“A vegetarian's delight plus a cheese shop” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kashkaval

Kashkaval
856 9th Ave, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)
(212) 581-8282
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #574 of 12,022 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Collingswood, New Jersey
“A vegetarian's delight plus a cheese shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stopped here for a quick lunch prior to a show on Broadway this past weekend. My wife and I were in the mood for vegetables and had 2 friends along for the ride so we shared about 8-10 veggie dishes and a cheese/meat plate. So much for a lite bite! The spreads/salads/veggies were great. The cheese and chorizo/salumi plate was excellent as well. This place is a cheese shop which has a few tables in the back. Service was just ok- i.e. slow, but friendly and helpful. In fairness to the waitress the salad plates have to be assembled and it was pretty busy. This is a great place. I would definitely go here again.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Corner Brook, Canada
“Service was terrible. Food ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Quaint spot. Very small. Nice atmosphere. Good selection of wine. Food was ok. The service was terrible. I asked our server about the portion sizes, she wasn't really able to answer. She brought our food & never came back. We would have had another glass of wine, maybe more food. We went to the bar to pay. The guy said our server finished her shift & went home. I explained that she didn't tell us & no one came by to check on us. He said well I didn't see you ask for anything. Seems the service is an overall issue here.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Delicious and Lovely Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The food at Kashkaval is seriously good. The talking stops because everyone is too busy eating and the service is great. I love going to unwind with a glass of wine or a cocktail and some amazing food. It's a relatively small restaurant so it can get a bit crowded but that's to be expected in NYC especially at a quality restaurant.

Visited February 2014
Boonton, New Jersey
“Always Full”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is a wine bar, deli, restaurant with a mediterranean twist. Great place for a glass or two of wine with primarily selections from the mediterranean region but not exclusively. They have a large selection of wines by the glass and the pours are pretty good. The wait staff is friendly and will often let you try a wine before you order it. If you stay for dinner or lunch the food is also quite good. They have several entrees but they also have two sorts of combo platter. Once with cheeses and meats (salami, prosciutto, jamon, etc.) and the other is different spreads like hummus, babaganush, avocado dips, etc. You can get a choice of three, four or five combinations. The portions are plentiful and well prepared. It is a relatively small place and is always crowded so get there early. It is a good pre-theater spot. I noticed that they have a sister restaurant a couple doors down 9th. Will try it sometime.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Almost perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The only problem I encountered was that my cheese fondue was a bit too liquid (I compared with someone beside me who ordered the exact same fondue and it was not the same texture at all) and I never got the chance to complain about it to the waiter because he disappeared until it was time to pay...

The tables are a bit too close from each other, it felt like we were eating at the same table as our "neighbours" but I guess that's the price to pay when you eat in a popular place.

Everything else was delicious (olives and my husbands Chicken Kebab).

I was told it was going to close in a few months, that's too bad because it's the kind of spots where I like to eat and I would go back.

• Visited January 2014