“Not up to brand standard” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #351 of 451 hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“Not up to brand standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in several Best Western Hotels across the country, mostly BW Plus, and can say this one is just doesn't have the crisp touches required by the brand. The level of cleanliness is only slightly below par, but certainly could be improved. Some notables: a lobby floor which stayed uncleaned all weekend and some minor mold issues in the bathroom. The real problem is upkeep of the rooms. The shabby tattered furniture, spots of walls in half state of repair,and several issues in my room. I don't like calling for help, but had no choice because the TV wouldn't change channels;neither with a remote nor manually. The fix required a master remote and simple reprogram of channels, but should have been attended to before the room was released. The guy also went behind the bed to plug in my nightstand lamp. Again ,it should have been checked by housekeeping. The rattly,rusty, tattered and dirty air conditioning unit hardly worked , but I didn't have time for another interruption, so I just suffered. The Lobby looks as though it was remodeled within 5 years, and the decor is not entirely offensive. The decor in the halls, however, well forgive the phrase favored by my teenage kids ,but OMG LOL .They have purple ceilings and trim with the gaudiest purple flower print wallpaper ever manufactured......But hey it is in Times Square....You can walk to the theatre. Just wouldn't be fair to the others who do follow brand standards if I were to not complain.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear chad h,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do have managers on duty most of the day to try and help you through every challenge. If you would like to speak with me further about your stay please contact me at 212-632-9006.

Thomas P
Director of Front Office
Best Western President Hotel at Times Square, New York City

1,945 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Greek first
Dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

You read reports, and OMG, can you be serious. This hotel is in the heart of NYC........the city that never sleeps......so think about that BEFORE you book, and then go on to "slate" the hotel.
Check In - quick, simple......very welcoming. Remember, it's not all about them, being nice is a two way thing. You are not entitled to an upgrade, if you want one, then book it at the time of booking.
Lifts - quick, and easy to use.
Room -(520). Not the biggest, but had everything we wanted. Managed a soak in the bath, and I am 6ft. Iron, board, hair drier. Coffee maker. Room was clean, and cleaned daily. We had one "small issue" which was dealt with swiftly, and fully resolved.
Area - busy, busy, busy. Fab for everything. Subway, Broadway, Central Park, Bars. Go to Stitch Bar, down to 37th between 7th and 8th........great place.
We took the subway, and got on the L train to Williamsburg. Let's you see the real NY. Bars were amazing......try the Isle Of Skye, as for Scott.
Overall, 100% satisfied.
Tip, try the box office for each show, we got tickets for Mamma Mia $59 each, excellent price. Tell them you have a email from Telecharge, offering cheap tickets for $59, worked for us.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here in February 2014. The location is great! Restaurants, bars, breakfast places, shops, subway stations, bus stations etc. are all within a few blocks.

The check-in process was quick and the reception staff was courteous. The look and feel of the lobby could definitely be improved. It was dark and gloomy with strange blue lighting.

The elevators were rickety and could use some maintenance. We were fortunately on a higher floor and I was glad since the street noise was not that audible. The passageway leading to our room was quite narrow and it kept me wondering how someone a bit healthier would make their way through along with luggage.

The rooms were quite small as expected with most Manhattan hotel rooms. The decor, furniture & fixtures and electrical fittings left much to be desired but were working and served their purpose just fine.

The highlight for us was the small patio adjoining our room. It was perfect for us to enjoy the snowfall!

For the location, I think the price we paid for this hotel was ok.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Willards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We found our two rooms (queen suites) to be more than adequate and roomy. After all, we were only there to sleep! The beds were comfy, the room was clean. Hotel staff was helpful. Close proximity to theaters and Times Square is another selling point for this hotel. And to top it off......the price was GREAT!!!!! Did not use restaurant on site, but there are plenty of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Nice hotel in awesome location at a super reasonable price. Staff was exteremely friendly and helpful, which is a nice change from other NYC hotels. Lovely lobby. Free internet. All the theaters are within a 2-3 city-block walk.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Friends and I recently stayed at this hotel, and the best part of our stay, was how close the hotel was to Times Square. It was so easy to get around the city from here!
The service at the hotel was really horrible. The staff did not make you feel welcome at all. Our check in was done by Alfonso, who was rude, and did actually tell us anything about the hotel, just handed us a bit paper. When asked where the lift was and how to get to our room, he pointed behind us and very sarcastically said "there". We asked for tea bags and milk, and we given a couple of tea bags and was told there was no chance of us getting any milk.
The next morning we waited for up to 5 minutes at the front desk before we were actually acknowledged by the night manager, and all we wanted was some directions on which subway train to catch to get the Statue of Liberty ferry.
Later in the week, I asked reception, and once Alfonso was on, to help us book a shuttle to the airport. He looked at me, pointed to my hand in which I was holding my phone, and he told me I can book a shuttle on my phone. He did not want to help at all.
I was eventually told that concierge could help me tomorrow. When speaking with the concierge the next day, he looked half asleep at his desk, and blatantly told us there was no chance in us ever getting a taxi as we were leaving so early in the morning, so the only thing to do would be to get a private car. We felt so ripped off the next morning when we were waiting for our private car, and numerous taxis drove past the hotel.
The standards of housekeeping were not much better. Everyday there was something that was not replaced. First it started with the cups, then it was the face washers an hand towels. If we wanted them, we had to ask, and that always felt as if we were bugging them.
Although, the staff were happy to give us extra towels an shampoo.
There was a day when our beds were not made properly, and that a pillow case, and other linen that were clearly not for our room, were left by housekeeping in our room.
Our room was always so hot, that we had to keep a window open all the time, just so it could cool down slightly.
As people who work in the hospitality industry, the standard of service was not very good, and management should really look at this, and especially with the way housekeeping clean stay rooms.
If we ever provided the service we received in our workplaces, we would not have a job today.
If we were ever to return to NYC, we will not be staying at this hotel, and will certainly not be recommending this property to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over valantines weekend and the best thing abput the hotel by far is the location! Just off times square and close to tge subway perfect.
The room its self was small and tiny by American standards comparable to a travel lodge here in the UK! The room had everything you needed but was a little old in places and could do with a 'deep clean' in my opinion as it was a little neglected!
But since we were only in new York for a weekend we spent very little time in the room and tge bed was super comfy! The heating in the room was good and there was a coffee machine!
The biggwst negative I felt was the lack of customer service in tge hotel which I've never experienced before in the US no real welcome and I experienced quite rude attitudes to other guests!
If you are just looking for a place to rest your head while exploring NYC this place is in a good location and if you get it at a good price I'd recommend it!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square? Share your experiences!