable evening!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Princeton, New Jersey
“Excellent Izakaya style restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Went there with a large family group of 7 (incl. two children). Made advance reservations, and we were seated promptly. We ordered a bunch of appetisers and small plates. Somebody ordered the sashimi dinner, and another ordered the grilled fish. The kids found tempura, and a beef and potato stew that they were OK with.

I had just been to Japan couple weeks before I went to this restaurant. I think this is comparable to restaurants in Japan. (Also carries suntory beer; sign of an authentic place :) It is a nice, informal alternative to the usual sushi/sashimi menus at most Japanese restaurants in the US.

• Visited December 2011