“Remodeling - Family Rooms are Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square

You added TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square to your Saves list
TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Formerly Best Western Plus) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #365 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Beaumont, Texas
“Remodeling - Family Rooms are Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was leery to rent this hotel due to the mixed reviews but I am very happy I did. The hotel is being remodeled from it's prior life as Best Western Presidential so not all the rooms are as great as ours was...yet. The room was spacious and clean enough that I was willing to walk barefoot on the floor. That says a lot. The halls and elevator are very narrow but that is no problem when you have a spacious, clean room.

GPS Tip - when using the GPS or trying to utilize NYC transit, the hotel is still recognized as Best Western.

The hotel is in a great location and we were able to get to most destinations in a short amount of time and with reasonable cab fare when taking a taxi.

Only issue - Ice machines were taking out to reinstall new ones. Had to go all the way to the front desk each time we needed ice.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Northbrook, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I thought I had booked the TRYP Times Square South, which is new and clean, but was told on arrival that my room was at Times Square. So I went there and what a different hotel. I was there on business, and went up to my room on the 5th floor. The dirty maids cart greeted me off the elevator, the hallway was hot, had no air conditioning and the carpet in the hallway was grossly dirty. My room had the dirtiest linoloeum floor ever, you could see dried drops of whatever on the floor! And an old exercise bike was in the corner of the room. Half of the lighbulbs were burned out. I sat on the bed, as that was the only place to sit other than the bed, and used the dirty phone to call reception. They were quite attentive and moved me up the the 12th floor, which was a much cleaner room, although the TV did not work. I went to three floors to get ice from the ice machine and there is just an empty room where the ice machine used to be. They gave me free breakfast coupons, although the breakfast room is dark and looks like an old nightclub. It is TImes Square, so it probably is an old nightclub. The staff was very nice and professional, but the hotel is yucky.

Room Tip: Only get on a upper floor. Not a lower floor at all.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Three 25-27 year old British girls staying in New York for the first time for sights, shows and parties. We were looking at apartments and came across an amazing deal for TRYP on hotels.com.

I've rated the hotel 5/5 because there was no point in the holiday that the hotel hindered our experience and there was nothing to fault - it was a pleasant stay and if you are considering this, there is no reason why you shouldn't stay. Lots of people on Trip Advisor are so picky and crabby about any little thing. If you want a 5* hotel experience then stay in a 5* hotel! It's not a beach holiday, it's New York. We booked a room with a double bed and a pull out sofa bed but what we got was a double bed and large bunk beds, which suited us as we each got a bed. The room was spaced out like an apartment with two spacious separate areas, lots of full length mirrors (important for girls!), a fridge, a lovely bathroom, desk, two wardrobes, draws and a large wall-mounted TV. The air-con/heater was a large metal heater-style box but it did the job, the noise it made didn't matter. I hear the hotel is refurbished but a next step could be sleeker air-con/heaters. The decor is chic.

Also the location is AMAZING! Literally half a block and you're at Times Square. You go on holiday to spend time away from your hotel surely?!

I wouldn't say the reception staff had that American-style SUPER friendly welcome but they were helpful when we needed and you could call down any time to have new towels in 5 minutes. They gave us maps and directions. Our room was cleaned every day. We never heard other guests. The lifts were always fast.

The hotel reception was cool and art-deco, with a bar. It was great for photos before we hit the town each night.

Only 'problems' were the shower did spray some droplets of water into the main bathroom, but it was a huge walk in shower so it was great in itself, and we just laid a towel on the floor. Also the wifi worked some days and not others, but it was free anyway and there's wifi in every restaurant and attraction.

When I look at hotel reviews, I look out for cleanliness and no mention of bed bugs and location - anything else is a bonus but I'm not about to travel half was across the world to sit in a hotel room. This hotel definitely served our trip and I would recommend it! We were very sad to leave after 9 days - we wanted to stay!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Ashburn, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel needs a lot of help. The deluxe queen is anything but deluxe. There is about two feet surrounding the bed. The air conditioning is louder than the street noise and there are no ice machines. Turn on the TV and you can barely make out the picture. The front desk staff is rude even for NY.

Don't stay here!

