“Great authentic Mexican food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Esquina

La Esquina
106 Kenmare St, New York City, NY 10012-4076 (SoHo)
646-613-1333
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoHo
Cross street: Kenmare Street
Transit: 6 train to Spring Street
“Great authentic Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Ordered tortilla soup, corn, chicken torta, and steak tacos. All were good but probably wouldn't order the chicken torta again.

Service was okay. They opened the door and we were sitting right next to the door and froze so they moved us. I later asked for them to close the door and he have us attitude.

Ambiance was okay, very small.

Overall we will be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

NYC
“Vibe Amazing, Food Good, Service Hit or Miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

La Esquina is a speakeasy-style restaurant below a basic taco stand of the same name. Reservations at a decent hour usually require two weeks notice, and catching someone on the reservation line is a matter luck. It is worth the effort. The dining room is downstairs, partly through the kitchen in what feels like an underground lair. In recent years I believe that took out tables to expand the bar area -- which is a negative for diners, but bars have higher profits than food. Speaking of which, the small plates are the best. The fondue, Acapulco cerviche (much better than the other cerviche), the Bistec tacos, the Pulpo (octopus) tostados are the definitely highlights. The service staff is great, but the wait staff is hit or miss. They are usually good, had one problem before, and most recently had a waitress that really tried to rush us. Our table ordered a bunch of small plates and said we might order more but wanted to see which ones we liked. She said she wanted us to order everything now because it was better for the kitchen. I understand if we were talking entrees, but not for small plates and appetizers. It was obvious she want to turn the tables over quickly for either more tips or to avoid a back-up of customers or both. Still, never had a restaurant pressure us to order all our small plates ahead of time, which we found rude. Anyway, the service is lacking at times, but the restaurant is great and highly recommended. Amazing atmosphere.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good place - also for a fun family night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had a great time at La Esquina.

- Managed to reserve in advance, no problems even for a large party of 8 thanks to some creativity and flexibility of the staff.
- Very special place, you can stay forever just having pre-drinks and margaritas, it is pretty interesting just chilling out and watching people in the lobby
- We got our table a bit later than expected - but were duly compensated with a round of free drinks.
- The very helpful staff quickly helped us to navigate the menu - and quickly offered the house special for larger parties, a custom mix of all the goodies that are available
- The food really lived up to expectations: grilled mexican corn, ceviche "acapulco", charred chipotle pork ribs etc. All delicious.
- Price-wise: The total bill for 8 people came to aroud USD 600 - not bad for the range of drinks and food we had.

Don't hesitate to make La Esquina part of your itinerary if you're trying out cool places to eat in NYC. You won't be disappointed.

Geelong, Australia
“Best Mexican - EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We were staying in Kenmare St @ Nolitan and decided to stop by here for an early dinner at 6pm.
Had read the rave reviews and hoped to score a table downstairs without a booking. What a great experience it was. After passing through the kitchen we headed to the bar for a fantastic blood orange margarita. After being seated, waitress recommended a starter of Queso fresco with banana chips avocado and salsa. Superb. Then the slow cooked chicken & stewed yuca tostadas followed by pulled pork and Mayan shrimp tacos!! Oh my.. Absolutely delicious. We thought Mamasita in Melbourne was the best Mex but this place blitzed it. Definitely worth a visit!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“I love it...breakfast to dinner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at the cafe for brunch and downstairs for dinner several times, thanks to awesome friends in the city introducing it to me....Every meal I've ever had there is delightful! I actually crave it when I'm even thousands of miles away, it's that good. It's not your typical 'Mexican restaurant' no chips but its better! I'm a huge fan and I never had to make reservations...maybe that's because my friends do?lol but I always sweep in and from the friendly host to the waiters and food, all of it's great. Always charming, friendly and great food! I was kindly introduced to it years ago so I'm repaying the favor with this review...wish I was having dinner there tonight!

• Visited September 2012