“Bad experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Achieve Guest House

Save Saved
You added Achieve Guest House to your Saves list
Achieve Guest House
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 E 126th St, btwn 5th Ave & Madison Ave, New York City, NY 10035 (Harlem)   |
Ranked #414 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The landlord definitely must have retouched the pictures he sent to me upfront. But if you take a closer look, it is horrible. I stayed in the 'Radio City' room for $3000/month because I was on business trip and was very busy and no time to search for some other room. But the room is absolutely cheap furnished and dirty. Not once the room got maintained and cleaned during my whole stay. When I moved in, one of the closets was filled with detergent. The aircondition and the shower head I had to sanitize with a spray I bought, because the air smelled absolutely bad while operating.
The mattress, the pillow and the bed blanket, everything smelled dingy and never washed or changed. The sheets and towels smelled like moth balls. I bought a bug protection for the mattress and slept on my own sheets, never used his stuff.

Room Tip: Don't ever book in Harlem. It is a poor and dirty area and rediculous expensive. They take you b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Big Lake, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We booked this hotel 2 months in advance and was confirmed for a room with 2 queen sized beds. We called to find out if we could check out late and was told they "decided" to just put us in a room with a bunk bed. Then we had a lot of hassle to cancel the reservation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

I've stayed at many, inexpensive places, in NYC and I always expect the same drab accommodations and I've never written about any of them since you get what you pay for - however, this place was totally different.

The staff were so attentive and caring. Whatever I needed was given to me. They were sooooo sweet. If I needed more towels I would receive them in a heart beat - I can't say enough of the staff there.

Moreover, the place was very very clean and when I arrived they had just finished remodeling some of the rooms - so I arrived in a freshly painted two toned room with very nice updated furnishings.

I can't say enough good things about the space and the people there. I would highly recommend this place for anyone visiting NYC.

• Liked — Staff and cleanliness
  • Disliked — 2 blocks from train - wish it was closer
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

The staff (Angelo & Christina) were fantastic and very helpful. The rooms are clean, but there needs to be more of an investment in paint/linens. The amenities listed were either not there, had to be asked for and provided by the staff or broken. It is not an area to be traveled in at night, but safe during the daytime. The rooms do not have phones, the cable T.V. is fuzzy and the computer didn't work and had to be fixed by us! The rooms are secure and for the most part quiet. Be prepared to walk as the neighbourhood is far from midtown.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

What I loved about this place is that it is IMMACULATELY clean, the staff of two, who live on the premises where so very friendly. It was decorated very nicely.

I rented their smallest room but they had a few different styles. Anthony, who is the caretaker there and extremely friendly, showed me (for a future stay) their 975 sq foot private apartment which is HUGE and decorated so nicely. Although, that apt was not as much as I'd like to spend, but the price was definitely less expensive than a hotel and moreover, if you are thinking of traveling with 6 people I would definitely advise you to take the apt - extremely inexpensive that way.

In a nutshell, the place was extremely clean, the doors were all electronic (made me feel very safe), the staff very friendly, and their body wash and shampoo smelled soooooo good. I'd stay there again.

• Liked — cleanliness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — hmmm, can't think of anything.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Achieve Guest House? Share your experiences!