“I'd go back there!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Room in Soho Loft

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Room in Soho Loft
153 Lafayette Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Neuchâtel
“I'd go back there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I have stayed in the loft in May and I'd definitely go back there if I have the occasion to come back to New York - it was my first time there.

The place is quite central but still in a quiet quarter where it's possible to chill a bit when you come back from the buzzing centre, it's close to Times Square, there are subway stations on the other street (Broadway!), as well to some grocery shops which can be useful.

The place itself is warm, as the hosts Albert and Michèle are. Both have a good knowledge of nice places where you wanna go according to what you're looking for (restaurants, bars, etc.). The living room with open kitchen (that you can use) is pretty big, with couches and always a nice jazzy song in the background. You'll meet Albert and Michèle and the other guests there, from all around the world, which is cool if you enjoy this kind of contacts as I do.
There's a small bathroom with shower, with saved space for the stuff of every guest. The room we had was really nice, even though it might be considered as "small" for some people. We've been personally very happy there.

2 levels up, there's Albert and Michèle's art gallery, with some of Albert's work as well as some other artists'. It's worth a visit!

In conclusion, I'd say that it's definitely a place that we recommend! It's probably not the cheapest way to stay in New York but totally competitive with the hotels in this area of the city - and way more personal! Plus, since the place is close to "everything", you save money and time spent on the transports, which is as well precious in such a big city. You just follow my advice, take the "Door Test" when you arrive there and you'll just have a great quality time in New York!

Greg and Fabienne

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I had a great stay here in May 2012 while in Manhattan on business. It's a great value: competitive prices for Manhattan and a much nicer place to stay than most hotels. Albert, the owner, was friendly and helpful and gave many tips on enjoying New York. The location is great (Lower Manhattan, near Chinatown and Little Italy, close to the subway). The wifi was fast. Everything was clean and neat, and the decorations (mostly art made by Albert) made it a beautiful place to stay. The living room/kitchen was large and comfortable. Recommended.

One note: the B&B is in a 7th floor walkup.There is an elevator, but it only runs during business hours. This wasn't a problem for me, but if you have trouble with stairs, it could be a more of a challenge for you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We have just stayed in the Phillipine room for 5 nights. Albert and Michele are very friendly and knowledgeable about the area and gave us heaps of tips about good things to do and places to eat. Our room on the 7th floor is part of the art gallery space and it is beautiful and spacious. Everything you need is here, no TV but in New York who wants to watch TV? It is in the heart of SoHo, 2 streets away from Mulberry Street in Little Italy, close to Chinatown and only a few blocks from the music venues of Greenwich Village. Very central to all the cool New York spots and slightly away from the madding crowds of mid town. Really comfortable accommodation, 7 flights of stairs every day will work off all the yummy food you'll be eating. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Phillipine room has it's own bathroom and is larger than the other one on the 7th floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011 via mobile

My Husbo & I stayed here for 8 nights during our epic honeymoon road trip of the USA.
Albert, Michele & Philipine were superb hosts. Super friendly, & very knowledgable about the neighborhood, they made our stay easy & relaxing.
The art that is all around the apartment is beautiful & beds are lovely & comfortable.
We have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending Room in Soho.
It was more intimate than a faceless hotel & certainly more memorable!
:) :) :)

• Stayed December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I really enjoyed my time at Albert and Michele's place. It's their home - which makes it a very cosy stay.
You have a room - and you share the kitchen/lounge/bathroom if on the 5th floor.

At first I found myself sneaking around trying to stay out of the way of dinner parties/wine tastings/family time which made me a little uncomfortable like I was intruding - but then I realised that I was more than welcome to come and go and to enjoy being a part of their home.

This was a very special place to stay. Albert and Michelle provided home baked bread, lists of great places to eat, activities to do, advice, assistance, great converstaion.

I recommend the Room in Soho Loft for anyone looking for an authentic NYC experience.
As a solo traveller = this was a big bonus as I was able to ask for ideas on where to go.

Sharing a bathroom was completely fine - I never had to wait to use it. Sharing the kitchen was also fine - and the coffee was always ready when I woke up!

I had the red room - and it was SO comfy. I had read that - and yes it most certainly was! It was a little noisy from the lounge but lovely and arty.

The location of this place can't be beaten - it's close to one of the coolest parts of NYC and it is very safe and well connected to the subway. I felt comfortable walking around a the wee hours and coming home late/waking up early.

Part of me doesn't want to share all these good things - so that this place keeps it's quiet authentic nature! but I know as travellers you need the advice to make a good decision and have a memorable experience.

And this place is both those things.

Go on pick it - and enjoy your stay!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Writing this review from Albert's kitchen, which feels a little like our own kitchen after 9 nights NYC in this great loft in Soho. Our first 2 times NYC we stayed around Midtown, so we decided to do something different now. And different it was. After a very warm welcome (including a list with New York hotspots - which we would refered to as our little 'bible') Albert showed us the Yellow Room (clean, great beds, view over Lafayette). The other nights we stayed at the Phillipine's room (clean, private bathroom, quiet, beautiful art). The loft is a really special place in NYC with a great touch of French hospitability. Albert and Philliphine convinced us to go live in NYC, but till then we definitely would love to come back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I found Albert and Michele's loft online and were looking for a last-minute booking for our week long stay in NY. Their place was booked out except for the Green Room so we ended up making the booking and were pleasantly surprised (despite the hosts saying that the room was small). Our room was clean and definitely more than enough room for 2 people with luggage and bags; surprisingly quiet during the night despite facing Lafayette (which is actually a nicer quiet street compared to what's surrounding their place).
The loft itself is a great piece of property and if you're looking for a true NYC SoHo experience, without hesitation I would recommend staying here.

Michele and Albert were AMAZING hosts, Michele introduced us to the area and also provided a list of their fave local "hot spots" including eateries, activities, parks , shopping etc. Arriving first (as my boyfriend and I had to book separate flights), Michele and Albert made me feel at home despite being in such a massive city on my own for a day. They were also very nice to invite my boyfriend and I to the pre-party for the Affordable Art Fair where Albert was exhibiting and Michele was working, that was a TRUE NY experience and we are SO grateful for them extending invites to us!

Location is FANTASTIC, you are literally central to all tourist hotspots or within a 2 - 10 minute walk from all major subway lines which take you anywhere your heart desires in NYC. If you are looking for shopping they are about a 30 - 40 min walk (or 5 - 10 min subway ride) from the infamous Century 21 (and the WTC memorial site) and literally 1 minute away from Broadway and luxury shops like Jill Sander, Prada and top vintage shopping.

I can't say enough nice things about our stay here, avoid the cookie-cutter Hotel experience that so many people vie for and stay at Room in Soho instead! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: We here the 7th floor rooms are the place to stay (you get a private bathroom) but the 5th floor was...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Room in Soho Loft? Share your experiences!