“The most disgusting hotel I ever stayed at” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #360 of 458 Hotels in New York City
New York, United States
“The most disgusting hotel I ever stayed at”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Do not even attempt to book a room here unless you want to feel as though you need to bathe in bleach. My coworker and I booked two rooms here and the minute we arrived we were told there had been issues with the water earlier in the day, but the problem had been fixed. So we went to our rooms and sure enough the water was still not fixed. On top of the water not working properly, the hotel was filthy! My bathroom had mold on the ceiling, there was all sorts of crumbs and hair clumped up in the corner as though the bathroom had not been cleaned. The shower head was filled with some sort of brown glop. My heat was broken, so my bedroom had a space heater in it. The hallway of my floor smelled like cigarette smoke, and I am pregnant so it was not ideal nor was it safe for me or my unborn child. The whole experience was just awful. I would never stay at this hotel ever again and I would recommend all others to avoid this place. The staff was not helpful, the doorman was on his cell phone and didn't even attempt to open the door for us. The front desk guy didn't even speak English and the woman who was directing us where to park was so rude. Overall the worst experience I have ever had in my 10 years of business travel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
South Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is not a high end hotel but it does the job it's clean has a comfortable bed and decent shower also for the security conscious there's a safe also free wifi .We had one issue during our stay when the heating went off reported it to front desk and it was fixed by the time we came back

The staff are friendly and helpful it does have a bar and restaurant on site.But the massive plus for this hotel is location . Come out of the hotel and turn right you have a bar/dining pub,next to that a theatre and a two minute walk into Times Square if you take a left out of the hotel your on 8th avenue shops ,pubs cafes you name it it's here .Its only a ten minute walk upto Central park if you go to Central Park be careful of taking a trike ride there's a guy in front who does the peddling but it can cost upto 6 dollars a minute if he pedals slow it can quickly mount up .I like to walk round central park you see so much more and in daylight perfectly safe

Room Tip: There's no tip on choosing a room if you don't like the one they gave you they will change i...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
kizzy h, Assistant Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for the kind words about our hotel and staff. We appreciate you taking some time to share that with us. We are glad that you enjoyed yourself while at our property.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when you are in the New York City Area.

Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Went with a bunch of people, so we booked four rooms (which were shown as being the same online). Some rooms were huge (for New York hotels), and others were tiny. Husband and I were 'lucky' enough to get one of the tiny rooms, while another person who was staying alone had one of those large rooms. Now I know it's common for rooms to be quite small in New York, but this was so small that we literally had to climb over our luggage to move. Bathroom was so small that you could touch opposite walls at the same time.

AC was old and huge. Rooms were noisy due to construction (but that's just the norm in New York). Also, if you get a room next to the lifts you might not get the best sleep since the walls seem to be paper thin.

Another couple in our group also had hot water problems, and was a very big hassle to get sorted out. Not great since they had a 4 month old with them...

I would stay there again, like I said location was amazing, but would definitely be requesting a larger room when booking. On a higher floor. Away from the lifts. And request hot water...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 212-632-9006.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this comment. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

mariashbridge@hotmail.com, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

When we arrived the staff were unsympathetic stating our reservation had been cancelled !!!!!! because my card had been automatically renewed and the card I had used had been cancelled. I did not think anything of this. It should have been checked when I booked. They sent me an e-mail at 18.00hrs warning my reservation would be cancelled then an e-mail at 19.25hrs when i was still in the air on my way to the USA to cancel my reservation. We were then given an inferier room and ended up being charged more for it. It ruined the start of our holiday. We tried to speak to a manager for 4 days every morning we asked and were told he was in a meeting we sat one morning and waited for 30minutes and he still did not appear. we were totally disappointed with the way we were treated and will never book any these hotels again. Mari Ashbridge

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 212-632-9006.

melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Not a great hotel buts its close to Times Square and subway stations.
We were in a "deluxe" room facing the street and it wasnt noisy apart from the garbos in the morning, bathroom was small and dated but served its purpose,
No real complaints

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
kizzy h, Assistant Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the experience during your stay at Best Western President Hotel. Your comments are highly appreciated and shared with our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to New York City.

Kizzy Harris
LIVONIA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is not your traditional BW hotel. too many items broken or in poor condition. Did not get any support from the front office. Beds are lumpy and the noise from the streets and their is a fire station behind BW and sirens were going off all night

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Mary P, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Ksridsdale,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. We appreciate your feedback.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. We are in the process of remodeling the hotel.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again once the renovations are complete so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Mary P
Assistant Front Office Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Perfect, affordable and quiet location only one block from Times Square and in the heart of the theatre district! Quality staff, well maintained property. Every encounter with staff members (front desk, housekeeping, bell stand, transportation services, night security) was positive & professional. Particularly Suny at the front desk, Alvaro on the bell staff (who took exceptional care of my personal belongings) and Parker on night security. The staff is professional, friendly, and very helpful. Of particular note, this property has many long term staff members on site, which speaks to quality management. There is a transportation service on site that booked my shuttle to JFK for the lowest price I've ever paid in NYC and fastest, most courteous service. I visit NYC twice yearly and always choose this property for its consistent quality and service, as well as fabulous location. You can't beat it. There are several restaurants within steps of the hotel, including Hurley's restaurant & bar right next door. For theatre buffs, Joe Allen (a famous pre- and post-theatre NY staple for diners) is two blocks away. Two theaters are on the same block as this hotel. The Longacre Theatre, right next door, is currently featuring James Earl Jones' "You Can't Take It With You", and the Walter Kerr Theatre is right across the street. This is a total gem in Manhattan!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mary D,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. We appreciate your kind words and the five star rating. We thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again when you are in the New York City area again!

Mary P
Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square? Share your experiences!