Stayed May 2015
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Let me start by saying I am not one to complain and usually like to make the best of every situation. That being said, we paid +$300 a night to stay at this disgusting hotel. When we first parked and went to check in, we were informed we were at the wrong hotel. We were at The TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South location, which apparently shares the exact same hotel name in which they are apparently not affiliated with. Fine. Our mistake? So we walked 10 blocks with our luggage to their other location. Not the best start but we were excited to finally arrive!

We checked in and took the smallest elevator I have ever been in, stuffed with 8 people, to our floor. We had room 828 which is directly in front of the elevators. This may actually be have been worse than the econo lodge we stayed in the night before. They skimp on everything. There are no tissues, no garbage cans in the bathroom, there wasn't even a hair dryer in the room. The elevator makes a loud squeaking on every single floor it hits ALL NIGHT LONG. When we complained, the man at the front desk was absolutely useless. He offered us some ear plugs! How kind when you've paid over $300 a night. With some more complaints, he was finally able to squeeze out some complimentary buffet breakfast cards and said we would be able to come and have our room changed the next morning.

The breakfast was a whole other story. It actually felt like we were in an SNL skit. A very brash man running the restaurant said we could seat ourselves and offered us coffee. He then went around serving coffee to every table except ours. He laughed about it and then served us coffee just as we were finishing our food. The buffet is tiny- some donuts, eggs and bacon. The hot food in the buffet trays was all gone and we had to ask them to make some more. The worst part was when I asked for some water. The man went to the tap, fills up a jug and pours me warm tap water. We were absolutely horrified.

The next day, a much nicer woman at the front desk changed our room without hassle. We simply left our bags packed in our room and they were moved to our new room when we came back later that day. We still could hear the elevator squeaking from the new room but decided just to throw in the towel without ruining our last day in New York City.

The positives of this hotel is the location. If you are into the action of Times Square, this hotel is a block away from it all. It is very easy to get around from the location. The lobby itself is very posh looking. The wifi was excellent in our first room however once we changed rooms we were on a higher floor and had a hard time getting the signal. Unfortunately, that's about it. The hotel lobby bar seemed to be lively with lots of people. Stay away.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room close to the elevator (rooms ending in 00 and 28 or 29)
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
kizzy h, Front Office Manager at TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square, responded to this review, 1 week ago

We also understand that our hotel is very unique in regards to the design and the size of our rooms and that the structure of the rooms may not be for everyone. However, from the rave reviews we have received so far from other travelers, we are confident that we are providing a unique and fresh experience for our guests.

I would love an opportunity to discuss your stay and experiences with you directly, and am confident that I can restore your faith in us. I can be contacted at 212-632-9006, or kharris@tryptimessquarehotel.com. I look forward hearing back from you!

Kizzy Harris
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel was filthy! Staff very rude!
I checked into a room on the second floor very spacious but the water didn't drain and it was very noisy all night so I moved to a higher floor. The room was half the size and there was no heating I called reception and they said they would send someone up but no one came for an hour so I called back and the RUDE receptionist said she knows and he's too busy to come now so he'll be there soon. He came up half an hour later and started it but it was very loud and it was smelling. Then the next day the TV stopped working and again I have to wait an hour and a half for someone to come up and fix it. Also the concierge was rude when I just went to confirm my transfer she shouted at me and said "you asked me yesterday why are you asking me again!!" Never staying here again the staff here clearly don't care about their guests.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Ben E, Front Office Manager at TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square, responded to this review, 1 week ago

We also understand that our hotel is very unique in regards to the design and the size of our rooms and that the structure of the rooms may not be for everyone. We invite you to return at a special rate in the future.

Please contact me directly at belie@tryptimessquarehotel.com for a return certificate.

Ben Elie-Director of Front Office
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Horrible hotel, dirty carpets on all floors, small rooms even for nyc. Music from nearby venues very loud. Go to yotel! This for 340 a night. Central location but so are many other hotels. I like the Yotel very much and it's less expensive.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Apologies, we are coming to the end of a multimillion dollar project. It is disappointing to hear that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. All of us here at TRYP Times Square Hotel take your comments very seriously, and we are eager to correct any failures on our part. We invite you to return at a special rate in the future.

Ben Elie-Director of Front Office

Been to TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square? Share your experiences!